RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lead bullets should be banned at the range?

Yet they are practicing to be able to put large holes in people?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS1 View Post
    Just your admission that lead is dangerous is an indication that the other side has already won...
    IF WE DON'T GO ABOUT OUR LIVES, THE TERRORIST HAVE ALREADY WON!

I remember that nonsense.

Here's the rub: advances really are made. More knowledge really is gained, on a daily, weekly and annual basis.

What if they're right?

I remember this same type of reaction in construction to asbestos. "I've handled asbestos for thirty years, and I'm fine!"

But they were right about asbestos, it kills. And they were right about lead in paint.

We don't know if they're right now. So we can't be certain that they're wrong.

When lead is outlaws, Only outlaws will have lead

Yippy Ki Yi Yay
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    And they were right about lead in paint.

Yeah, no doubt it is bad to eat lead. Lead would still be in paint causing no harm if some kids hadn't eaten paint chips like they were Doritos. The anti-lead propaganda continues. With all the brainwashing going on, a lot of people think lead is right there with plutonium in toxicity. The propaganda has one purpose and that is to make ammunition more expensive and less available.

This never fails to make me laugh -

Boolit Master

Thanks for the humor with that last post.

We all know that lead is bad. In fact, as a service to all those that feel lead is so bad, can send me all they have and will be happy to dispose of it for you, at a thousand FPS down the barrel of my favorite Redhawk, 255 grains at a time!!
    Besides lead is deadly. Especially the acute lead poisoning received from the end of a barrel.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub

Lead boolits

So you are endangering everybody's health by shooting a non-jacketed lead bullet I would have do remind this individual the amount lay used in plumbing fixtures during the 30s and 40s along with the amount of lead used in the automotive industry to present day I will absolutely 100% guarantee that those two industries have done more damage and to the health of the people of the world in the number of people killed by a lead bullet never mind the vapors pour effects to the environment it is caused in total technology changes I will absolutely guarantee you have no clear for leg being outlawed for manufacturing not going to happen unless you're ready to go back to horse and buggy and walking

I also might suggest to the individual who is blowing your rash he only lead poisoning he should be concerned about is what comes from the end of a barrel

Boolit Master

They took the lead out of paint because all the ghetto babies were teething on the painted surfaces and ingesting lead. Too bad as it would have eliminated some of our current social problems.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Buddy
    If this is a club range...Don't renew their membership. They are troublemakers you don't need them around. There's nothing more dangerous to a club than this kind of stupidity coming from a club member. Death from within.....................They get a voice and start with this **** at meetings and such and actually find support....pass stupid rules and regulations etc. You lose good members out of frustration and these folks take over. I've seen it happen.

Boolit Master
    I believe it was Col Cooper, who said its better to remain silent and thought ignorant, than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Seems he was right.

Boolit Buddy
    IF WE DON'T GO ABOUT OUR LIVES, THE TERRORIST HAVE ALREADY WON!

I remember that nonsense.

Here's the rub: advances really are made. More knowledge really is gained, on a daily, weekly and annual basis.

What if they're right?

I remember this same type of reaction in construction to asbestos. "I've handled asbestos for thirty years, and I'm fine!"

But they were right about asbestos, it kills. And they were right about lead in paint.

i don't eat paint but did abuse asbestos as a kid working in construction. he is still alive and well as am I. do you reaize how many people in world dring water from lead pipes or lead joints?
    I think you've been in seatle to long and you may be catching a case of the libtard.

Boolit Mold
    Some people at borned idiots.

You need to carry and MSDS for lead in your pocket every time you go there. When someone like that comes up give them a copy. They need an education on LEAD.

Some people have the attitude, don't confuse me with facts my mind is made up.

You should have told them you electro plated your lead bullets with depleted uranium. Uranium is harder than lead the coating keeps the lead dust from getting into the air. Then you tell them lead dust is less dangerous durning a full moon because the combined gravitation pull of the 2 plants is less and lead dust falls to the ground before you have time to be exposed to it.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 04-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Banned
    Lead poisoning killed Beethoven. It's been put forward that it had a lot to do with the downfall of Rome. (And they did let their poor drink and eat lead. So much for that charming bit of ignorant fear.)

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data". But it's highly amusing to listen to people who think it is.

Science is science. Fear is fear. I know which one I'll listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Some people at borned idiots.
    I couldn't have put it better myself. Even if I had tried.

