RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MCD ProductsTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything

Thread: Brag!

Boolit Buddy

Brag!

Sunday my grandson and I went to the range just to practice and play. I had an XDM.45 4.5" He had a Henry Lever .357, and a scoped .22 bolt action, don't recall the make.
    We were shooting at a golf ball, It disappered on the first hit. No idea where it went, a soft-ball, cartridge cases, etc. I had hung a gallon milk jug from a target frame by a string. We hit the milk-jug with ease most of the time,
    shooting from a shade with a bench at 37 yards. He was shooting from the bench and I was shooting standing with the XDM. My load was Lyman 200 SWC and 5.9gr. 231.
    He said "I''ll show you how to hit the string!" He shot about 5 times with the .357 Henry (Iron sights), no luck, then started shooting with the scoped .22. He shot about 10 times without hitting the string. I stood up and said, "I'll show you how it's done". I shot about four times, then hit the string. I just sat down and didn't say a word.
    I'm 80 years old, so I feel like I can brag a little, even if it may have been just luck!
    Clyde

Boolit Master

I did something similar last thanksgiving. We had a family outing and we had a steel plate hanging from a mesquite branch at 80 yards. We had been shooting at it with rifles, having a great time. I got my 1911, with my own cast boolits, and shot it three times in a row. Sat back down and watched everyone else try to duplicate it. Not that day!!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    By this weekend you should say you missed three times on purpose to not hurt his feelings! Gtek

Boolit Buddy
    not luck 70 years of working on that shot

Rick

Banned

HEE, HEE, made me laugh with the fun you were having!
    Show the young wipersnappers how it is done!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The best part, was you had a witness!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

----- Yogi Berra
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I am Impressed. Your modesty is overwelming. You even showed great consideration by intentionaly missing the first three shots.
    I bet your grandson will be telling that one to there grandsons. My dad always pretends to let me outshoot him. then just before we rap it up for the day. He always makes these crazy shots that would take me all day to do. then he looks at me with the same grin .As we are heading home.

Boolit Master
    Back when I was shooting sillywets I was playing with a .357 Dan Wesson belonging to a friend. We were on the 150 yd line, those deceptive **** turkeys. I was shooting prone, my buddy was spotting, took me a couple rounds to figure out where the DW was shooting for me. The owner was real proud of the DA pull on that gun, so once I was hitting he told me to try it DA. I did,,, BANG,,,,,,,,,,,,,, CLANG! At that point I had three rounds left in the gun and three birds standing. I stood up, said something to the effect of "Watch this!" and rolled the last three rounds out DA. BANG,, CLANG BANG,,,,,CLANG BANG,,,CLANG!

I handed him back the gun and declined to try again.

With age and wisdom one can keep an "I do that all the time" expression in those situations. Your load is .1 grain below my favorite .45acp load for Ruger convertibles with that boolit.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

My son, US Army Infantry fire team leader and squad designated marksman is one whole heck of a lot better shot with a rifle than I am. With a pistol though it's exactly the opposite. As a result, it's been an enjoyable experience for both of us teaching each other.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gasboffer View Post
    Sunday my grandson and I went to the range just to practice and play. I had an XDM.45 4.5" He had a Henry Lever .357, and a scoped .22 bolt action, don't recall the make.
    We were shooting at a golf ball, It disappered on the first hit. No idea where it went, a soft-ball, cartridge cases, etc. I had hung a gallon milk jug from a target frame by a string. We hit the milk-jug with ease most of the time,
    shooting from a shade with a bench at 37 yards. He was shooting from the bench and I was shooting standing with the XDM. My load was Lyman 200 SWC and 5.9gr. 231.
    He said "I''ll show you how to hit the string!" He shot about 5 times with the .357 Henry (Iron sights), no luck, then started shooting with the scoped .22. He shot about 10 times without hitting the string. I stood up and said, "I'll show you how it's done". I shot about four times, then hit the string. I just sat down and didn't say a word.
    I'm 80 years old, so I feel like I can brag a little, even if it may have been just luck!
    Clyde
    I did almost the same thing over 50 years ago when I was an electronics instructor @ Bitburg AB, Germany. Well, almost the same - I was teaching a class,and had a fat-cat pointer in my hand , pointing to the greenboard, and this fat German housefly (about the size of the first joint of my thumb!) kept buzzing around me. I finally took a swipe at him as he went past, and knocked him for a loop. I then turned back to the board, and listened to the 'Gahhhs...' from the students. Never tried it again...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gasboffer View Post
    Clyde
    Sounds like a good time was had by all.

I am 73 and not so good a shot as once thought I was. but seems every time out with kids and grandkids, I manage to impress them. They still cannot get over how good I am at just point and shoot with handguns. I have never told them how many boolits I go through practicing when they are not around.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Not quite the same as shooting, but many years ago, I took a semi-auto .22 pistol in to a gun shop to be D&Ted for a scope mount. When the counter guy racked it to make sure it was empty, the little red plastic snapcap type thing I had in there (to relieve spring pressure during storage) came flying out. My hands were flat on the countertop. Somehow I quickly flicked my right hand up like getting sworn in and caught it behind my right ear. I never moved my head and then acted like it was nothing as I put it on the counter, (It was lucky as heck)The look on his face was priceless.
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Banned

Years ago we were shooting a blowgun across the yard at the old garage. Went to pull the darts and I had one stuck through the center of a fly, told everyone I seen it and hit it!