Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chore Boy...brass or copper?

Chore Boy...brass or copper?

While killing a little time in Target the other day while my wife was gathering up a few things, I came across a copper kitchen pad (can't remember the name brand). Is a Chore Boy made out of brass or copper? I would imagine copper would probably be just about as effective removing lead, but I don't know.

In Remembrance

Yes, I believe they are the all copper chore-boy scrubbers that help clean a leaded bore. BEWARE of the copper plated STEEL chore-Boy pads that are on the shelves now due to the copper ones being used by drug users. A small magnet will tell you which is which.Robert

Boolit Master

Get some BRONZE WOOL and wrap your brush for Lead Removal. (Hardware Stores)

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Pure copper Chore Boy works great. O'cedar makes a pure copper scrubber too if your store doesn't carry Chore Boy. Do be careful not to get any of the copper coated steel ones.

In Remebrance

I never understood the whole Chore Boy thing. That stuff is like very, very coarse steel wool and people fret over getting the right stuff. Meanwhile, any hardware store will have 4/0 steel wool. No question about what it is. It will not harm your barrel, it's what it used to polish your high dollar custom rifle before bluing. Why people fret over getting the right Chore Boy when the easy answer is in the paint aisle I don't get.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Probably for the same reason Brownells do not recommend steel bore brushes. Read the link

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...L-BORE-BRUSHES
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I never understood the whole Chore Boy thing. That stuff is like very, very coarse steel wool and people fret over getting the right stuff. Meanwhile, any hardware store will have 4/0 steel wool. No question about what it is. It will not harm your barrel, it's what it used to polish your high dollar custom rifle before bluing. Why people fret over getting the right Chore Boy when the easy answer is in the paint aisle I don't get.
    Amen....I use the 0000 Steel wool and it is just fine. The Chore Boy is more difficult to work with. You need to wrap strands tightly around an old brush...with use the strands pull off/out. The steel wool is so much easirt to use. Also works superbly cleaning cylinders if you shoot specails in magnum cyliners. On those I spin the brush/steel wool with a drill//takes but a few seconds and no, there is no damage/wear from doing so.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Probably for the same reason Brownells do not recommend steel bore brushes. Read the link

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...L-BORE-BRUSHES
    We aren't talking about stainless steel wires at right angles to the bore. We're talking about steel wool strands of mild steel with the cutting edges running at an angle to the bore. Stainless has long been known to be harsh for use on barrels. SW is another animal altogether.

Boolit Buddy
    Chore boy is being used by drug users? Whatever for?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    Chore boy is being used by drug users? Whatever for?
    A small piece of clean heavy copper or stainless steel scouring pad, without soap, serves as a reduction base and flow modulator in which the crack cocaine "rock" can be melted and boiled to vapor. Although the metal scouring pad used for smoking crack does not have soap, they are often called a brillo or chore, named after Brillo brand pads or Chore Boy brand copper scouring pads.

According to: http://www.1888drugcrimes.com/articl...ck-cocaine.htm

Bren R.

Well I was told by the smith who rebored my rifle to use steel wool so I did, for awhile. Turns out the copper stuff is light years faster at taking out heavy leading. I still use both however.
    Is this a......what day is this??

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't think to much about them until I got a real bad leaded 30-30 worked on it on and off for a while for a few weeks tight jag and patches, brushes, soaking in lead remover I finally wrapped a few strands of copper chore boy on my brush and almost fell over when it pulled big gobs of lead out on the first stroke 4/0 steel wool do that don't know but I really doubt it

In Remebrance

No, 4/0 won't pull out as much per pass as a coarser grade, but then, I don't shoot until I get a sewer pipe in the first place. There nothing wrong with the copper Chore Boy, but how many people really need something that coarse? Hey, if that's how you let your guns get, fine, have at it. But for most of us who stop when we see light leading, 4/0 is lots easier to find and works great.

Well I know I almost never get the perfect combo of lube, lead hardness, size, and powder charge on the first go round. Some times there's a big mess very quickly. It's nice to have an option for a quick clean up and not have to be at it for hours. Makes the next attempt at the perfect load easier to get started on.
    Is this a......what day is this??

Boolit Master

I believe in the STICKY on From Ingot To Target, the EXPERT AUTHORS say DO NOT USE 0000 STEEL WOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    I believe in the STICKY on From Ingot To Target, the EXPERT AUTHORS say DO NOT USE 0000 STEEL WOOL.
    I also support this position. I have found if cutting the chore boy pad, they tend to sprout a bunch of little sharp "shrapnel" pieces that inevitably get stuck to your socks, so I have gone with bronze wool. Makes life easier. If the chore boy meets your needs, go with it.

The copper chore boy pads seem pretty easy to use to me. I don't get the drama.

I also don't worry about the stainless steel version anymore either, after finding out that I've been using it for a couple years. Anybody tried that Big 45 bore cleaner? It was marketed (when I bought it) as a nickel version of the chore boy pads, specially made for cleaning bores. Nope, turns out it's partly stainless steel; it sticks to a magnet. It hasn't damaged any of my barrels yet though, and that's all I've used for bore cleaning in my handguns for a couple years. It seems to remove lead faster than the copper version.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used that "Big 45" chore boy type stuff. No complaints here. Well, my only complaint is that I have to mail away for it and send money. Just finished a project where I had to turn down some brass rod. Ended up with a pile of brass "chore boy". I plan on seeing if that works as well. Seems like it will. Price is right, too.

Boolit Master

+1 on the bronze wool. Ordered it from Home Depot. I have Chore Boy as well but prefer the bronze wool. For me it is easier to use.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Master
    Put a magnet on the Chore boy. It might just be copper washed steel. I found some like that at a dollar store. Better to get some bronze wool at a good hardware store.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.