WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helping new visitors here on the forum

Boolit Grand Master

Helping new visitors here on the forum

I'm all for helping people.

That is one of the reason's that I enjoy this forum so much. People have helped me, hopefully I've had opportunities to help others....that is the way it should be.

Of late, however, I've noticed a lot of questions from new visitors here. A large % of them don't bother reading any " stickies " or doing a search here on the forum to locate information, often times something as simple as going to " Google " with a question yields volumes of information. They do zero research, they just begin with questions that are often times asking many different things at the same time, many times if you answer them properly you'll be writing pages and pages. They seem to want us to do all of the " leg work " for them.

Recently , I and several others here on the forum tried to help a particular individual ( I think he had about 15 post ) who never even revisited the thread after he posted his initial question , never made a comment, never a thank you, etc. Several people pumped a lot of effort into trying to help that individual. He obviously didn't think enough of everyone's attempts to help him to even acknowledge their efforts.

Mother always told me - - - " Son, ......when someone tries to help you, the least you can do is say thank you. "

I realize that it is wrong to cast this " mindset " onto all of our new visitors as many of the newer forum members don't and would not engage in this type of activity and behavior.

But.....I'm seeing this more and more........

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree Ben.

I think more new casters need to understand that casting bad bullets isn't a failure, it is a learning experience. Leading a barrel is how you learn what doesn't work. It also teaches you how to clean leading from a barrel.

Learning to shoot cast bullets isn't done online. We can give tips and help but the real knowledge is learned at the bench trifecta.

Spend more time at the casting, loadi, and shooting bench. That will teach you the basics o casting and shooting in a big hurry.

You must go out and APPLY the knowledge gained from reading and asking questions here.

Nobody can tell you everything you need to know up front. Or enough time and much wouldn't make sense anyway.

Want to learn faster? Find a knowledgable caster near you and learn first hand.

I don't want people to stop asking questions. I want them to ask questions with a purpose and some knowledge behind them. Read some, cast some, load some, shoot some. After hat make some observations on what happened and how it compares to what you expected. Bring the results to us and let us help you understand what happened and why.

I can no more guarantee you success in shooting cast than I can guarantee you success in marriage. Both take time, energy, and willingness to work hard at it.

Boolit Grand Master
    So very well spoken btroj , I couldn't agree more.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for being so over welmed with all the information on the site and maybe needind some questions clarified. Maybe some people havnt used search engines before and dont know what to ask. As a newer person to this site im trying my best along with others to take it all in. There is new information posred everyday and it can seem very hard to take it in. But im sure you know all this information and seem very upset all these people want to get into a great hobby. I guess this site isnt for me then if people dont want to be friemdly and helping. Guess its time to move on. And also to contact any of the sponsers that they will lose my money and more newbies monies. Sorry to waste your time. But thank you because you need a pat on the back.

Boolit Master
    1++ on what btroj posted. I'm kind of glad I didn't have the internet back when I started casting and handloading..made me re - read all those "obsolete" tomes like Complete Guide To Handloading! I have noticed this at work also..young apprectice who doesn't know squat about what he is about to do..asks me a question..and when I give him the answer..wants to argue with me about it! It's not just the youngsters either..alot of the old guys are too lazy to learn new skills. I too have noticed there are very few thank you's forthcoming on this and other sites.

Boolit Grand Master

Mrblue,

This is the friendliest site on the web. If you think a casual comment, directed at no one in
    particular is somehow a personal attack and constitutes a reason to "move on", then goodbye.
    Sorry you have such thin skin.

If you really want to learn, read the stickies, ask one or two things like "What is a good book to
    read to get started?" or similar 'self help' type of questions. Once you take a bit of time
    to learn some of the basics, if some of it doesn't make much sense - please ask. Try some
    stuff and ask about specific issues that you run into. We really do expect some self help effort.

