WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 260 Rem XP-100

Boolit Mold

260 Rem XP-100

I have a new (to me) factory original XP in 260 Rem. I'd like to pursue cast bullets in this puppy for some fun plinking and maybe varmits, and at some point in the future deer hunting. It appears to have a 1-9 twist, and of course it's over-bore for this barrel length. Has anyone here had success with this cartridge/handgun combination? Suggestions for moulds and powders? I've been reloading for a long time, and a bullet caster for nearly as long, but this is new territory for me, and any input would be appreciated. I did do a search of the forum but didn't come up with anything useful for this particular application. Thanks in advance! ~Ben~

Boolit Master

What do you mean by "its over-bore for this barrel length", never heard this before.

150gr. Lyman bore rider, gaschecked, over 15-17gr. IMR4227. Nice mild, accurate load in every 260 I have tried. The fast powder works great in a pistol barrel, not so loud as normal rifle loads.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    What do you mean by "its over-bore for this barrel length", never heard this before.
    Well, I don't have a technical quote but essentially it means the cartridge case is capable of holding significantly more powder than can be burned in this barrel length. A 10" .223 is over-bore; a 24" .223 is not. Does that explain? What that means is that some attention might be paid towards burn rates and loading density when selecting bullet weights and attendant powders. Perhaps someone else here can provide a more succinct explaination, but I hope this helps. ~Ben~

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    150gr. Lyman bore rider, gaschecked, over 15-17gr. IMR4227. Nice mild, accurate load in every 260 I have tried. The fast powder works great in a pistol barrel, not so loud as normal rifle loads.
    Nobade, that sounds like just the sort of information I need. Any particular Lyman you're thinking of? What barrel length were you working with? Any idea as to velocity?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_51004 View Post
    Nobade, that sounds like just the sort of information I need. Any particular Lyman you're thinking of? What barrel length were you working with? Any idea as to velocity?
    #266673. 150gr. bore rider. The only other one they have is a Loverin style design, and it won't work in a 260 unless it has a way longer than factory throat.

I was looking at my notes, and I had gone up as far as 20.0gr. of IMR 4227, good for 1500 fps in a 12 inch barrel. Pressure is still pretty low but it didn't shoot too well at higher charges.