RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Cartridge - Dangerous Game

Big Bore Cartridge - Dangerous Game

I'm looking for a Big Bore cartridge for dangerous African game.

Anyone can get a 458 Win mag, 458 Lott, or the like, I'm looking for something different.

Criteria is 500gr or better, 2000fps or better, and in a repeating action (no single shots or double rifles).

Priced under $5K......

Does anyone have any input on a non-typical big bore thumper, that of course, I can still get components for.

Let the discussion begin.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Right near my home here, is "Alkali Gunsmithing International".

hey offer a full-custom large-caliber rifle in a wide variety of chamberings, including wildcats and large calibers.

Their "Kalahari" model is intended for African big game, and is priced at (co-incidence?) $5050...right on the edge of your budget. Take a look at their website, and click on "Custom Rifles" in the list of options on the left-hand side.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar

Boolit Master
    Have you considered the 475 A&M as a cartridge? Based on the 378 Weatherby case necked to .475, it can launch a 400 grain bullet at 3200 fps, yep, varmint cartridge speeds!! The 500 grain bullet you request can achieve nearly 3000 fps. More info should be available in "Cartridges of the World".

I first heard of it in the late 60s or early 70s when I saw one in a gunshop in Avon, Ohio. It might be what you are looking for.

But consider this, at one time it was unlawful to import ammuntion into some African countries that was headstamped differently from the rifle. This law effectively forbade the use of wildcats. Not sure if it is still in affect, but it would be worth finding out before you spend too much money on something you can not use.

Oh, the rifle was built using one of the P14 or P17 actions that were plentiful in that era.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Local dealer has a CZ Safari chambered for 505 Gibbs on the shelf for around 2K, with a couple boxes of ammo. That ought to do it.

Chickenstripe, what are you shooting for a big bore now? As far as recoil goes a .458 Lott opened my eyes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Local dealer has a CZ Safari chambered for 505 Gibbs on the shelf for around 2K, with a couple boxes of ammo. That ought to do it.
    I'll second that.

I shot one about a year ago. Great rifle and cartridge, 525 grain bullets at up to 2200 fps. It's now on my "I want one list".
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't think of anything that could survive the .458 Lott. It launches the 500 grainers just fine, components are easily obtained and it will do cast as good as jacketed. Let us know what you find in your search.

Boolit Master
    Check out the 50 Razor Back, based on the 300 Ultra Magnum case. JTknives is pushing a 500gr paper patched slug out of his barrel at about 2500fps....its a wicked round and cases arent that hard to make or that expensive. Its on my to build list.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master
    I just don't get the need for a "nobody else has it " gun.
    What type of dangerous game? Unless you are talking rhino or elephant then a 375 H&H will do all you need.
    Just my way of thinking I suppose.

Boolit Man

It doesn't quite fit your criteria, but I think the 416 Taylor can take care of anything. That's what I'm currently building on a 98 Mauser action.

416 Taylor, 411 KDF, 411 Express should be able to get at least a 450 gr lead boolit to work

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I think you should just buy my .458 Win Mag., and be happy!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    416 Taylor, 411 KDF, 411 Express should be able to get at least a 450 gr lead boolit to work
    DH,
    What is the .411 Express?
    Hawk?

Boolit Master
    chickenstripe,
    I would build a big bore on a Winchester SS Classic as they will feed FN bullets due to their coned breech with way less drama than other rifles..
    I speak from experience on this dealing with small bores..

Are you planning on using cast bullets to hunt dangerous game?

The accuratereloading.com "Big Bore" forum is your huckleberry...

Boolit Master
    Come to SW Idaho and I will let you shoot my 550 Gibbs. Built it on a 1917 Remington action. You can take the bolt out, and drop loaded 458 Lott ammunition down the muzzle without hitting the barrel enroute.

You have to experience an eleven pound rifle with a 700gr J-bullet at 2600fps to really discuss recoil...

Imagine a conventional RN Soft Point that is 1.28" long and weighs 700gr and a special alloy brass and something truncated cone solid that weighs the same, but is 1.49" oal.

Colin Stolzer is building me a Ten Bore BPE Double Rifle now, for 960 gr cast boolets.

Yeah, I like big rifles too...

Rich

Some interesting responses, just as I had expected.

I knew I was asking the right bunch of guys.

It's not a matter of having something that nothing else has, just an investigation of what else is avalable. In North America a "big gun" is relative, and usually 30-33cal with 70+ grains of powder behind it.

The Alkalai Corp site is interesting, I'll have to do some investigating. http://www.alkalicorp.org/9252/9706.html

I've fired a CZ in 458 Win Mag, rechambered to 458 Lott (500gr solid @ 2200fps). I didn't feel the recoil was very punishing, particularly after seeing what it did to the 2" thick. 20"dia steel plate at 200yds. I guess I feel that it's the price of doing business at that level.

I don't believe I would use cast boolits to hunt dangerous game, probably barnes solids, based upon experiences with their other bullets.

The South African Police inspect all of the ammunition, and ensure that it matches the cartridge designation on the rifle.

The Turnbull is an interesting choice, and back on the list. I didn't realize they made rifles for less than $25K.

Any semi-auto rifle is strictly forbidden in Africa.

475 A&M..... never heard of that one. some investigation is in order. Maybe the guys doing the big bore prarie dog hunting would find this appealing also. I guess the first question would be...... can bullets of that calliber withstand those non-typical impact velocities?

550 Gibbs........
    All I can say is jeeeez...... does it come with a dental plan? or is it a towed/crew served endeavor?

Boolit Master

Two choices come to mind

The .700*** from JTKnives (his build is on this site)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=700+***

or

a 2-Bore BP cartridge firing Jones Underlever from Charles Stolzer
    http://stolzergunsmithing.webs.com/2...underlever.htm

Either one should do just fine for anything up to T-Rex.
    BDGR

Boolit Master
    Go big or go home; .50 BMG.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

DH,What is the .411 Express?

411 on a full length 300 Win Mag case