WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Wyoming?

Boolit Master

There is a bit of everything in Wyoming.
    Some of the most beautiful country in this nation resides within its borders.
    Also some of the most desolate, out side of Nevada.
    And about that wind everyone keeps mentioning...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wyoming_wind_sock.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	63114
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It doesn't say "Like No place on earth" for no reason. The wind never stops. It can be 85 and sunny here. and 30 miles away it can be 30 deg and snowing. I never saw weather anywhere like in Wy. I like the state. Thought about moving there but it just didn't fit my wants for somewhere to live. And it really wasn't as 'old ways' as I thought somewhere with under 500k population would be. You can thank Jackson Hole for some of that. Buying anything in the NW of the state that isn't expensive is a serious challenge.

Just found out they dumped that slogan. It was definitely the truth though. (turns out they changed it 12 years ago)

Boolit Master
    Last June, while traveling from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne, we stopped at Rawlings for gas and a pee. When I got out of the car, I was unexpectedly blown off balance by at least a 35 mph wind. (While driving, it had been a tailwind, so it had gone un-noticed.) I asked the attendant if that strong of a wind was normal for that time of year. His reply was, "What wind?"

Later, while driving from Keystone (Mt. Rushmore) to Billings we stopped in Sheridan for gas, and found that octane ratings were calculated to the half-percent. First time I'd seen it done that way. Weird.

Boolit Master
    Its windy, everyone is drunk all the time, antelope poop all over the place, no water, no trees, lots of smelly sage brush, very dusty, no work either....yep better stay out of Wyoming nothing to see here just keep on moving right into Utah.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bayjoe View Post
    Anybody mention its cold and windy. And a LONG WAY between towns
    How's that any different from southern Colorado? LOL!
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Boolit Master

They dont call it windyoming for for nothing!!
    I was coming back from riverton 3 weeks ago, 50-65mph wind gusts, blowing snow.
    Noticed my tonneau conver wass flipped up by the tailgate. Found a place i thought the wind wasn't blowing.
    Got out of truck and the wind gusted, ripping my tonneau cover up and slamming it on the truck cab. Couldn't get it off of cab the wind was so strong.
    Finally got it layed down in bed of truck, and went maybe 5 mi and it out of the blue stopped. About 10 mi outside Laramie.
    Wouldn't want to live in Rawlins...wind is ridiculous

Boolit Bub
    What wind?........Joe

Boolit Master
    You're also sitting on top of one of the biggest volcanoes on earth. If that bugger ever goes it'll take half the country with it and bury the other half in ash.

Happy times!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Anything you could ever want is somewhere in the state. It's just a long, long drive to get there.

Unless you like big cities, then you're completely SOL.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    You're also sitting on top of one of the biggest volcanoes on earth. If that bugger ever goes it'll take half the country with it and bury the other half in ash.

Happy times!!!
    I wouldn't worry about that too much. You would need to be east of Omaha, or north of Calgary Alberta to be outside of the initial blast area. West coast? Forgeddaboudit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

a little SW of where you'll be are the towns of Smoot & Afton. Twenty or so years back Afton used to have a neat taxidermy shop..
    Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thepoint View Post
    a little SW of where you'll be are the towns of Smoot & Afton. Twenty or so years back Afton used to have a neat taxidermy shop..
    Good Luck!!
    Since you know the place how in the World did you end up in Jersey?
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2thepoint View Post
    Good Luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Since you know the place how in the World did you end up in Jersey?
    Maybe the wind blew him there...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I gotta share a story about a young man from central Wyoming. This took place about 17 or 18 yrs ago. He was a college student, going to the U of I in Moscow and I first met him at a local watering hole, dance hall. Great kid, long, tall, lanky and always happy. He got himself hooked up with a gal (student) that hailed from Sandpoint, Id. One Sat. night I was bs'ing with him at the bar and he told me he had been invited to go elk hunting with his girlfriend's family up in the Lochsa country. I said that was neat, and assured him he would enjoy it. I had a moose hunter going in to the upper Selway country at the same time and said we may somehow see one another. Well when I was heading in with my hunt I saw the young man with a small bunch of folks , trucks, and horses as they were unloading at Wilderness Gateway trailhead as I hauled my load on up the Lochsa. I honked, waved he recognized me and waved back as I shot on by. Couple weeks later I ran into him at the bar again and asked how his hunt went. He alluded to the weather being pretty good, some snow, rain, sleet, but the wind was very calm. Then he added, you know where you saw me? I said yes. He said, I couldn't believe it but after we got mounted up and headed up the trail, we went up that mountain all day long and when we stopped to camp that night you could look down AND STILL SEE THE TRUCK!!! Said he had never seen anything like that before, but I sure got a chuckle out of it. Oh, they got a couple bulls and I think he ended up marrying that little gal. JW

Banned

glad doug reminded me of the dust.
    i remember sliding off a dirt road out by eden one time going straight.
    the dust was so fine and so deep i [wanna say hydroplaned] dirt planed right off the road in a 115,000 pound heavy haul 18 wheeler.

i was just driving along then poof [literally poof] couldn't see, couldn't steer,couldn't stop.
    everything just went brown.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    everything just went brown.
    Including...?
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

ive been there a few times, where we lived in colorado it was closer to go to cheyenne to get things than to get to fort collins CO. we drove up that hwy that goes from cheyenne to the close encounters of the third kind mountain thing, somebody mentioned the very few cops in the state but i found one and he caught me doin 85 in a 55. by the time i got done explainin that i lived in colorado but had a tennessee DL and surely couldnt have been going that fast he just chuckled and wrote me a $385 fast drivers award and bid me a nice day. happened somewhere around where theres a rock that looks like its flippin you the bird while you headed up the road. everybody i met was super nice and its pretty funny to see the occasional small car sized tumble weed run across the road

Boolit Master

It's the only state shaped like it's license plates!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    I have see it many times on the red desert where you would be standing in six inches of mud and the wind will still blow dust in your face.
    I spent the winter before last, south of wamsutter in a place called desolation flats leaning on the brake handle of a compleation rig. I have never been so cold since the winter I spent in prudhoe bay alaska.
    All in all I have a great love for the state, if my roots were not so deep here where I live now I would still have a bucking horse on my licence plate.

Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    It's the only state shaped like it's license plates!
    So what's Colorado?
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...