RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reduced Unique loads out of 1895 Marlin

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, IMO, there ->is a potential pitfall with these loads, that is the danger of double charging because you can't easily detect a double charge visually. I recommend developing some foolproof method of charging the cases. What I do is;

Take each primed case separately and while it's in hand, first turn it upside-down to insure it's empty, then drop in the powder charge put it in the press and seat the bullet. That way each one in turn never leaves my hand or attention between the time I KNOW it's empty and the time the bullet's seated. Another method might be just as good or better but just keep in mind that that tiny 10 grain powder charge could be hard to tell from 20 grains way down in the bottem of that cavernous ol' .45-70 case.

John C. Saubak

Banned

You can also triple check by weighing your cartridges when you're done, once you know the correct average weight. 10-13 grns over and there's a problem in paradise.

Boolit Bub
    John & Pat,

Yes, those are two good ways to avoid a double or triple charge.

John, My thoughts are along with yours dump the charge, seat the bullet, and never let it out of your hand until the case is sealed.

Pat, Your idea is great also. I plan to make a round complete except for the powder. Then scale and tare it. Next scale the fully loaded round and say you want 14.0 and it reads 13.9 or 14.1 you are alright but if it reads around 28 or higher one better look for their bullet puller.

Just my ideas,

Mike

Boolit Master

I load one at a time and as was said, charge powder and seat a boolit immediately to avoid problems. I'm going to get a conversion setup for my Dillon 550B and start using it for 45/70 also.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Bub
    Marty,

We all seem to feel that one at a time is the safest way to with these reduced loads.

Mike

i shoot a lot of bullseye powder loads. the scary thing about using pistol powder is an accidental double charge. that would certainly ruin your day, and probably the gun.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by peerlesscowboy View Post
    FWIW, IMO, there ->is a potential pitfall with these loads, that is the danger of double charging because you can't easily detect a double charge visually.
    Left is 30 gr unique, right is 15 gr unique.

If you actually LOOK inside the case, it's rather obvious.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Banned
    Enjoyed reading about everyones use of Unique. I use 5.2 grains Unique behind my own cast 120 grain w/ GC from an Old Lyman Ideal Mold. My 7 MM TCU 10 inch T/C Barrel is accurate, fun and inexpensive to shoot. I am having a new Savage Axis (Edge) in .223 re barreled to 7 MM TCU. I will increase the powder a few grains as the new rifle will have 22 inch barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I followed the advice from the experienced 45-70 shooters here, and loaded up some of my Lee HB boolits with 15gr of Unique. No filler. This target is the first 5 shots at 50 yds from my 1895SS with scope.
    Primers didn't show any flattening, recoil was moderate, perfectly comfortable. This one might well become the standard for me and this boolit. I am also going to try it with my 350 RD, as soon as I get some cast up.

Banned

Thar's a beauty.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    Left is 30 gr unique, right is 15 gr unique.

If you actually LOOK inside the case, it's rather obvious.
    I was thinking more of 10gr vs 20gr. -------FWIW

Boolit Master
    From lyman 45th edition (1970)

45/70 Gov, trap door springfield models

405 gr jacketed Remington

unique 11.0 gr 890 fps to 15.0 gr 1223 fps

385 gr cast #457124

unique 10.0 gr 1048 fps to 15.0 gr 1335 fps

482gr cast # 457406 with GC
    unique 9.0gr 892 fps to 13.0 gr 1114 fps

from the 1886 Winchester section:

292 gr cast #457191

unique 18.0 1497fps to 20.0gr 1689 fps

385 gr cast #457124

unique 14.0gr 1244 fps to 17.0 gr 1408 fps

482gr cast # 457406 with GC

unique 13.0gr 1112 fps to 16.0gr 1242 fps

AS always, It's your responsability to work up loads safely. use at your own risk. This is the data published by Lyman in the 45th edition reloading handbook, 1970.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Bub
    What do y'all think of "The Load" in regards to the 45-70 in 405 cast?

Good shooting,

Beer Baron

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Check this site out for put-put load information
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    "If in doubt use UNIQUE" and DO check this web site out that was noted earlier. I had lost this site a while ago, glad to see it again. I can see why your asking about loads using Unique., you can't beat the stuff.

Boolit Mold
    I use a lot of unique in 45/70.... here's one thing I always do.... I measure a specific charge that I want and then put it in the primed case. Next, I place a 3" "square cut" dowel (3/8 or 7/16") in the case on top of the powder and scribe a line at the case mouth. After writing the charge above the line, I check every case that I load before placing and seating the bullet. Significantly light or heavy charges are easy to see and go back into the hopper. Keep in mind, WW cases have different internal volume than Star line or others.... there will be small, but predictable differences in powder levels between brands trimmed to the same lengths. Shoot safe.
    Captain R.

Super Moderator

Would Trail Boss be worth looking at in the 45-70? I have used it in several rifle calibers including 30-06 and 7.62x54R with good results. Not possible for a double charge in this one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by peerlesscowboy View Post
    I was thinking more of 10gr vs 20gr. -------FWIW
    Same idea.

15 gr x 2 = 30 gr.

10 gr x 2 = 20 gr.

Similar ratio, similar visual.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

After a long hiatus from cat-sneeze loads in the 45-70, I recently loaded some with 12 grains of Unique behind an oversized pistol boolit (260 gr.) for my 1895SS and they were tons of fun, shooting to the sights out to 85 yards and a touch beyond. I've used this same load up to 330 gr. cast in the past with satisfactory results. I used a small tuft of Dacron just because that was how I was instructed years ago... now I'll have to try it without the filler. Wouldn't mind eliminating an extra step if it's not necessary.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Master
    When I first loaded for the 45-70 I used an old 456192 Ideal I picked up long before to cast the bullets. I went to my old Lyman manual and picked out a load of 13 grns of Unique. It did so well for me that I have never changed or tried anything else. Lyman never mentioned filler in their old manuals.