MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger No.1 Ben's and waksupi's Fault lol.

Boolit Bub
    JG

What is the color on the Savage? I like it.

Thanks

Dave

Duracoat Titanium. The Stock by Boyd's is called I think Fall Harvest. But it was a special run.

Here is the Thread on the build. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=Savage
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Jester, I have a question: Why the .358? I must presume this is for hunting and not paper punching. Seems like an awful lot of cartridge for anything in Texas.

Yep just a Wabbit Rifle lol. But no really it will be for Deer of which I know is a bit large but a Big Hog might come into view lol. So I like to carry something so that I know my bases are covered.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Jester, I have a question: Why the .358? I must presume this is for hunting and not paper punching. Seems like an awful lot of cartridge for anything in Texas.

Surely you jest.....this is Texas, afterall.

Boolit Buddy
    "Don't be shocked if you find the length of pull too long on the factory stock, and/or need extension rings and/or longer eye relief scope."

I thought I just needed arm extensions. Or to turn on the bandsaw…

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    May I just say, I am proud to be an enabler.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I Really like they way the .35 Whelen handles deer; but for a cast boolit rifle I think the .358 Winchester will do all that needs done.

THe more I hunt with .35 caliber rifles, the more I think it is about the best all around bore size for use in North America.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    May I just say, I am proud to be an enabler.
    lol I knew you would be Proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    Surely you jest.....this is Texas, afterall.
    And to think once I was close to getting a 458 LOTT lol. But they are really not all that conducive to downloading for Cast lol.

The Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 does just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I Really like they way the .35 Whelen handles deer; but for a cast boolit rifle I think the .358 Winchester will do all that needs done.

THe more I hunt with .35 caliber rifles, the more I think it is about the best all around bore size for use in North America.

Robert
    From posts from Ben and Waksupi I caught the same Drift about the 358 Winchester. .

Quote Originally Posted by Typecaster View Post
    "Don't be shocked if you find the length of pull too long on the factory stock, and/or need extension rings and/or longer eye relief scope."

I thought I just needed arm extensions. Or to turn on the bandsaw…

Richard
    The Length of pull is Great. I feel it is a tad short in just a Shirt but when a Jacket is added in our Winter months I think it will be just about the right length.

Boolit Grand Master

.358 winchester is perfect. I settled on 35cal as being the best all around cast boolit a long time ago. I had a 35remington and it always seemed to be short on power. I made my own wildcat that ended up being slightly less than 35 whelen and it was to much. You always have to be under loading it with cast lead. The doggon thing will shoot 2800 FPS but it's a real trick to get a boolit to go that fast without paper patching or getting realy tricky with the lube etc. I built another rifle, and settled on 358winchester as being the perfect cast boolit cartridge. Given our modern ways of doing things, 2600fps as a max is very attainable.
    Heres a picture of mine, its still a work in progress:

If you're wondering how it does on deer, look at this one:

That was shot with a 250gr lyman 358318 RN. That was not a hollow point, and it was not soft lead. 358 just does what you want it to do and keeps its chin up and its shoulders square while doing it. That deer was shot at fifty yards, it buckled up and ran strait to me when I shot it. I ended up walking forward 15 yards to collect it. Next year I'm going to shoot one with hollow points, so maybe it will jump into the truck for me also.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

I like that idea....Blame Ben and Waksupi for buying the Ruger #1.
    I like it so much, I'm going to a gun show this morning....if I buy a gun, sorry but it's got to be someones fault on here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, looks like " I'm darned if I do, and darned if I don't ".

Nope you are more Darned if you Don't lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    I like that idea....Blame Ben and Waksupi for buying the Ruger #1.
    I like it so much, I'm going to a gun show this morning....if I buy a gun, sorry but it's got to be someones fault on here.
    Actually Ben and Waksupi helped a great deal. But in all honesty I have learned allot on this forum about many different calibers that are out there.

And with the help of them and many others that have posted some great information on the .358 Caliber and its large variety of capabilities greatly helped me decide to give them a try.

With the build of my 35 Whelen it impressed me so much I feel that I have found out just how great they are along with a select few others.

Of which I feel strongly that the Hunting public at large was dealt a bad hand by the so called gun writers that have dismissed the .358 Winchester as a Brush cartridge or at best a Mid Range round. Thus have kept the Hunting public in the dark as to how Great the cartridge really is.

It is too bad really that the .358 Winchester has become pretty much a Re-Loaders cartridge due to the fact of the lack of factory ammo and there very high prices.

The same with the .35 Whelen which is a great hunting round. But Remington may have helped to kill the cartridge with there 1-16 twist instead of at least a 1-14 twist.

But it seems that the .35 Whelen is becoming stronger with the new single shot rifles made for the cartridge for certain hunting requirements.

Ok my Soap Box Broke lol.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, guys, for the fine rifle pictures on this thread. For as much as I hunt these days I don't need another rifle now, but I sure like looking at em!
    Paul