Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: second reloading set up?

Boolit Buddy

second reloading set up?

I load 45ACP everyday 100-200 rds, i shoot about 100 at least once a week, twice when i can. I store the rest. All off my Hornady LNL. I also have a RCBS turret for revolver and lever action rounds that do require that many rounds. I recently bought an AR-15 and trying to layout my plan to reload I need some advise.

Should i convert the LNL to .223 and back and forth when needed to produce .223? I ran most of the numbers and its $120 once you get the dies, shell plate, case feed plate, and extra bushings. Plus anything else i might need (new to neck rifle reloading).

I could get a Lee progresive, load master or Pro1000 and just use it for .223. $153 ready to go for .223

get a Pro1000 basic model ($84 + dies) and just use it to run the brass through (deprime, resize, prime, expand) then finish each round at the turret?

What makes the most sense? looks like its around the same $, or am i missing something completely?

Boolit Master

It depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you have to convert from one cartridge to another.

My suggestion is to get a Dillon 550B or 650 for the .223, which will allow you to reload other calibers in the future. Keep your options open.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 01-30-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

May I ask why you are loading and storing 7-14 times the ammo you are shooting? How long do you plan on doing this?

Boolit Buddy
    i didn't think about it that way. I was loading and shooting that day, but was able to get ahead of it and all of a sudden i had a lot. Are you suggesting that i switch over to .223 and stay with the LNL?

Boolit Master
    I have a loadmaster and would not buy one, I think they STINK! I think the pro 1000 are only for hangun ammo and have never used one. The lee classic cast turrent press is a great press and I can load 150 to 180 45 ACP rounds per hour on it.
    Problem to watch on .223 is if you use range pickup brass a lot of them are crimp in primer and some are Berdan primers and they can cause fits on a progressive. Another thing is when I load .223 I only run them thru a press twice with fmjs. Once to size on up stroke and prime on down stroke. I charge off the press with the Lee perfit powder measure, than the second time thru the press seats the bullet. This I use the single stage press. Since I don't know your qty/month its hard to say get a progressive for .223 if you only load a hundred a month.
    For whats it also worth I think a Dillon 550 is a great press. I checked out my brothers and its very solid and the priming system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel185 View Post
    I load 45ACP everyday 100-200 rds, i shoot about 100 at least once a week, twice when i can. I store the rest. All off my Hornady LNL. I also have a RCBS turret for revolver and lever action rounds that do require that many rounds. I recently bought an AR-15 and trying to layout my plan to reload I need some advise.

Should i convert the LNL to .223 and back and forth when needed to produce .223? I ran most of the numbers and its $120 once you get the dies, shell plate, case feed plate, and extra bushings. Plus anything else i might need (new to neck rifle reloading).

I could get a Lee progresive, load master or Pro1000 and just use it for .223. $153 ready to go for .223

get a Pro1000 basic model ($84 + dies) and just use it to run the brass through (deprime, resize, prime, expand) then finish each round at the turret?

What makes the most sense? looks like its around the same $, or am i missing something completely?

Boolit Buddy
    I use my lnl AP for reloading 223 and .40s&w, takes me about 20 minutes to do a changeover. That includes changing the parts for the powder measure. Usually it's best to do full length sizing for rifle brass on a single stage or turret press. But if you're just neck sizing, go progressive all the way through!

Boolit Buddy
    bigJason6 do you have the case feeder? i wondered how long it took to change all that out, but it can't be much longer. I've been told that an AR needs full length sizing. I plan on doing full length on the LNL if i go that route.

Boolit Buddy
    bigJason6 do you have the case feeder? i wondered how long it took to change all that out, but it can't be much longer. I've been told that an AR needs full length sizing. I plan on doing full length on the LNL if i go that route.
    I don't have the case feeder yet. I think all you really have to do is change the sorter plate out and maybe make a couple minor adjustments to the mechanism. You're right on the full length sizing for the ar, just make sure you lube your cases well.

Boolit Master

i didn't think about it that way. I was loading and shooting that day, but was able to get ahead of it and all of a sudden i had a lot. Are you suggesting that i switch over to .223 and stay with the LNL?
    You said that you load 100-200 rounds each day and shoot 100-200 rounds per week. Is this not what you meant?

Personally I'd just get the equipment to swap calibers and schedule my loading so I didn't have to swap all that often. That being said...I use single stage equipment. If I had a progressive I might think differently.

Boolit Master
    pro 1000 in .45 acp . lnl for .223. thats what i would do.....
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Don't go the Lee route for 223.

I have a number of Lee Pro1000's but I no longer use them. The Loadmaster is gathering dust also.

I switched to the LnL AP outfitted with the case and bullet feeder. The part like the most is that I can remove or add the dies as needed. I deprime first without loading. After cleaning and annealing the brass I load.

The case feeder is a good investment, IMHO.

Bliksem

Boolit Buddy
    Switching out the LNL will be pretty involved. You pretty much have to swap out every part of the case feeder system to go from .45 to .223. Along with changing over the rest of the press. I have to do the same thing to switch from 9mm to .45. I did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it took me about an hour. Hopefully, it gets faster.

If it were me, I would strongly consider picking up another turret head for the RCBS. I do a lot of case prep for my rifle loading, so I load mine on a single stage. I size, tumble to remove lube, and then trim/chamfer/debur, uniform the primer pockets, debur the flash holes, and swage out the primer crimp. Next is priming, followed by powder and bullet seating.