OTOH, if you want to get huffy and leave. Have at it.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 03-26-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I for one was taught by both my parents to be appreciative of any help whenever and however given It costs nothing but a little time to say than k you to someone .I have been reading the posts here =for several years before I joined and even then I have not posted very much .But let me be very clear on this THANK YOU to all how have answered my questions >The wealth of knowledge here is greatly responsible for my poor fumbling attempts to be a boolitt caster

Boolit Grand Master

Pulse - Thanks for spending time reading and studying, making the effort.

And - You are very welcome, sir. Hope I have contributed in some way.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned
    Now that we have addressed the lazy and selfish maybe we can do something with the stupid and stubborn. Or, maybe not.

Ben, You have been an extrordinary source of info to me as well as many others here. For sure there are always some who just don't appreciate what this site really is. I do feel that the vast majority are not like mrblue and are actually tuned in to how things work best for all. The "pay it forward" attitude here is what makes it the most valuable online community I have ever been a part of.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont have thin skin. It just pisses me off that some of you guys that have been around for a while and have done plenty are getting mad at us guys who arnt as wise and need help. However this is not the same days asbwhen you guys did start. Most older people are set in their ways. However the younger generations are very different. We have lost a lot of things expected of the older generations. Heck i view this forum and reply via my phone. There are apps out there for guns for phones. It goes both ways. The older generations have to play catch up with technology. And our younger generation actually gets more upset with people because they cant use techno properly. So give us some slack. And help out and yes dont always expect a thank you from us. Do unto ur neighbor. It might take some time but he might eventually help you

Boolit Grand Master
    I suppose I should feel very fortunate to have gotten a first hand teaching in the ways of reloading and casting. I forget that not everyone can have that. What a shame.

Nothing i said was meant to discourage people from asking questions. I just want them to go out and gain first hand experience. Reading and asking questions alone won't cut it.

I can read up on surgery all I want but until I have years with a scalpel in my hand I am just a poorly trained butcher.

Please, newbies, read up sme then pick a safe load and go shoot some of what you cast. Leading a barrel is a learning tool. The school of hard knocks works well in casting. Don't ever be afraid to try something different as long as it follows e basic safety guidelines required of any shooting sport.

I would far rather hear about what you saw on your target than what you read on a website. Shoot, observe, learn. That is what it is all about.

Most important, have fun. Most of us don't cast to save money. We cast because we have an image need to screw around with stuff. We are tinkerers. We can't help it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Ben, You have been an extrordinary source of info to me as well as many others here. For sure there are always some who just don't appreciate what this site really is. I do feel that the vast majority are not like mrblue and are actually tuned in to how things work best for all. The "pay it forward" attitude here is what makes it the most valuable online community I have ever been a part of.
    Thanks Shredder,

You are correct, the "pay it forward" attitude displayed here speaks volumes about the help offered to other forum members.

My comments were not intended to be offensive to anyone. We need new members to grow and flourish.

I continue to welcome our new forum members and will gladly offer my help to anyone and I'm certain this is also the attitude of the other forum members here on Castboolits. I read daily all the efforts that forum members ( young and old ) offer to try and help other members with casting and reloading problems.

However, when you've offered that help and the individual who asked the original question(s) doesn't even respond or interact it makes it difficult to help.

I would like to repeat one more time what I wrote in the OP :

I realize that it is wrong to cast this " mindset " onto all of our new visitors as many of the newer forum members don't and would not engage in this type of activity and behavior.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2013 at 10:11 PM.

I am a new member and can attest to the wealth of information a click or two away on this site. In fact a note book, a few evenings sticky browsing and searching resulted in beautifully cast hollow points right out of the chute... Thanks to all the members that contribute here. This is perhaps the most friendly forum I have happened upon and the OP is on point.
    “It is a dangerous notion that we need a government to protect us
    from ourselves.” ― Ron Paul

