Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Marlin 1894 357 Microgroove

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 1894 357 Microgroove

Folks - I am looking at a Marlin 1894 in 357. It's an 80's vintage fitted with a microgroove barrel.

This would be a plinker and would also be used on small game duties, ideally almost exclusively with cast.

l'm looking for feedback on what to expect in a microgroove 357 with respect to flexibility with cast and the sort of accuracy I should expect, particularly at lower velocities. I'd probably look to load it around 1000-1200 fps range so my kids get used to it too.

Appreciate your feedback.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 30/30 with a micro-groove and slow didn't work for me the guys here said to speed it up and I'm still working on it. Good luck

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a 357 Magnum.....but I have a Marlin Model 62 in 30 U.S. Carbine with the Microgroove bore form. Lee Soup Cans sized at .311" shoot better than jacketed bullets, at the same or higher velocity (1900-2000 FPS). The usual answer to questions concerning cast boolits in MG rifling is to go fatter before going faster.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub

Passing info

I have a 357 magnum I was given for Christmas by my boss. I think he gave it to me to purposely drive me nuts finding a load that worked. I gentleman here passed me some info on the progress he made to accuracy with cast bullets. My rifle doesn't have the microgroove, it has ballard rifiling. PM me and I will send you the info.

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas

Get it, you'll like it.

JFE

I've got a newer one. It is a lot of fun to shoot and is cheep. I load the Lee 357-158 RF in it (measures 0.360 dia.) behind 6.0 gr. of HS-6 at about a 1000 f/s.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Buddy

John Taffin recently did an article on 357 leverguns in GUNS magazine. According to JT you'll need gas checked bullets to get best results in a levergun with cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin in 357 mag with a micro-groove barrel. The Lee 158 RF and 8 gr. Blue Dot works very well. I think the velocity is 1175-1200. It is fun to shoot with 38 spcl with light loads. You have to make sure the bullets fit right.
    I have shot 2 1/2 groups at 100 but I can,t do it all the time. If it does 3 1/2 I am happy. Most of that was done with a scope. I installed a Williams 5D peep, it gives you a better sight radius and just looks better.
    beemer

Boolit Mold Bear Claw Chris Lappe's Avatar
    I'm new here, so I hope it's OK for me to jump in.

I had an early 1894 Marlin .357 with MG rifling, was a favorite gun, but I had a rough time loading non-jacketed loads for it. Just seem to hate any plain cast bullets.

Boolit Master

Welcome, BCCL. Try the forum search function and input micro groove to see how much success members have had using PB boolits in modern Marlins. Sufficient slug diameter appears to be secret #1. Some of us are rather smug about it.

Mark
    Last edited by Nueces; 03-22-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spellin errer

Boolit Master
    I have a micro groove 357 mag carbine and spent years cursing it that it would not shoot lead bullets accurately. I then slugged the bore and found that a 357 or 358 bullet was too small in diameter. I bought a .360 sizing die and size my Lee 158 RNFP bullets to that diameter. Actally it just puts lube on as the bullets come from the mold at .360. This improved my groups substantially. I use 7 gr of Unique and my lee bullet in my rifle. I also have a newer one that has ballard rifling. I never slugged that bore but the same bullets shoot good in it as well. Groups run 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards with iron sights.

One of the fellows we shoot with uses a regular .357 model 1894 to very good effect in our cowboy silhouette matches. He loads it with the RCBS 200gr. flatnose rifle bullets in 38 spl. cases over 2400 powder. I was quite suprised at how accurate it is, and it has plenty of punch to take the 200M rams. He let my daughter shoot it in the last match, and she's hooked. I guess I'd better find one for her in a hurry!

Boolit Mold Bear Claw Chris Lappe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Sufficient slug diameter appears to be secret #1. Some of us are rather smug about it.

Mark
    I can see how it might, I was shooting 158b gr. LSWC's, but never checked the diameter, once I loaded some 125 gr. and 110 gr. JHP's and had great accruacy with them, I kinda stuck with them in that gun.

This is making me regret selling that gun!

My experience is all with a .35 Remington with Microgroove barrel. My first cast Pb experience, and I relished every minute of it. Still do.

There's nothing wrong with Microgroove for cast boolits, no matter what legends you may have heard.

Hard cast 158 grain pistol boolits such as are sold at gun shows need pressures equating to about 1750fps or higher to obturate well enough for accuracy. Much below that and you're shooting 3 and 4 inch groups at 50 yards.

Softer boolits will work much better for the 1000fps range. Cast no harder than 1-20 metal.

Use XMP5744 to start for the supersonic loads. It was very consistent in my .35 Rem. case.

For the subsonic loads, you will want to go to a faster powder, maybe even as fast as Unique. You MUST get the obturation before the boolit gets past the throat, or accuracy goes to pot. Slower powders won't do it at low speeds.

I've used all kinds of lubes, and nothing seems to make much difference wiith these loads.

Assuming your groove diameter is normal, .358" is the absolute minimum boolit diameter. If your mold drops .359, don't size at all. General rule of thumb is indeed about .001" over groove diameter.

BTW you can even shoot 000 buckshot for a plinker load. I didn't do too well with my bigger case, but your smaller .357 case and 1 grain of Unique might work better. Do not let the ball sink below the case mouth. Also try hollowbase wadcutters for short-range plinking.

For heavier boolits, remember that Microgroove REQUIRES that the boolit be full groove diameter for at least 65% of it's length. More is even better. Traditional heavy rifle boolits with a long bore-diameter nose will find no support, and they'll exit the bore crabwise and head for Milwaukee.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-28-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I must be lazy, but I try them all unsized first wit Lee T'L and if it works I generally leave it at that. Saves a lot of work sometimes.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Veral Smith made one of his flat point bullet molds that I intended to use in a "N" frame Smith and Wesson . I tried it sized to .359" and found it worked real well in both the revolver and the carbine . If I remember right it seemed to like using Accurate Arms number nine powder instead of Olin 296 .
    Very accurate in the handgun and the carbine will tear out great groups . No leading and feeds real well too .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up a 1981 vintage 1894C yesterday afternoon. so far I've only shot a couple of different cast loads through it that I had on hand that I shoot in my Ruger Vaquero with good results. o far what I've found is my Lee 158 Gr lrnfp sized to .359 and lubed with Lyman super moly does great over 7 gr of Unique. Same pullet over 17.5 grs of H110 leads up badly. I have to spend some more time at the relaoding bench and see what I can come up with but worst case I may have to go with a GC bullet to get full house loads with cast.

My Marlin 357 seems to shoot very well with one of the 180 bullets from a mould I got off here in a group buy some time back. It really likes to be run pretty fast with a nice charge of Lil'Gun. I size them to .359.

Steve E..........

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Marlin 1894 .357 Mag purchased in the ‘80’s. I get the same accuracy with lead (sized .359) or jacketed bullets. It is a good gun on deer, but it is awesome on coyote’s at close range (50-75 yards). It’s a great gun for the river bottoms.