If you do stick with the LNL, I would suggest running the cases through and just size them. Do all your other case prep, and then run them back through for priming, powder, etc. If you tumble them to remove the lube, run a universal decapping die in station 1 to guarantee that the flash holes are clear.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

You're shooting about 400 rounds a week or eight 50 round boxes a week. This would easily justify a caliber conversion for the Hornady LnL progressive you have if that's the number you are planning to reload for the .223, but it isn't. A more useful number would be how much do you plan on shooting the AR15, where you'll need longer ranges to shoot at. If it is an equivalent number, it would easily justify a caliber conversion. Also, rather than building a 100 cases, I would build several thousand or more at a time of the .45ACP Why? Convenience and efficiency. By doing large batches, you make your progressive much more efficient (like any other production machine) and make a quantity you can use for a while. While you're using that quantity up, you can use the press to reload other calibers, such as the .223.

Before you get too far into buying case feed plates since you don't own a case feeder, I would figure out how much .223 I'm going to shoot or how much I want to store. If I wanted to shoot a lot or store a lot, I would buy the caliber conversion. Why? Because the LnL is one of the easier presses to convert (excepting the case feeder portion) I would not buy another press. If I wanted to make a lot of .223, I would make it in large quantities (1000 or more at a time) and store it. Even with quantities that large, a case feeder really isn't needed. Remember, with rifle cartridges, you have to

While I really like Lee's Classic Cast single stage and Classic Turret, most folks are ill advised to get the Lee progressives. They take a significant amount of mechanical aptitude (and work) to get and keep running. Why subject yourself to this when you already have a Hornady LnL, a fine progressive, sitting on your bench.

Now this may have some value, but don't forget to figure trimming into the equation at least one time. You can use a X-die after the first trim, but the brass still has to be trimmed and priming is one of the known major problem areas of this press.

Sometimes it isn't just the dollars. It's the associated headaches. Based on quantities, efficiency and etc., you'd be better off just buying a caliber conversion without buying a case feeder. You may want to consider a case feeder and a bullet feeder when the quantities you're shooting exceed a thousand a month for .223. Right now, based on your numbers and extrapolation (sure fire wild reared guessing), I think you'll end up being happier with a caliber conversion.
    Just my .02,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Dave, that helps a lot. I do have the case feeder, but essentially it doesn't make a different in your logic. I think i will go with the conversion for the LNL. I have a little over 1K 45acp stored up so i have time before i'm out. Now i just have to figure out how to work triming the brass into the "system". I don't have a trimmer, I'll start piecing it all together.

thanks everyone

Boolit Master
    When you get to the stage where switching parts of a progressive press to go from one caliber to another becomes work, tedious and irritating, ... you have made the decision to buy another progressive and dedicate such presses to specific calibers.

You face having your bench become a rain forest of presses, need to expand bench space, push out walls, etc.

When speed and convenience take over the bench, the second order effects are endless.

Production: its seductive.. faster and faster and at some point , you put brakes on it and decide to wave off or you become a factory.

Boolit Master
    CO AX, Rock Chucker, Herters Super O, Dillon 450, Dillon 550, Lee turret press... Thundering Coyotes, I can't move and am surrounded by presses dedicated to specific production needs. How in blazes did I end up here !!

Try the LNL and convert. My first press was a Hornady ProJector and I used it for everything. Changeover isn't that bad....but I don't have the new fancy upgrades of bullet/shell feeders though. I think after using the Hornady you might regret the Lee purchase. Just my opinion.

I have 5 progressives now thatI have come across in great deals and projects cleaning up. I wonder if I really need that many considering my first paragraph and my bench space is becoming crucial.

It is nice though having a dedicated equipment!

Boolit Master
    Don't forget a lot of .223 brass has crimp in primers and some have berdan primers, you need a concept to deal with them. This slows me down a lot, else .223 is a very simple round to load with J-bullets.

Vendor Sponsor

Or you could sell the LNL and probably get nearly enough to buy a Dillon 650 and still use your case feeder to boot. You'd be money ahead to just stop and do it over right. I won't even speculate that you'll be much happier, I know you will.

The Dillon is much faster to change over, and a much more friendly piece of machinery.

Sometimes you just have to stop what you are doing, and regroup. When you find out you have gone down a wrong or bumpy road or that your needs have changed it is usually worth the effort to just turn around and go back to the junction and go down the right road. This is certainly true of your machinery right now.

I understand production very well as that is what I do in my machine shop. I will scrap a complete setup on a machine when it proves to be a PITA, and move the job to another machine just to make the job run easier or better. It will cost me the time and effort to re-set up but in the end I will come out ahead with both better product and less effort. In fact I just did this exact thing last Saturday and it resulted in my not having to work on Sunday..

The LNL is no match for a Dillon 650 a far as user friendliness, speed of changeover , and most importantly speed of production. I would easily expect the Dillon to out produce the LNL by at least 2:1, and do it consistantly with fewer problems and less head aches. They are a joy to use just like every other Dillon product.

Changeover to .45 acp from .223 would be less than 10 minutes and if tooled correctly you would just start loading with no adjustment whatsoever. You can't argue with this approach.

You'll be money ahead believe me and you won't hate using the machine, which is really where you are at right now. This should be a fun thing for you to do, and with what you are using it just sounds like work.

Just my .02 but if you read enough posts about machinery here at this site you wil see what I am talking about. Dillon has a reputation which is exemplary, and they didn't get it by accident. I feel as far as progressive presses go there is little reason to go anywhere else.

"They are just that good" to quote Triple H.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post

I have 5 progressives now thatI have come across in great deals and projects cleaning up. I wonder if I really need that many considering my first paragraph and my bench space is becoming crucial.

It is nice though having a dedicated equipment!

if you have an extra machine maybe we should talk?