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
    As a new guy here, I have to say that everyone seems very helpful, and I truly appreciate that. For my part, I will say that part of the issue is the overwhelming amount of information on the forum. I guess in this hurry hurry lifesytlye we lead nowadays even a search feature gives us too much of a good thing that is sometimes hard for new folks to distill. I do agree however that experience is often the best teacher. For my part, I pledge to try and make more time to gain that experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
    I dont have thin skin. It just pisses me off that some of you guys that have been around for a while and have done plenty are getting mad at us guys who arnt as wise and need help. However this is not the same days asbwhen you guys did start. Most older people are set in their ways. However the younger generations are very different. We have lost a lot of things expected of the older generations. Heck i view this forum and reply via my phone. There are apps out there for guns for phones. It goes both ways. The older generations have to play catch up with technology. And our younger generation actually gets more upset with people because they cant use techno properly. So give us some slack. And help out and yes dont always expect a thank you from us. Do unto ur neighbor. It might take some time but he might eventually help you
    Don't be too sure about the older generation not catching up with technology, more likely than not they or we depending on your point of view invented it.
    Keep in mind not all the newer people are young, many are older, I expect I'm right in the middle here at 46, and you are correct much can be learned from the young as can from any age.
    Try not to let your anger get in the way here, I don't know if the original post was about you or someone else, I believe that the original intent of Ben was to simply remind people that a simple "Thank You" goes a long way.
    Don't know what your handle means, but if it has the meaning I thing it does, you'll understand this, "Those who stay will be champions".
    By the way, Ben sold me my first lube-sizer at a very good price and gave me helpful tips when I started, I later passed it on to a new fellow at the same price. This is a good place with good people, not everyone is perfect, but neither is life.

Boolit Master

Ben, as much as I appreciate the service you've given this forum, I must disagree (to an extent) with you. Some people do search. But don't know exactly what they're searching for. And others, as pointed out in the post above, may be unfamiliar with the workings of a search engine or forum. I have clients that I meet every day that still don't have a computer. So having said that. I don't, and never will understand why one must scold at newcomers instead of just being polite, answering their question, and either telling them what to search for, or providing them a link. That tone that you have there is a reason why I do not frequent several boards where I do have an account. And the super friendly atmosphere is the reason I've been an active member and contributor here for such a long time.

Now Ben, I'm not saying you were being impolite with that post. However, the fact that you posted it in the first place shows that you are becoming extremely irritated by it. And that in itself is enough to ward off any newcomers who are honestly trying to do the right thing along with the ones who won't try to do the right thing. I don't like answering the same question over and over either. But then again, I have the discretion of deciding for myself whether I'm going to answer or not, as do you. If it irritates you, maybe you should just pass over the thread and go on to read something that perks your interest.

Just my .02
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe after 5000 posts I would feel the same way. Hard to believe anyone can get to that post count in 8 years and not see the same (stupid?) questions over and over again.

Still, we need those with experience to guide us and shorten the journey for people who are struggling. It is a tough balance to cater to the "entitlement - instant gratification" attitude of some and those who need advice to prevent poor choices or solve a problem. In the end, it is a personal call. If you think someone deserves help - help them. If not, do not post. If you do not feed the parasites they go away.

In fairness, the search engine sucks. At least for me. I just did a search on "Lyman slug" and got over 1600 hits. Is there a way to search for Lyman slug and not have every thread with Lyman or slug hit? If this has been addressed before would someone please send me a link on how to search so I can learn?

Your assistance is thanked in advance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    In fairness, the search engine sucks. At least for me. I just did a search on "Lyman slug" and got over 1600 hits. Is there a way to search for Lyman slug and not have every thread with Lyman or slug hit? If this has been addressed before would someone please send me a link on how to search so I can learn?

Your assistance is thanked in advance.
    Try the HD Google Search engine I devised....

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...I8vy2gX_ioDYAg

Just hit space once or twice and type what you're looking for with a bit more precision.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Buddy
    I too think it very rude and disrespectful when they don't even come back and say thanks, or at least acknowledge the great amount of info we have given them. I know my post count is low, but I'm working under a new user name cause I LOST all my first user info. You are truely a good bunch of guys and very knowledgeable about casting bullets and all that goes with them.

I'm hoping to get out and cast some .40 S&W bullets tomorrow.