Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning BLR in .358 Win

Boolit Master

Browning BLR in .358 Win

I've got a table at a three day gun show and have been offered a clean .358 Win BLR with a Redfield 4x scope. He's asking $600.00 and it sounds a little high to me. In your estimation, what would be a fair deal. Gun is in NRA excellent condition.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Moderator Emeritus

I bought one 3 1/2 years ago for $500 and thought I stole it. No rings or mounts. The kicker would be if it had more than one magazine as they run $45-$60. Pre-81 blr mags that hang down below the gun are unobtanium and run well over $125 on e-bay when they show up. I bought a newer one for the 81 BLR from an inmate here labelled 257 Roberts that feeds the 358 well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I ran across a BLR at a pawn shop. It was about 90% condition and had a couple of serious bangs in the stock. Price on it was 799.00. Gun prices today seem to me to be at least 20% higher than I think is reasonable. In my opinion $550.00 would be more correct but the .358 is rarer.

Vendor Sponsor

Do you actually want the gun? If you do then get it. if you don't then try to grind him down.

The price is fair, as they don't come up that often.

I have a rule, and I try to follow it as much as possible.

1. If something that I really want comes under my nose and I have the money to buy it,,, I buy it. The decision was already made.

2. If it is something that I kinda want, and I have the money but want other things more, I might buy it, might not.

Or if I see it's a screamin' deal on something I know I can make money on I'll probably buy it.

I have regretted not buying quite a few things that I wish I had pulled the trigger on, only to find that they are now gone and not coming back anytime soon.

I try to minimize the feeling of "future regret" as much as possible.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Sold one of mine (steel frame.Md. in Japan,no scope,no mounts) during show set up locally about 18 Mo.ago, $595 to another indie, obviously a tad too cheap, but too busy the next two days to go see what he had marked it up to....fwiw Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Redfield scope might be worth over $100.00. That and the BLR for $600.00 is a great deal!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Well, I bought the set up, gun, scope, mounts and 1/2 box of factory ammo and have been deluged with offers to buy it for $650. I rather doubt that it will follow me home tomorrow. I was offered $20.00 for the 1/2 box of ammo and sold it, and so am now into the set-up for $480 total. Do youse guys think I should let it follow me home? After all, it ain't a .35 Whelen! What's the twist rate on this beast? Will it stabilize a 358009? Oh, well, maybe it will shoot an RCBS 35-200 satifactorily.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Shuz, you know you will hate yourself if you let it go. At least shoot it, you can always sell it at the next show if you don't like it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Ric--You devil you, talked me right into keeping it!
    Ray

Moderator Emeritus

Talking

Mine does not do as well with the 3589 as with the RCBS 200. Besides that Shuz, haven't you drawn your allotment of moose tags?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I'm jealous. I've been searching gun shows for a 358 BLR for years. I finally found a nice one laying on a table at a show last year. It was like new, and man, did I ever want it. Problem was that the dealer didn't want to sell it. Why would you bring a rifle to a gun show, put it on your table, and not want to sell? Oh well, the search continues.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    MT Gianni--When I hunt meese, I go to British Columbia where there is no drawing required. However we, as non-residents, do have to use a BC qualified outfitter. We do have rather large grey squirrels that have been infiltrating our pine squirrel population. Therefore since they are so much bigger, I figger I need more oomph like the 358009!
    Looks like I'll get a chance to see how each boolit works, as the BLR did follow me home.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Enablers of the world, unite!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    I have an old NEI 358-282 mold that throws 290gr. They have to be seated well below the neck to
    chamber in my BLR (pre 81) but they shoot extremely well. You won't regret the purchase and I doubt you'll resell soon!

Tim

Boolit Master
    OK, I took my .358 Win BLR down to the range with a few rounds just to see how it would shoot. It went bang alright, but the 2/ Ea 5 shot groups at 50 meters were about 2". I didn't have the chrono set up as it was too late in the day. The load was an RCBS 35-200 at Saeco 8 and .359 diameter with 23g of 2400,WLR primer, and necked up .308 Win R-P Brass. OAL was 2.562.
    I had trouble with the magazine clip right off the bat. The cartridges did not wanna stay in the clip, but wanted to jump out as I tried to load it. Is there a secret to how to load the clip? The clip has cal.243 ,cal.308 and cal.358 inscribed on it at the rear of the clip, so it would appear the it is the correct clip. This clip hangs down about 5/8 of an inch when inserted into the rifle. Is this gun a pre 81 BLR? The serial number is 3046xRR12x(with the x's designated on the gun by a number). Can anyone tell me what year it was made, etc?
    The trigger had an enormous amount of creep. Is that normal for these guns? What is the twist rate? Can anyone point me toward a tutorial on takedown. HELP!

Boolit Master
    Bump to the top to see if I can get any help with this new toy!

Did you start with the basic slugging of the bore?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Did you start with the basic slugging of the bore?
    Ric, I've not had much success with bore slugging. Especially with this gun, how do I get the slug out of the bore once it's in there if I don't know how to disassemble it? What I am trying to do is try various sizes of boolits until I find one that works best.So far with this gun I started with .359. It's not the accuracy I'm concerned about as much as what is the Model number, how do I take it down and put it back together and how to load the clip without the cartridges flying all over the place. I'd also like to know when this gun was mf'd. Also, are all the triggers on these BLR's as creepy as this one?
    I know you are a great fan of the .358 Win, what gun(s) are yours? What powder(s) have you found to work best with cast boolits?--Ray

Boolit Buddy
    My 358win is a 700 with a Douglas tube. Varget is my go to powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Ric, I've not had much success with bore slugging. Especially with this gun, how do I get the slug out of the bore once it's in there if I don't know how to disassemble it? What I am trying to do is try various sizes of boolits until I find one that works best.So far with this gun I started with .359. It's not the accuracy I'm concerned about as much as what is the Model number, how do I take it down and put it back together and how to load the clip without the cartridges flying all over the place. I'd also like to know when this gun was mf'd. Also, are all the triggers on these BLR's as creepy as this one?
    I know you are a great fan of the .358 Win, what gun(s) are yours? What powder(s) have you found to work best with cast boolits?--Ray
    On lever actions, I have driven them completely through the bore, and letting them fall in the chamber. I've never taken apart a Browning, so can't help you there. You may need a dis-assembly book.
    I'd look around for another magazine, and compare the magazine lips. .308 based cases are REAL finicky about feed from a magazine. I only have bolt actions, and had some trials and errors before I got things functioning okay.
    The powder I've been using most is WC 852(f) with the heavier boolits.