Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Loading pistol

Banned

Muzzle Loading pistol

So I had some time yesterday and was stopping in a couple of local shops and there sits a CVA black powder pistol, looks like one of the kits that used to be popular. Anyway, it was real cheap and was .45 caliber and had a 10" barrel (the two requirements to hunt deer in Kansas with a ML pistol) so I got it. It doesn't look like it's ever been shot, but it has about a 35lb trigger pull.

Haven't checked the twist, but I'm guessing it's slow. Any recommendations for a bullet that'll carry energy and hit harder than a round ball?

I'm gonna pull the lock off later and see if I can figure out a way to improve the trigger. Anyone have experience or recommendations on how to do this?

The front and rear sights are both held in 3/8" dovetails, so I'm going to look around for something better and adjustable.

I have a tree stand up in a funnel point of thick woods where I have had deer come within spitting distance several times over the years (I built it when I was still into bowhunting) I'm thinking of carrying this with me along with my Hawken in the event an opportunity presents itself for a shot with it, assuming I can get it to where I can hit well with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm only guessing, but I bet you get the best accuracy with a round ball. Try a .440, and then see if a .445 will work. Plenty of whoop - ### for up close hunting. Shot placement has it all over excessive power. If you still have an interest in conicals, the T/C maxi-ball is top shelf. As far as your sights go, once you get your load settled, you can drift the sights into their final resting place and lock 'em down. You've got lots of experimentation to do between .440 balls and .445 balls, patch thicknesses, FFg or FFFg powder, real black or substitute. All part of the fun. Good luck. I love BP handgun hunting. (I've tried all the above and have settled on round ball as my #1 choice.)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I can tell you, Don't start grinding on the lock engagement surfaces to "improve" the trigger pull. The problem is most likely the trigger itself. If you can't figure out the problem, I can probably fix it for you for little expense.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I can tell you, Don't start grinding on the lock engagement surfaces to "improve" the trigger pull. The problem is most likely the trigger itself. If you can't figure out the problem, I can probably fix it for you for little expense.

Thank you for the offer, I'll look at it first and see what I find out and let you know.

I have shot a lot of deer with conicals but may try round ball. At the distances I'm thinking, it probably won't matter anyway. The sights on it are a very narrow blade and notch, it's going to be tough to use in any low light scenario, but I haven't shot it yet and maybe they'll be OK. The trigger worries me more than the sights at this point, there's no way it can be shot accuartly the way it is now.

So, a .440 round ball for starters. Is pillow ticking the referred patch material? I'll have to pick some up.

Boolit Buddy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    So I had some time yesterday and was stopping in a couple of local shops and there sits a CVA black powder pistol, looks like one of the kits that used to be popular. Anyway, it was real cheap and was .45 caliber and had a 10" barrel (the two requirements to hunt deer in Kansas with a ML pistol) so I got it. It doesn't look like it's ever been shot, but it has about a 35lb trigger pull.

Haven't checked the twist, but I'm guessing it's slow. Any recommendations for a bullet that'll carry energy and hit harder than a round ball?

I'm gonna pull the lock off later and see if I can figure out a way to improve the trigger. Anyone have experience or recommendations on how to do this?

The front and rear sights are both held in 3/8" dovetails, so I'm going to look around for something better and adjustable.

I have a tree stand up in a funnel point of thick woods where I have had deer come within spitting distance several times over the years (I built it when I was still into bowhunting) I'm thinking of carrying this with me along with my Hawken in the event an opportunity presents itself for a shot with it, assuming I can get it to where I can hit well with it.
    The 45 Cal 250 grain "Lee Real Bullet" works great.
    Last edited by Fredx10sen; 07-22-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredx10sen View Post
    The 45 Cal 250 grain "Lee Real Bullet" works great.

In what? BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Man

Rich - that sounds like a CVA Kentucky Pistol .45 Caliber. If you pull the lock plate, you will likely see a small spring loaded set screw on the sear. That can be adjusted to provide a clean easy pull. Mine is adjusted down to 3 lbs and can go lower but I don't recommend it. When I got it, the pull was in the neighborhood of 20 lbs.

I use 20 grains of FFFg powder, a .440 roundball and .015 or so pillow ticking patch. Patch lube is up to you but many like bore butter or moose milk. It's a very accurate pistol even to fifty yards but hunting I'd recommend keeping it close, under 25 yards. Good shooting and hunting.

ps I haven't tried the maxi balls in mine so can't comment. G

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post
    Rich - that sounds like a CVA Kentucky Pistol .45 Caliber. If you pull the lock plate, you will likely see a small spring loaded set screw on the sear. That can be adjusted to provide a clean easy pull. Mine is adjusted down to 3 lbs and can go lower but I don't recommend it. When I got it, the pull was in the neighborhood of 20 lbs.

