RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much?

Boolit Master

How much?

Would I give up in performance to use a 24/47 for a 35 whelen build? Been looking for a full size for quite a while with no joy. I'm thinking too much but thought I'ed ask.

Thanks Aaron

Banned

You might have a hard time ejecting a shell if you did not fire it. The shells will not fit in the magazine, so single loading only. I would go a 35-08.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    .... I would go a 35-08.
    Or the commercial equivalent, .358 Winchester.

Or if you want to squeeze the most performance out of that action, go .358-.284Win, that will get you the same powder capacity as the .35 Whelan in a shorter package and no boltface alterations.

Or if you don't mind altering the boltface, there is always the .350 Rem Mag. then you get the possibility of finding factory ammo or at least factory brass.

AnnieOakley
    Why not just make an 8mm 06? How much difference is there between 8mm and .358?

That's just as long as a 35 Whelen.

9X57 Mauser would work well, as would 9.3X57. It would still work in the magazine and be a little bigger than a 358 Win.

Boolit Master

Nobade, do you have any experience with a 9 x 57? Just curious, I always thought that a .35/9mm bullet in a 57mm case would be about optimal for cast bullet shooting. Lots of good .358 bullets, lots of good actions that will take 57mm length/.473 head size cases.

sbowers
    Ok men, first you the 35 whelen fit perfectly in a 24/47 mauser with no modifications to the magazine or the bolt face and it well feed from the magzine just fine, and it is a excellent round for any game in north America, in fact I know a PH who carries that very caliber mauser for a back in when guiding for planes game in South Africa.
    Steve

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieOakley View Post
    Why not just make an 8mm 06? How much difference is there between 8mm and .358?
    Smartass answer warning...

...about .037 inch...

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Nobade, do you have any experience with a 9 x 57? Just curious, I always thought that a .35/9mm bullet in a 57mm case would be about optimal for cast bullet shooting. Lots of good .358 bullets, lots of good actions that will take 57mm length/.473 head size cases.
    No I don't, though I sure do with 358 and 35 Whelen. I suppose it would pretty much split the difference between the two, which isn't very much until you get up to some pretty heavy boolits. I do know the 9X57 is rated at very low pressure and loaded to its rated limits it isn't as powerful as a 358. But loaded to 8X57 CIP pressure limits it would be quite lively.

Boolit Master
    you could relive the rear of the reciver ring the way f.n. did when they converted 8m/m 98's to .30-06.

Boolit Grand Master
    The .35x57 has been done, and was discussed on this board a few years ago.

Here is one thread from 2008, (longer ago than I thought): http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=35x57

It does sound like a good idea.

Robert

Banned

The whelen will not fit in the 24/47. It is not the same LR mauser as every other 98 out there. It is a intermediate length. The whelen barley fits in a normal 98 box.

Boolit Master
    the 358 win. would be a good choice, i don't think it's far behind the Whelen in horsepower.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If the 24/47 is already in 8X57, it is AWFUL hard to beat it as a cast, or jacketed chambering. It is already a kissing cousin to the .358 Win. It may be over bore with powder capacity a wee bit, but nothing a hand loader couldn't live with. If I wasn't building my own rifles, I would be happy, and maybe even overjoyed, with a 8X57 for my all around rifle in North America.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

sbowers
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The whelen will not fit in the 24/47. It is not the same LR mauser as every other 98 out there. It is a intermediate length. The whelen barley fits in a normal 98 box.
    That is strange I have one right here in my hands that I rebarreled with a shilen barrel and chambered in 35 whelen, I guess I forgot to tell it that it would not work.
    Steve

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sbowers View Post
    That is strange I have one right here in my hands that I rebarreled with a shilen barrel and chambered in 35 whelen, I guess I forgot to tell it that it would not work.
    Steve
    There must be some variation depending on maker or time period, because mine won't take a .30-06 into the mag box. (I don't have any loaded Whelen ammo to try)
    Also the loaded -'06 shell would not eject cleanly.

sbowers
    Ok folks let me say that I apologize mine is a VZ-24 not a 24/47 so I now have egg on my face, the 24/47 will not take a 35 whelen but the VZ-24 will, dang it hurts when you have to say I am wrong, but you have to do what is right.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sbowers View Post
    Ok folks let me say that I apologize mine is a VZ-24 not a 24/47 so I now have egg on my face, the 24/47 will not take a 35 whelen but the VZ-24 will, dang it hurts when you have to say I am wrong, but you have to do what is right.
    Steve
    cool, that will work for you. i'm just partial to the 35's, i love my 8x57's, but any 35 cal. just makes me day dream!

Boolit Master
    Thanks all! I should clairify, I have several oldies bought years ago (48's 48A's,24/47's and SR turks) but no LR 98actions to use this 35whelen barrel on.My plan had been to rethread it to SR for one of the turks but never happened.The 24/47 is LR so I was just brain farting some. Guess I'll hold out for the rethreading part. I do plan a 358win on a 24/47 or 48 when I get a barrel for one. Thanks again for all the replies!!

Aaron

sbowers
    Are you interested in selling the whelen barrel.
    steve