WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on the panic buying epidemic

Here we are in NZ forum talking about you guys talking about this..)

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...num=1358412707

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by NZSarge View Post
    Here we are in NZ forum talking about you guys talking about this..)

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...num=1358412707
    Interesting read. Looks like the effects over here have put a hurt on you guys. Good Luck.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Being nosey, I just had to ask... Customer Service at CCI emailed me the following response :

"We make and ship 2,000,000 + primer a day, there is just a great demand right now.

Make Every Shot Count!
    Justin M.
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    CCI/Speer
    (866) 286-7436 "

Every other person that I have talked to over the phone just says that everyone is hoarding all the components.

The really sad thing is that prices have already started going up. I was warned late December while I was placing an order that prices on Primers and Gun Powder was going up in January. 2 different companies told me that it will take them months to cover all of the backorders they currently have after they start receiving normal inbound shipments again. One company that I deal with face to face told me that their supplier is rationing out all components to all their customers trying to keep everyone in business. Once they run out of primers and gun powder, they call their supplier and another small shipment arrives in 2 - 3 weeks. Most resellers have turned off backorder capability on their websites. Unless the manufacturers of primers, gun powder and ammunition really crank up production, we probably won't get back to normal this year.

Boolit Buddy
    Everything is pretty well cleaned out. I've had to start rationing my 22lr, since I can't resupply.

My husband has been partaking in this "Panic Buying". It rather annoys me. But, In the long run I know he is just doing it so that he has the means to protect us if he needs to. He wants to add a AR-15 to our gun safe, I think if he does we will need to invest in a bigger safe cuz ours is already well stocked.
    ~Andrea

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Thanks for the link. That's something new to me. The velocity is about the same as a CB, but the bullet weight is a full 40 grains, which is much more than the CB rounds usually have. That's interesting.
    Jim they were a new round from cci last year at the shot show and just now showed up at my LGS and so I bought some to try and was hooked so I went back and got me a good supply of them as most places I looked have never had them for long.

Went out last saturday at 14 degrees mind you and shot some, I like them a lot, they are somewhat quieter in a pistol but in a rifle the longer the barrel the less you hear when you pull the trigger. My brother's wife has very sensitive hearing so she can not shoot normal firearms as even with ear protection it is painful for her ears so now we have something she can shoot.

Once you get to using them and yes that 40 grain bullet was the reason I was on the hunt for them for so long and I am well satisfied with them.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Guess you can call me a hoarder if you want to but I grew up very poor. I got one box of ammo per gun per year. Thats what got me started handloading as a kid. When I got married and started raising a family still did not have much extra money. I am now retired and still do not have much money but enough to be comfortable. I stocked up when Bill Clinton first got elected. I have never bought during a panic but as I visit gun shows, gun auctions, and estate auctions I buy anything that I can use if it is cheap. Since I got my son-in-law into hunting, shooting, and handloading I give any excess to him. We load and shoot most all rifle calibers so I don't pass up any good deals. Went to a gun auction new years day and bought a box lot containing 6 boxes Sierra 243 bullets, 1 box 22 bullets and 2 boxes 45 cal. gas checks plus a bunch of round balls. I paid $30.00 for the box. Did I need it? Hell no, but I added them to my hoard. Will give the J-bullets to son-in-law and add the gas checks to my meager supply of about 15,000 various cal.
    Am I hoarding? You might say so but I have enough components to last many, many years. Since I only shoot cast boolits now, my son-in-law has enough J-bullets to last him. We also have enough powder and primers for many years and several bricks of 22 LR.

Happily stocked up.

Larry

Boolit Master

Stopped in at KY Gun Company last night and they had shelves full of primers, CCI and WW. Pretty dear price wise though. CCI that I looked at was $34.95 a K. Last I got was $18 something and I have plenty. The only thing I need is BR2s and they didn't have any of those. I was surprised that they had any since their black rifle stock and Hi-cap pistols disappeared over night. I didn't see any powder on their shelves though. Might be some in the back but didn't ask.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Just checked their website and they have CCI 500 Small Pistol $136.99 per 5000 but its "out of stock"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Just checked their website and they have CCI 500 Small Pistol $136.99 per 5000 but its "out of stock"
    Try calling them. I remember seeing some Lg Pistol and they had some WW primers which they don't list on the website. I didn't look for anything in particular just that they seemed to have lots of primers. When I tried pulling up Win. primers they didn't even have any listed.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Hah! $34.95 is cheap these days!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have no way of determining that.

That is the answer to your question.

Yes, I did it too.

I think you did exactly the right thing.

We must all assume that this is the last time.

If it turns out that we were wrong, then we must assume the next one is the last time.

Saving "stuff" you don't need against future needs is the very core of the conservative belief system.