I use 20 grains of FFFg powder, a .440 roundball and .015 or so pillow ticking patch. Patch lube is up to you but many like bore butter or moose milk. It's a very accurate pistol even to fifty yards but hunting I'd recommend keeping it close, under 25 yards. Good shooting and hunting.

Thanks very much, I'll pull off that sideplate when I get a minute or two and look for that adjustment. It would sure be nice if it turned out to be a simple fix.

The rear sight notch is nearly nonexistent, I'm gonna have to open it up some to shoot decently with it, I think. The gun looks unfired. If I can get the trigger pull down, I think the rest will fall into place. Lee makes the REAL in a 200 grain weight in .45, I'll try round ball first, since I have a feeling those will shoot best.

Boolit Buddy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    In what? BvT
    In a CVA Kentucky Pistol built from a kit, also in a pistol that I put together from parts bought at a yard sale, a Lyman .45 Cal Pistol and my 58 Remmies that I have. Even tried that bullet in the Philly derringer pistol I built which didn't work so well. All cast from pure lead and lubed with either Bore Butter, BPCR Supreme or Crisco shortening. I have also ran the bullet through a .430 sizing die and used it in a .44 Mag Cartridge stuffed with BP.

Your right I should have added more information. Sometimes I just get too darn lazy.

Banned

I like the REAL bullets, so that's good to know. When I started hunting with a .50 rifle, I didn't think the REALs would hit hard enough and bought the Lyman Plains bullet mold, which works fine, but the Lee probably would have been plenty effective too.

Boolit Mold
    The deer I've shot with round ball were every bit as dead as the ones I shot with conicals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by psj12 View Post
    The deer I've shot with round ball were every bit as dead as the ones I shot with conicals.

I'm sure they were and I wouldn't worry if it were a .50 caliber rifle, I just know this is going to be a lot more challenging than the Hawken I'm used to. I may go with round ball anyway, but I want to try a few other things too.

By the way, before I take it out to shoot it, I'd like to replace the nipple with one of teh Hotshot nipples, I've found them to give better ignition in my rifles. WHat thread size did CVA use in these?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post

I took off the lock last night and that set screw you describe was there, sure enough. I got it worked down to a reasonable pull, though I haven't weighed it. I may tweak it some more to get it a little better, but I got it too low once and the hammer wants to hang up on the half cock notch when it falls at that point.

Thanks very much for the tip, now I just gotta get some proper round balls and bullets and get it to a range!

Boolit Master
    Can you get Powerbelts in 45cal they load easy and have plenty of weight.

I had one of those pistols years ago I built from a kit it shot great and I could hit a can at 30ft easy. Only reason I dont have it anymore someone broke into my fathers house and stold it.

I have a TC Scout in .54cal that likes round balls and LEE REAL Boolits. Havent wacked a deer with it yet but it goes with me every BP season. Trouble is most of my BP Rifles are .50cal. The guy that sold me the Scout had one in .50cal but the .54 was his wifes and she didn't like it great deal for me though.

Good luck and hope you get a Deer this BP season.

BTW If you happen to hunt at Cheney lake I might see you.
    NRA Life Member

Banned

I do most of mine on the north end of Milford lake, sometimes on Fort Riley, but there's enough public land around that it isn't worth the trouble in September. I've had pretty good luck in the BP season over the years. Usually no one else in the woods and don't have to freeze my butt off like in the regular firearms season.

Banned

I just picked up a NOS Ideal single cavity mold that says it casts a .437 round ball from a local shop. I also picked up some pre cut and lubed pillow ticking patches that say they are .018 thick and a Hotshot nipple for it. That ball is a little smaller than the .440 we talked about, but the patch material is a bit thicker.

I only have some Pyrodex RS and 777 at the moment. I'm thinking of trying 20 grains of Ptrodex with the round balls and some 200 grain REALs a fellow member here provided me. Any thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

20 gr. is a good place to start. 777 is a little stronger so you could start at 15gr but 20 gr is doable too if you like.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

Thanks, by the way, those bullets are great, cast very nicely and not a lot longer than a round ball, I think they're gonna work well.

Banned

Finally got it to a range today and it shot pretty well. As it turned out, my powder measure I took had issues so I had to improvise. I shot it with two .45 ACP cases full of 777 behind bot a patched round ball and the REALs provided me by Mooman76. Despite the difficult sights and trigger, and my mediocre pistol shooting I still managed to shoot a group at 25 yards of four inches. That 25 yards is a realistic range for the stand I plan to hunt with it.

Those REAL bullets sure are a lot easier to load than a patched ball. I think I'm going to pick up a mold for that style bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad to hear you've found success. I did a little T&E today, myself. Shot round ball (rifle) with various patch thicknesses and then patch + wonderwad. Wow! What a difference. Wonderwad under the patch really tightened up the group to an honest one-holer. I've shot REAL's with and without wonderwads with varying results. Just one more thing for you to try. Again, good luck.