Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Halibut fishing

Boolit Master
    One of the guys I work with brought back halibut from Alaska (dry ice). We had several days of walking through the shop munching on 1" cubes of halibut from the fish fryer. That's great stuff. Being landlocked all my life, I can make myself almost sick from it and have NO guilt at all!

Good, good, good!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master
    We don't have the option of dragging the halibut (or any other fish) alongside the boat for any length of time for any purpose--sea lions, seals, and/or sharks will be very happy to rip off your catch--sometimes before you get to deep color. %^$# humaniacs think of the thieving pinnipeds as "sea kittens", and all we can do is whack them with paintball guns.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

halibut

We used to get our years worth via personal use skates(longlines) out of Homer in the early 70's.
    Of course it isn't allowed now except commercially.

Bob

Boolit Master

Sounds kinda fishy to me

Well done! Well done

Why did you shoot it?? Just for the halibut!!!!!
    Second time around is STILL funny

Mike

Boolit Master
    Ok, if no one else has the guts to do it, I'll ask.

So Lead Chucker, ----------- Do you aim for the shoulders or behind the shoulders on those things?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Ok, if no one else has the guts to do it, I'll ask.

So Lead Chucker, ----------- Do you aim for the shoulders or behind the shoulders on those things?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Naw, ya just drag them into the boat, and then shoot 'em full of holes!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Now that's funny. I forgot to say it was a threw and threw I wasn't able to recover the bullet for examination.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Nice fish!

A couple years back I was fishing out of Seward with my buddy. I kept catching really nice ling cod, but as it was May, I had to keep throwing them back. He finally caught the one halibut of the day, a nice 40 pounder. We figured it was a little one so didn't dispatch it before bringing it on board. He made the mistake of straddling the fish, and before he could hit it with the bat, the tail came up and wacked him right between the legs

Note to self, the only halibut to bring on board are dead halibut.

Boolit Mold

Smile

That fish was a slammer. Congratulations and if it needed shooting good shot. Do not drop that little derringer in the drink though.

Boolit Bub
    nice soaker
    Congrats
    Jody

I love halibut but would walk right over one to get to a Ling cod I really like those. They are a bit more forgiving if you over cook them. I think they have a little more oil content than halibut. I just scored a 28 pound case of sockeye salmon from a friend all filleted and vacuum packed that's a big score. I'm pretty set for fish this year. I now have to get some halibut for him. Now all I need to do is introduce a 311299 hp to a black bear.

Boolit Master
    Lings are definately more fun to catch, and better table fare. The only downside is they don't hold up as well in the freezer.

Only 1 more month til ling season!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got one of those Ducktown derringers. I'd NEED a 142 pound halibut in order to hit it with a 45 in it, if it was anything over arm's length away. Well done!
    "Yes, I handload almost exclusively. No, it isn't really cheaper, but I shoot a lot more...."

You have to remember that you are dealing with clueless idiots.
    They couldn't get a clue even if they rubbed clue musk all over themselves, and did the clue mating dance, in a room full of horny clues. -Matt G.

Boolit Master
    You think a halibut in the boat is a problem....

I used to scuba dive off California a lot and spent a lot of time spear fishing for them, usually in Monterey Bay or close to it. You learn real quick that you don't want a big one when it's tethered to your wrist. On top of the halibut dragging your butt all over after you spear it, the harbor seals know what sound a spear gun makes and they come beat you up to take the fish. Combat fishing at it's best......
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Boolit Master
    Uncle Jack always said the only halibut in his boat would be a dead one, used to shoot them with a .410 slug until slugs got too expensive so he just harpooned em and bonked em with the "priest", i always wondered why he didn't just switch to a .45 ACP or Colt loaded light, now i can tell him i was right!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Paul H
    Them lingcod you got there are making me hungry. Get you some panco breading and a deep frier and your in business, I'm jelous

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately that was a few years back. Last year drifting over my ling spots I just couldn't manage to hook them.

My best day of ling catching was an early season halibut trip out of Seward. I tried lots of friends "hot spots" and all I managed to catch were lingcod, probably 1/2 dozen and some real nice ones. I did have one nice yellow eye to keep for the day, but could not find a halibut, nor keep the lings off my hook.

Hopefully I land a few ling this year.

If you were getting lings the bottom was probably rocky. Halibut prefer soft bottom.

Boolit Master
    I've always been a soft bottom man myself!

Dick

Most places we fish here are sandy bottoms. I fish the rock piles when I'm looking for black bass and quill back rock fish. Them are good eating too.