Almost everyone on this forum would agree that you need to take care of your own future needs because "they" are not going to do it for you.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

this is different than the last time. if you can find any supplies and can afford the price...get them. the future will be less for more money or nothing at all. they are making their final push to take everything away from us. if you can't see that by now then you won't see it coming later. the American People have no one in Washington who will stand up for us. don't get caught with your pant's down around your ankles. i don't plan too. and Jim, don't feel bad.. i don't.. with my stock being low i ordered 20,000 primers soon to be delivered. wish i could find some small Mag. pistol primers.
    Rick

You need to store those primers in a cool dry place. I keep all of my primers in the house where the temp is controlled and the humidity is somewhat controlled.
    I've heard that some store their gun powder in freezers.
    I keep my primers stored upstairs and my powder downstairs. If my house ever catches on fire, run the other direction as fast as possible.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Member "I'll Make Mine" started [URL="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?180099-What-sense-does-this-make"]

that I really didn't need at the moment....

was I justified in buying a brick of ammo and some powder that I didn't need
    Only 2 kinds of ammo, enough and not enough.
    If you think did not have enough for whatever reason, it's OK to buy more.
    Obviously you thought you did not have enough.
    Purchase justified.

According to my wife I'm never justified in purchasing any firearms related material! She just dosent understand what not enough means. I have been in situations, not life or death, where there was not enough ammo and it aint good!

10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    To put things into perspective, there were +/-4Million M-1 Garands made during the Second World War(about four years). Americans bought 2.7 Million firearms in December of 2012(one month!). Those firearms require ammunition.

I'm sure everyone here remembers the ammo/primer shortage of 2008. The munitions manufacturers did not add more machinery, or much in the way of more personnel, because they knew that the run was temporary. They paid a bit of overtime, but did not put themselves on the hook for laying off unneeded labor after the boom, nor did they have to pay the cost of unneeded machinery after the boom. They'll make a bit of hay while the sun shines, but this too shall pass.

Unfortunately, while the price will come down, it will never come down to what it used to be. Just like the last time.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    10 Gauge- there is also no such a thing as Too Much Ammo. Unless you are carrying it and you are trying to swim or are on fire. As far as spousal approval concerning gun related stuff goes- mine is happy that we're pretty well set due to long term stored components and loaded rounds. She'll ask "Where's the ammo for my...?" but the question "Do we have ammo for my...?" would probably not even enter her mind at this point.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. I had a giant post all typed out, left to let the dog outside.

Came back and the baby had.... Removed it....

45 minutes worth of whinning.

Apparently she doesn't like my hoarding of components over the last decade.
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

My wife encourages me to buy more even if I think there is only a remote chance we may need it. She sure is sweet. Anyway, I'd probably be labeled as a hoarder if it was known what all that I have. My stash has been building for a number of years. I picked up some of my stash at good deals, other stuff I bought because I figured that I needed it or would need it. Do I have enough to last if it all shut down now? If it were just the wife and I, yes. But I figure that I'd have to help support family and friends. I'm already doing that now. I gave 9mm brass to two people. I promised to load some of the brass for one family who are trying to find J-Words to load. I'll have to spot them primers and powder. I've got several more requests for help but I haven't committed. I will make one guy a couple hundred 5.56 and another a couple hundred 40 S&W. I'm teaching one guy to reload now. The list goes on and gets longer as time goes by.
    The folks I'm loading for will be paying me but all I will ask is what I have tied up in the components that I use.

I really don't think this situation will get better soon. I do not think that we have seen the worst of it yet. I really think it will continue to get worse for a while. I believe the panic will get worse thus worse panic buying.
    As long as they are talking gun control in DC people will continue to panic. As these people discover the non availability of guns, ammo and reloading stuff, they will panic worse.

On another note; the wife and I will be heading to the range tomorrow to do some target shooting. She wants to try out my little 642 J-Frame. She doesn't care much for my XD-9. I want to play with my little P238 some and shoot a couple long guns. I'll scrounge what brass I can pick up but I look for the number of shooters to start decreasing due to ammo shortages so, less brass to find. More people have started saving brass now too instead of leaving it lying.
    I’d think in the next few weeks the range shooters will begin to thin out more. There will be guys there like me who are reloaders and have a stash built up. But the Zombie shooters and Rambo’s will start thinning out.
    A lot of law enforcement guys practice at my range and that brass was always easy pickings. They never pick up their brass but I’ve been reading that even the LE’s are having to cut back because even they can’t get ammo.

Who knows? Maybe I’m completely wrong. I sure would be glad if that were so…..
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I'm a hoarder of the worst kind until there's a shortage. Then I'm a guy with 20-20 foresight.
    An apt description of myself as well.

Gear