Lead poisoning killed Beethoven. It's been put forward that it had a lot to do with the downfall of Rome. (And they did let their poor drink and eat lead. So much for that charming bit of ignorant fear.)
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data". But it's highly amusing to listen to people who think it is.
    I think you may be missing the point. Nobody is refuting that ingesting lead is hazardous. The point is that it is highly unlikely a person will ingest enough pursuing the shooting sports to cause a problem.

I think the jury is still out on what Beethoven died of. Was he a bullet caster?

Boolit Mold
    This whole thing is laughable!!!! To think that you actually wasted your time talking to these morons and then wasted more of your time and ours by writing about it would make me laugh uncontrollably if it wasn't so sad. I handle this kind of punk by simply telling him to get out of my face or I'll peel him out of it, and I mean it. I will not suffer these fools quietly and will kick them in the head till their brains, what little they have are spilling on the ground. Kill them all let God sort them out. FRJ

Boolit Master
    FRJ, tell us how you really feel,don't hold back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
    Nobody is refuting that ingesting lead is hazardous.
    Actually, a number of people here are doing just that. Several of you appear to think that eating it is the only way to ingest it.

Quote Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
    I think the jury is still out on what Beethoven died of.
    They know it was lead poisoning. What they don't know is how he was exposed to it-- they don't know how he ingested it.

The theory on Rome is tied directly to their lead pipes and the lead in their glasses, as well as their open air smelters.

When I was a kid at school it was drummed into us not to be nasty to mentally retarded kids. I think it immoral and wrong to be nasty to these retards now as adults!

What I would have said to them is this - after a sympathetic look; "You flunked chemistry, didn't you? Don't feel bad, I flunked history (or something)". Then I would ask them how long they have been casting and handling lead. I would ask them for their email address, telling them I would do research into it and email them my findings. Alternative I might ask them where in hell they got that information from! (So I could check it out of course, then get back to them). Maybe I'd invite them to a discussion over a cigarette?

I grew up with leaded gasoline and so did my kids. And we're all fine - yeah right! Actually, I really am fine, physically. Not sure what the lead has done to my brain, probably nothing.

Seriously, I would attempt to win them over. They're misinformed and might be good folks once the **** has been cleared. Maybe not.

The decline of Rome used to be blamed on the lead cookware the ruling class used. Has that gone out of fashion? More chance of lead ingestion from cooking in pewter cookware than lead pipes. Actually, I've been given to believe it was STD's that was the problem. Look up Roman morality (or lack thereof).
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-17-2012 at 03:25 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

The reason for the fall of Rome was the multiple invasions of Goths, Visigoths and other ne'er-do-wells who trashed Roman society and agriculture. A lot quicker than lead. The lead argument is ridiculous.

I copied this from Wikipedia:

"There is dispute about the cause of Beethoven's death: alcoholic cirrhosis, syphilis, infectious hepatitis, lead poisoning, sarcoidosis and Whipple's disease have all been proposed.[79] Friends and visitors before and after his death clipped locks of his hair, some of which have been preserved and subjected to additional analysis, as have skull fragments removed during the 1862 exhumation.[80] Some of these analyses have led to controversial assertions that Beethoven was accidentally poisoned to death by excessive doses of lead-based treatments administered under instruction from his doctor."

I know Wiki doesn't get much respect, but my Google-fu leaves a lot to be desired, it's the first reference I found. Could you please cite a more authoritative source for the cause of his death?

If in fact lead poisoning was the cause, it appears the source of the lead wasn't from the environment, but intentionally ingested on the advice of his doctor as treatment for his other ailments.

Concerning your anecdote/data comment, after an hour or so of surfing I have been unable to find any reference to the number of children in the US who suffer from lead poisoning. I have also been unable to find any reference to the rate of lead poisoning in the populations of Galena, OH, Galena, IL, Galena, MO and Galena, KS in relation to the overall population of the US.

Since "Science is science." and "Fear is fear.", it would be nice to see what the research shows. I'm sure the scientific community has something to say about the subject, but the references I've found are all anecdote and no data.

Like I said, my computer skills are sorely lacking so I would greatly appreciate it if you would provide me with a few links to the "science" that justifies the "fear".

TIA........
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Galena, OH is not a mining town. Try Picher, OK instead.