RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 2400 powder

Boolit Grand Master

Question 2400 powder

Anyone know if the alliant 2400 powder is different from the Hercules 2400 powder?????

Boolit Grand Master
    Just newer manufacture. Word is that the newer stuff might be a bit faster burning than the old.

Great powder

Boolit Master
    Great powder for a number of uses, most particularly the .22 Hornet.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Buddy
    Is a great powder ... especially for magnum handgun thru .44 Rem Mag w cast boolits. Has been very successful for me with a pistol gassed AR in 300 BLK as well.

Boolit Master
    There was an article I read detailing the two 2400's and they are close in burn rate and characteristics. Not much difference than what would be seen from lot to lot variation from what I gathered. All assuming the two powders are in good condition.

Boolit Master

What a friend told me, lots of experience on his part, is that his best results with 2400 was always on the upper end of the load reccomendation. I found that out with .357 Magnum and .357 Herrett. I have seen similar posts--upper end of load data--from others on this forum.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

I ran a fairly comprehensive comparison of Hercules 2400 and Alliant 2400 measuring velocity and pressure.

Check it out in this thread; http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...s+alliant+2400

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Well there you go..........Larry backs up what I remember reading in an article some where along the way (internet). Be damned if I can remember where I read it???????? Larry's thread is much more indepth with all the pressure readings, accuracy testing and velocity measurements. Good work!!!

Boolit Bub
    Larry, thank you for the good job. I have a powder bar on my Star Progressive Loader that throws 9.5 grains of Hercules Herco. I just bought a 1# can of Alliant Herco and noticed it was throwing 10.2 grains of the Alliant Herco. Did you happen to check that these powders weigh the same? Would appreciate knowing when you have time. Burntpowder (Clovis Gibson)

Banned

i have had weight differences in new cans of 2400 versus new cans of 2400 thought i had picked up a can of aa-2230 for a minute.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't measured Herco in numerous years. However, we must expect a weight to volume variation of many powders based on hunidity & temperature but mostly on lot to lot variation of the same powder. In the 2400 test I charges by weight not volume. I don't recall if there was a volume difference or how much of one, sorry. I can check as I've still got some of each powder used. However, it will be a while before I get my shop set up again as I'm mbuying/moving to a new place.

Larry Gibson

Banned

thought you were in arizona allready
    was wonderin why you hadn't changed your location.

Boolit Bub
    thank you Larry-burntpowder

Boolit Grand Master
    Great test Larry.
    I got two cans of the old Hercules.
    Just about out of the alliant.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by burntpowder View Post
    Larry, thank you for the good job. I have a powder bar on my Star Progressive Loader that throws 9.5 grains of Hercules Herco. I just bought a 1# can of Alliant Herco and noticed it was throwing 10.2 grains of the Alliant Herco. Did you happen to check that these powders weigh the same? Would appreciate knowing when you have time. Burntpowder (Clovis Gibson)
    I recently ran into the same thing with some newer Bullseye but this was new Alliant to some 4 yr old Alliant and Hercules BE. The bushing I've used for the past 20 yrs or so on my CH Auto Champ threw 4.2/BE (which is my std RN .38 spl load) and my newest 4 lb. keg of Alliant BE was 4.6 grs. Made me pretty nervous until I chrono'd the 4.6/BE load. The 4.6 load had identical 900 fps velocity and es and sd of the 4.2/BE load that I've been using forever. Same gun, cases, primers,and velocity so I don't see how the pressures can be much different. It will be interesting to see what the next keg will be.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle