Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Reliable AR15 uppers for .22 ??

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Reliable AR15 uppers for .22 ??

Does anyone here know of a well made reliable upper for the AR15 ? Preferably one that has good magazines that work and are readily available .

I'd like to put it on a newer Colt frame .

Thanks , Jack

Boolit Master

Have you looked into one of the drop in bolt conversions. I don't know the name of them, but a couple of guys at the range have tham and they are very reliable. Less than $200.00 too.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the Ciener conversions. You just drop the bolt carrier out and replace it with the Ciener unit. Black Dog Machine makes 25-round magazines that look like a regular AR magazine with the little 22 pod sticking up. Mine has never hiccuped shooting; even in bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang mode with kids behind the butt. Mr Ciener has temporarily suspended production, but there are lots of them available on auction sites.

A friend bought a dedicated upper for his, and I think you know how that story ends...
    Four months, and he has another six-hundred dollar lower and butt stock down the road; he has a complete AR in 22lr.

That said, if you check out www.boomershooter.com and dig around a bit: you will find a company called (iirc) jboutfitters, they were offering a complete upper in the $500 range. It also takes the BDM magazines as well.

hope this is of some assistance...

Rich

Boolit Master

Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy
    cmmg dedicated 22 upper comes with a proper 1 in 16 twist barrel, use with black dog magazines, accurate and no jams. The 22 conversion bolts work but are not very accurate with 223 barrels.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Blasting upper or serious upper for High Power practice ? Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering and Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks both make VERY accurate uppers with barrels using correct twist(1:16?) for .22 RF. They make 'em in both Service and Match configurations. The kits function, accuracy suffers in most .223 barrels(usually 1:7 to 1:10), but I have an older pencil barrel in 1:12 that holds minute of nickel at 25 yards.

Lotta cheap fun, whichever way you go !

I'm looking for drop dead reliability first and accuracy right behind that . If the five hundred dollar units are gonna jam , be inaccurate and in general make me sorry I spent the money I may as well buy the best first and save money and headache .

Like anyone else I'd rather not have to dedicate a couple paychecks to the job of shooting one inch goups at thirty or so yards . It's purpose , be able to put on my Colt frame or my Nephews Colt frame and get better with the AR . Since I used to shoot highpower I'd rather it be in a highpower configuration with good iron sights .

I'm sure Compass lake does good work but before laying out cash I'd like to know where the dollar level of quality brings .

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 12-10-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    I am not impressed with my CMMG upper in 22LR. Only feeds one type of 22's and is not so reiable. I would look into the M&P AR22 rifle. Get a complete gun for the price of an upper. My CMMG and black dog mags are OK but my brothers M&P mags are much better with the button to pressdown the follower and spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The LT version they offer would be nice for scope use if I couldn't find a service style upper for near the same money .

Jack

Moderator Emeritus
    Jack,

I have used a Ceiner kit with a RRA NM AR-15 (1-8 twist) and get better than an inch groups at 50 yds with Wolf Match ammo. I was getting pretty lousy groups with other ammo so I fired the first Wolf group pretty quickly and was amazed at the result. After seeing the group, I was able to repeat it while taking my time.

John

Spikes Tactical makes some nice drop-in bolt-conversion for the AR-15. I have one installed in a 1-9 twist carbine upper, and it shoots about 3-4 inch groups at 50 yards with bulk ammo. Fine for plinking or practice for tactical matches etc. I have never tried quality match ammo in it.

http://www.spikestactical.com/

.22 LR In AR 15

I built a .22 LR upper using a Compass Lake barrel and bolt kit, it is very accurate using CCI standard velocity, the only ammo I have used. Functioning however, is not always 100%, if there is no pressure against the magazine it is very reliable but not 100%. I mostly shoot it single shot using the sled I purchased from Compass Lake so functioning has not been much of an issue.

Accuracy has been very good, I have been able to shoot 1 hole groups offhand at 50 feet and clean the 100 yard reduced high power target at 100 yards shooting prone, sitting, and often offhand.

This rifle, except for the 2" shorter 24" barrel is an exact copy of my high power match rifle allowing me to practice indoors during the winter.

Be prepared to destroy your $500 budget on this project.

John

-Remember-
    Anything is possible if you don’t know what your talking about.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Jack,

I have used a Ceiner kit with a RRA NM AR-15 (1-8 twist) and get better than an inch groups at 50 yds with Wolf Match ammo. I was getting pretty lousy groups with other ammo so I fired the first Wolf group pretty quickly and was amazed at the result. After seeing the group, I was able to repeat it while taking my time.

John
    Don't send Ceiner any money. He's in jail right now.

I heard about Ceiner , being in the slammer would tend to put a crimp on his gun business .

Everything I'm seeing is telling me that a five hundred dollar bill is not gonna last very long in the upper market . Gary said it and a pal of mine said the same thing , why not just get an M&P and be done with it ? I dunno ....... couple things I guess , I'd rather have a full size rifle or at least a front sight farther away . As I get older I might regret that idea . Another thing is are they using cast parts and how long until it breaks .

Plus I'm still kinda miffed at S&Ws deal with the devil back when slick willy was in office .

If I resist the urge , maybe it will go away ???

Jack

Boolit Master
    Just sayin', if you look at cmmg, read the fine print VERY carefully to determine the country of origin.

It's called a Marlin model 60

There's that option too Gabby . Who knows I may just find a different rifle the lad can practice marksmanship with . The idea I had was to find something that could be put on his frame so he can get better with what he has . Given his economic condition it's unlikely he will be spending money for new guns anytime soon . I am hoping I can figue out something to get him better behind the trigger .... the police academy didn't really do him any favors there .

Not that I like the M4 configuration , that is what he has , of course with his young eyes he can see the sight that close to him . It's old guys like me that have a problem there Next time he comes over perhaps I can get him to use my ancient bolt action rimfire rifle .

Jack

Banned
    My Model 1 dedicated upper and Black dog mags has been 100% reliable with everything I have shot in it. Had an Olympic upper that was picky