Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Does anyone PP for the 8x56R Steyr Rifle

Does anyone PP for the 8x56R Steyr Rifle

Another question since I just got a Steyr carbine. Does anyone PP for the 8x56R? What bullet size would you use? etc. ?

What does your bore slug? Start at .001/.0015 over BORE diameter and patch up to .001/.002 over groove diameter or as large as will fit the throat.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Another question since I just got a Steyr carbine. Does anyone PP for the 8x56R? What bullet size would you use? etc. ?
    Most of the 8x56R rifles here will accept 0.334" to 0.338" boolits easily.... long ones at that. The Lyman 323471 un sized and patched up with 16 lb paper should do fine.

The M 95 styer has bore and groove dimensions that sound like they are for a patched roundball, mine is .316 bore by .330 groove . I have heard of groove dimensions of as big as .334 , I don't know if the bore dimensions vary much but I would guess they do so slugging your bore is a real good idea no mater what you intend to shoot out of it but especially if you are going to try PP .

I do have one mould that makes a .316 bullet I was thinking of PP .

Quote Originally Posted by dnepr View Post
    The M 95 styer has bore and groove dimensions that sound like they are for a patched roundball, mine is .316 bore by .330 groove . I have heard of groove dimensions of as big as .334 , I don't know if the bore dimensions vary much but I would guess they do so slugging your bore is a real good idea no mater what you intend to shoot out of it but especially if you are going to try PP .
    Mine is also .316- .330 Thinking of using a .314 to .316 bullet and Patch up to .332? Guess a good j-word bullet would be .330?

Patching a .316" boolit with 20# paper should give you just what you need.

Boolit Bub
    the problems with these rifles, as reported by others, is that the throat is generally so worn that you can chamber a 338 cast...

what happens when you slug the barrel is you get a measurement of the smallest part of the barrel,in theory; it could be much larger at the throat and much larger at the muzzle, the only way to know if your barrel has this kind of problem is to slug it from different directions and only in short distances from the muzzle or chamber ends. hopefully, the muzzle end is tightest. otherwise, you would have the projectile swagging down in the middle and rattling down the last half of the bbl.

Sometimes you get lucky off the bat, others however obsess about the 8x56R till it works ok for them in one way or another.

mine is .316 and .331 yet puts the HRN J-words into a clover at 100yrds over a medium load of H414 and the same with the lee GCed at 50yrds over a mild load of 2400. haven't yet got a chance to load up any PP for it but there's no need for me yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmasailor View Post
    the problems with these rifles, as reported by others, is that the throat is generally so worn that you can chamber a 338 cast...

what happens when you slug the barrel is you get a measurement of the smallest part of the barrel,in theory; it could be much larger at the throat and much larger at the muzzle, the only way to know if your barrel has this kind of problem is to slug it from different directions and only in short distances from the muzzle or chamber ends. hopefully, the muzzle end is tightest. otherwise, you would have the projectile swagging down in the middle and rattling down the last half of the bbl.

Sometimes you get lucky off the bat, others however obsess about the 8x56R till it works ok for them in one way or another.

mine is .316 and .331 yet puts the HRN J-words into a clover at 100yrds over a medium load of H414 and the same with the lee GCed at 50yrds over a mild load of 2400. haven't yet got a chance to load up any PP for it but there's no need for me yet either.
    Which Lee bullet do you use?

Boolit Bub
    I lucked out and use the .329 lee has, they drop at .330 for me and the push thru sizer is .329

Quote Originally Posted by Cmasailor View Post
    I lucked out and use the .329 lee has, they drop at .330 for me and the push thru sizer is .329
    Thanks . with my bore and groove I was thinking I might be better off with the .329 mold, could always beagle it up a few thousands. I would think this better then sizing down the .338 bullet.

My thinking is that the throat would likely be larger then the bore and groove as already suggested. That is not a problem but a bonus. Hopefully the throat is worn large enough to allow seating the patched boolit that fits the throat without needing to size the case neck. And a nice heavy boolit should do it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    My thinking is that the throat would likely be larger then the bore and groove as already suggested. That is not a problem but a bonus. Hopefully the throat is worn large enough to allow seating the patched boolit that fits the throat without needing to size the case neck. And a nice heavy boolit should do it.
    Thanks for the information. Will give it a try.