Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DON't USE A GASCHECK!!!

DON't USE A GASCHECK!!!

I heard a new one today......

Lead boolits are alright to shoot, but don't use a gascheck!!! They'll come off and get lodged in your barrel and you'll ruin your rifle!!!

Has anyone ever heard this one?

I have now!

Boolit Master
    Who was the gun know-it-all that said that?
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

That has been floating around since the bullet molds were made by the Ideal company.

It is an old wives tale of the first water.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I say we perpetuate this myth! More gas checks for those of us who actually deserve to use them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I say we perpetuate this myth! More gas checks for those of us who actually deserve to use them.
    Concentrate on perpetuating the myth that shooting cast bullets leads to leading. Less people to compete with for lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have been waiting on my gas checks for months now. But with the govt shut down and the PO closed today there will be no money in the mail............again.

At least gas prices at the pump are getting more reasonable So I don't need as many checks to buy it.

WAAAAAAAAAAT?

WHHOOOOOOOOOO?

WHEEEEEEEEEEEERE?

........never mind!

banger HA........ha!

In Remembrance

I seem to remember both reading and hearing this scare item back in the `60`s about using Lyman`s type of non crimp on gas checks. Of course these warnings were inflated and baseless hot air by people that didn`t cast or reload.Robert

Boolit Master
    There is some possibility of truth. If your bullet base extends below the base of the cartridge case neck it is possible for a poorly crimped or seated check to come off in the case. In this instance it is possible for a check to become lodged in the bore.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master
    Even if a gas check were to say stop or lodge in the bore do you really think it would cause a catastrophic barrel rupture? I have seen hunting rifles that had the muzzle shoved in the dirt split a barrel, but that is quite a bit of an obstruction. I would imagine a gas check would be pushed ahead of the pressure from the bullet unless it was lodges sideways. If it was sideways there would be no pressure except behind the bullet. In that case the pressure could go above SAMI specs for the cartridge, but they test those to like 20,000psi above published data for most cartridges.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It's always good to check on dumb statements like that. If the info doesn't come from this board, it's probably not right. Someone here will make a statement, half dozen more will chime in why he isn't right, give two dozen other solutions to a problem, and finally shake down to the best way to do something. In your case, don't talk to anyone from other boards, or that don't shoot cast!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

If my gas checks have ever come off, I must have shot them out of the barrel and not noticed, and this after many thousands of checked rounds.

1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Master
    Back in 78 we had a so called competition pistol builder turn up at our club, he went on about how dangerous it was to use gas checks. For some reason he got offended when I told him he had two male bits as no one could be that silly playing with one. The malfunctions his demoes had is another story.

Boolit Master
    I am checking to confirm but I believe that I read in Phil Sharpes 1937 Complete Guide to Handloading that it is dangerous to load ammo where the gas check is below the case neck because damaged rifles have been attributed to the gas check coming off and becoming a bore obstruction. I could not find by PDF of the book and am downloading it again.

Attachment 84396

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 10-15-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Found the ref.

Just might have to use some jb weld. that ought to hold em' on.
    Last edited by Garyshome; 10-22-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee Cruise Missile`bullet as cast (.2695) for my 6.5 Carcano and fix the gas checks with a drop of Lok-Tite.
    I seat the bullets within the case neck and have never had a problem with the checks coming loose.

ukrifleman

If you put a gas check on the front it'll become a bore obstruction and ring your barrel.

Boolit Master
    A tight-fitting lead or jaxketed "plug" exits the barrel at ____fps,
    but a thin copper or aluminiumum disc could seal the chamber?
    Seems like it would be destroyed and ejected.
    See if there's any reference in the article to someone having found
    a gas check still in the case of a damaged rifle, or similar.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    A tight-fitting lead or jaxketed "plug" exits the barrel at ____fps,
    but a thin copper or aluminiumum disc could seal the chamber?
    Seems like it would be destroyed and ejected.
    See if there's any reference in the article to someone having found
    a gas check still in the case of a damaged rifle, or similar.
    I think it all depends on were the loose gas check ends up. All the dangerous scenarios seem very low probability but it is hard to ignore Phil Sharpe's commentary. If the gas check was to stick sideways in the throat and a round is chambered trapping the gas check between the bullet and the barrel that could be a problem or if the gas check was sideways farther down the barrel it could act like a bore obstruction.

Phil's contention that many guns were destroyed because of loose gas checks seems hard to believe. I put it in the same category as small charges of slow powders can cause a dangerous detonation. I find it hard to believe but I see no reason tempt fate.

I don't use small charges of slow powders and I don't seat bullets with gas checks below the neck.

Tim