Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning for those who use the VA for Health Care

I would have told him "Read the Bill Of Rights".

Boolit Master

This has been an interesting thread.

Boolit Master

I have had VA care since 2006, and I haven't been questioned here in St. Liberal Louis, Mo. If they ask, I'll just tell them no and thats the answer to all your questions.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

I think it depends on your situation and your Dr. That being said i have been under VA psychological health care since 2010. They have never asked me if i own guns. The only thing i have been asked is do i think i am a danger to myself or to others. Both answers are a emphatic no. I have no issues passing NICS/PICS. I think most people get too scared of certain things and lie to keep their gun rights (which they do not even know if they are after them) in the process they don't get the help they may actually need. I for one will fight tooth and nail before they take my guns.

Andy

Boolit Man

I have a 100% VA disability for PTSD and have had it for 5 years now. I got my CCW in April of this year with no problems. The VA has only asked me if I have my weapons secured at home.

Boolit Master

Must be something going around! I have been using the same Dr for more than 5 years (civilian, not VA) and never heard a word about guns. Then at my regular appt. last week as we are discussing prescriptions and routine blood work, he asks about "guns in the home." I said "Doc don't even go there." He didn't say anything else and we left it there. The rest of the visit went normally.

Maybe there is a renewed push by someone high up in the medical hierarchy. But this is the first MY Dr has mentioned it.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy

The only time I have been asked was when I was getting consuling at a vet center.Stupid woman wouldnt let it go. Last time I went there.I am 70% disabled vet for PTSD and I have been really worried about guns and the VA.So far no issues, I try to avoid them at all cost.Not to mention the healthcare suxs

read the Bad Oder Care rules folk, it's there.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Are you meaning "bad older care"?

If so, I'm 70, and get excellent care at the VA, both Primary, Oncology, Eyewear, Hearing, etc., etc.
    Last edited by jcwit; 09-25-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Sheriff Andy said I could have a gun as long as I kept the one bullet I have in my shirt pocket.

Banned

I did not lol.

Andy

Banned

i received great care when i could get a appointment that is why i have a civilian primary care dr now. But i still see their psych.

Andy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher4851 View Post
    I agree with Bihica793, but only to an extent. Yes, she has a right to her opinion, and to voice it under the FIRST AMENDMENT. The problem stems from the fact that she is in a position of power and is trying to take away our right, granted by our creator and guaranteed to us by the SECOND AMENDMENT. She has sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution, and by her attempts to circumvent our rights, has broken said oath and should be scorned at the very least, regardless of her personal beliefs.
    JMHO
    Plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I did not lol.

Andy
    OOps ....busted!!

Boolit Buddy

Finally got in touch with Rep Bridenstine's office today. The lady I talked to said they have received a large number of complaints about this, both about civilian doctors and the VA grilling people on guns and their sex lives. She told me this is a new requirement of ObamaCare. The wording of the reg is a little vague but they believe all doctors are required to council a patient about guns every time they see the patient. I was told Rep Bridenstine is against this, but barring a miracle in the Senate, we are going to be subjected to this from now on. It is another of the oh so pleasant surprises that were buried in Obamacare.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    Finally got in touch with Rep Bridenstine's office today. The lady I talked to said they have received a large number of complaints about this, both about civilian doctors and the VA grilling people on guns and their sex lives. She told me this is a new requirement of ObamaCare. The wording of the reg is a little vague but they believe all doctors are required to council a patient about guns every time they see the patient. I was told Rep Bridenstine is against this, but barring a miracle in the Senate, we are going to be subjected to this from now on. It is another of the oh so pleasant surprises that were buried in Obamacare.
    I'm not a Vet so my Doctors are all civilian docs but if one ever ask me I will tell them to read the bill of rights. If they ever ask me again I'll walk out and find a new Dr.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    I'm not a Vet so my Doctors are all civilian docs but if one ever ask me I will tell them to read the bill of rights. If they ever ask me again I'll walk out and find a new Dr.
    Better start checking the Yellow Pages! LOL
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

Buried in Obamacare

(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—

‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.— A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to—

‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully- possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or

‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
‘‘

(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the collection of any in- formation relating to—

‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition;

‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or

‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition.

Boolit Master

Thanks MaryB! Do you have a section # or page # for this? I don't want to have to plow thru the whole thing, but I want a copy to give to my Dr if he ever asks again.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

I think this the Doctors themselves or maybe the Administrator doing this on their own,I have never had either to ask about my guns at the DeBakey VA Hospital in Houston or at the outpatient clinic in Beaumont,TX