Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Lead wire need

Boolit Man

Lead wire need

Some while back I mentioned a friend of mine was able to provide lead wire for purchase. He has been testing and running extrusion wire to see if it is viable to offer for sale. We are able to make it and offer it in a variety of sizes and I want to find out if there is a real need for it.
    We can produce wire in a huge variety of sizes but would like to test the market with the following first.
    We can supply .210, .283, and .375 and .504 now
    We have an additional 10 extrusion dies but would like to test the first 4 sizes first.
    If demand is high for the others we will switch.
    The wire will all be soft lead only. No WW or Alloy for now.

The wire will be offered in 12inch sticks mailed 50 pounds at a time in flat rate boxes. We will mix sizes per box of 50 lbs. We tried spooling but it is not really feasible with the setup.
    We are looking for a market that is real so we are going to search for a fair market price. We are both retired and are not trying to keep too busy.

We are hoping to sell this at $4 per pound. Add $15 flat rate shipping and hopefully we can fill a little void.

I am not adverse to selling smaller quantity for the person wanting to test the product but the 12 inch length dictates a flat rate box so the shipping is the same.

Let me know,
    Frank

Vendor Sponsor

Allways nice to see additional members with things to offer.

The people I see at the moment that has a need might be the 22 cal shooters with .185 wire.

Another vendor here offers the .185 wire for a little less then what your shooting for. Not sure of his current price though.

What kind of cutter would it take to slice threw .504 wire? and how many need that size cores? that would be atleast a .700 bullet. Only one guy I know at the moment shooting a canon that big

Good luck with your venture.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    Seems like 4 dollars per pound may be a bit on the high end.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Man
    Good, and thanks for the input. I can adjust the wire size to test out down to the .185 size easily enough. It is a little more work to get enough extruded to make up the 50 lb.
    Perhaps I should also ask What dollar amount would solidify committed purchases.
    If we can't make it at that price we just won't get into it.
    I will also ask that you tell me what wire size is best for you and then see if it will warrant.
    Frank

Boolit Master

Well Frank not to bust your bubble but Lafaun offers it under 3 and RCE offers it at 3. No way on earth Im going to pay 4 a pound. But good luck to you there is a sucker born every minuet. I just dont happen to be one of them.

Boolit Master

Sir, if you bend the wire in a "U" shape it will fit in a small flat rate box.

Boolit Man
    3006- Your implication is that I am trying to fool or trick someone. Not the case at all.
    Deltaenterprizes- Thank you, I did look into that and even bent some wire to see how well it would work. When straightened the edges of the wire having been stretched on one side and compressed on the other weighed out differently. My thinking was that the straight sticks would cut more easily and be more convenient for users.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Yep, looks like simple market research to me.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by frank martinez View Post
    When straightened the edges of the wire having been stretched on one side and compressed on the other weighed out differently. My thinking was that the straight sticks would cut more easily and be more convenient for users.
    What difference would it make..............your swaging the core aren't you?

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

It would make a difference in how long you cut for a certain weight. Not all swage dies bleed off excess.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    Well Frank not to bust your bubble but Lafaun offers it under 3 and RCE offers it at 3. No way on earth Im going to pay 4 a pound. But good luck to you there is a sucker born every minuet. I just dont happen to be one of them.
    So a sucker is born every minuet? Are we talking ballroom dancing on the site? I have seen things go astray before but not that far off.

I think that he is just trying to find what a good price is. Always better to put it too high then put it too low. Obviously a price that is good for both parties is what one would like to have.

I would go with straight sticks as well. You will be able to get more into a box rather than bending it. Maybe not a whole lot more but enough.

Keep up the good work Frank.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the reassurance. I am indeed simply looking for a number of opinions to help me decide whether to pursue the effort.
    I did try several different cores from the straight sticks and the bent and rolled portions to see if there is a difference. The dies I am using do not bleed off as suggested by mold maker so do rely upon the length of the core being cut correctly or uniformly.
    I have checked with RCE site but cannot find Lafaun to confirm their prices.
    Perhaps we would be more effective in offering mixed sizes per 50 lb box. I do not think the others are able to do so to accommodate those not necessarily needing 25 lbs at a time of the same size wire. We are also able to offer the additional sizes if it helps others to decide.

Thanks for imput
    Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frank martinez View Post
    The dies I am using do not bleed off as suggested by mold maker so do rely upon the length of the core being cut correctly or uniformly.

Cannot find Lafaun to confirm their prices.
    I think that he was talking about the squirt die that is used in getting a cores weight down correctly. The die that bleeds off the excess lead since the raw core is cut at a higher weight. Then bled (squirted) off to get the correct weight.

Lafaun's direct link for his costs are in my signature line. He is actually the gent that made the seat die die that I threw in with the de rim die you bought from me a while back.

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    As far as price goes, you have to take the price the lead costs you plus what you need for your labor, cost and whatever. The place I get mine from is currently around $1.80 / lb plus shipping if you buy a 50 lb spool. The price of lead varies just like any other metal.

The sizes you have listed should just about take care of almost anyone's needs.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the added information. I have communicated directly with Alfloyd as well. He was kind enough to contact me.
    I guess I just need to decide if the effort is worthwhile.
    We are thinking maybe we will make a few boxes up and offer them at our price to see if there is enough interest. I will find out tomorrow what that price will be and then make a final decision if we sell it or keep it to use ourselves.
    Frank

Boolit Man
    What kind of cutter would it take to slice threw .504 wire? and how many need that size cores? that would be atleast a .700 bullet. Only one guy I know at the moment shooting a canon that big
    I thought this might draw a few more comments. Bill has made a few bullets for some select clients in Africa. Currently I am the only one ordering .620 bullets in preparation of shooting my 600 Overkill for fun.
    Frank

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Keep in mind if it isn't cost effective here, Ebay may be a great market.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Keep in mind if it isn't cost effective here, Ebay may be a great market.

Thanks for that bit of advice. Although I do not normally buy or sell on E-bay I do know the larger audience may be what we need to do this properly.
    Frank

Boolit Man

RCE lead and Jackets

Just an FYI to Richard's lead .. http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&grp=42

He also has more Jackets now at a very nice price. http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&grp=71