WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee turret questions

Lee turret questions

OK I finally broke down & got me a press today. For now what looks to fit my needs is this press.

Now first question what all powder measurers will work on this & witch would be reconmended?

Boolit Master
    My Lee auto disk measure works great on my Lee classic Turret press, and I have made an adaptor to use the Lee volumetric rifle measure as well. I'm sure other brands will also work, maybe some of the other guys here will chime in with their experiences.
    lathesmith

Boolit Master

The Lee powder measure fits right on, however, for full length cartridges you need the extension piece.
    Also, it needs the primer attachment in the ram, or primers go all over the place.
    I prime seperately, but I leave the primer attachment in place.
    All in all, it is a nice press.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee Classic Turret is the best press for the money, PERIOD. I have two Dillon 550B's that I use almost daily and LOVE them. However, the Lee is my choice for development work. I can change calibers in seconds and under 200 rounds, I use the Lee. Over 200 rounds (a purely arbitrary figure) I use the Dillons.

If I was starting out and money was a problem (it certainly was when I first got married - 50 years ago) the Lee Classic Turret would be my only press.

I use the Lee PRO Disc measure (well worth the extra money as opposed to the standard disc measure). You can get a Lyman adaptor for your Redding, Lyman, or RCBS powder measure for the large rifle calibers. It works very well. Not quite as quick and easy as the Lee Disc but DOES work well for the bigger cartridges.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    lathesmith, comments or prices for buying/making an adapter that you spoke of?
    Does Lee make such a critter?
    I am VERY interested in any details you can divulge.
    Thanks.............
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I use two powder measures on my Lee Classic Turret press. I use the Pro Auto Disk with a riser for pistol cartridges and I use a RCBS Uniflow sitting on top of a Hornady LnL case activated powder drop for rifle. Both types of powder measures work great in their intended applications.

Regards,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I have the LCT and the pro auto disc measures. I love them both. I use the LCT for my low volume loads and use the measures on both the Lee and my Dillon 550.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    The Lee powder measure fits right on, however, for full length cartridges you need the extension piece.
    Also, it needs the primer attachment in the ram, or primers go all over the place.
    I prime seperately, but I leave the primer attachment in place.
    All in all, it is a nice press.
    I know what you are talking about, this happens with my Lee Classic, what I have done is to take a proper size piece of brass rod (quarter or three sixteenth maybe) and squeezed it in the slot where the primer arm is supposed to go, perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehorn View Post
    I have the LCT and the pro auto disc measures. I love them both. I use the LCT for my low volume loads and use the measures on both the Lee and my Dillon 550.
    Now maybe if I could find the Pro Auto I could see for myself.

Thanks for the info guys.

Boolit Master
    Lee, here's a pic of that adapter for the Lee rifle measure. IIRC, the measure has coarse threads and the powder thru expander die has fine threads. When in use, you need to short-stroke at this station, but it otherwise functions as normal. It was very useful for my Pyrodex loads for 45 Colt. Send me a PM if you would like a little more info on this handy gadget.
    lathesmith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shooting stuff 001 (Small).jpg  

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Doesn't Lee make a universal adapter?

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

The Lyman 55 measure with its 7/8X14 adapter and drop tubes would work very well for you.

Boolit Bub
    xd- shooter : I am a proud owner myself of an XD-9 (4"barrel). I also just recently purchased a Lee Classic Turret. My friend has been reloading my 9mm ammo for me for a while now, I will get the loads that I have him make up for me for what shoots best in mine. I can certainly tell you that from my experience, cast boolits reloaded shoot WAY better than that factory ****.

Anyhow, how do you like the sights on yours. I have just the factory sights that it came with however I soon will be making some mods with the sights experimenting with (christorbust) on some glow paint to possibly work in some kind of night sights without going tritium ($100+). I will keep you updated if you like. Back to my factory sights. I personally prefer a longer sight radius and narrow front sight than what mine came with. I added a HOGUE hand grip on mine and it feels much more comfortable in the hand and easier draw for carrying.
    1Peter 2:11

Boolit Bub
    I have found that 4.1gr Hodgdon titegroup with 119 gr TL bullets work best in my XD, however, it is always best to check ones reloading manual for specifications as such. Best of luck!
    1Peter 2:11