Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAA Double Rifle

Boolit Master

EAA Double Rifle

Has anyone heard about the new EAA double rifle in 30-06 and 45-70? I saw a few for sale on Guns America several weeks ago. Retail is around $990, but asking price seems to be anywhere from $758 and up.

I really do want one in 45-70...and maybe one in 30-06.

Check it out and tell me what you think....

http://www.eaacorp.com/pdfs/guns/BaikalMP221.pdf
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    They have been around for several years, Remington does or at least did sell this same gun under their name. I have one in 45-70, it is shootable, but clunky. Several guys on another forum have them and like them and have gotten them to shoot quite well. I've given some thought to making up proper ribs and sights and regulating mine in the traditional way and doing something with the less than beautiful stock, but then I would have a lot of time and more money in a gun worth no more and possibly less than I paid for it. Bottom line, they're a very inexpensive, one might say cheap, way to get into a shootable if not elegant double rifle. Just don't expect a Holland & Holland when you open the box.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

elk hunter does the rifle regulate resonably well or is it a total bust?

HMP

Boolit Master

45-70 double

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    elk hunter does the rifle regulate resonably well or is it a total bust?

HMP

I haven't shot it more than 20 rounds and haven't taken the time to try to regulate it. As it is the barrels shoot apart both horizontally and vertically. There is a spreader bar between the barrels ahead of the forearm for horizontal regulation and I'm reasonably sure I could tweak it to shoot together at say fifty or seventy-five yards, just haven't had the time or inclination to do it. Several guys on the "Accurate Reloading" site have had good luck getting them to shoot reasonably well.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Baikal Artemida as it is called..
    Possible to regulate quite well..
    28mm from 100 meters.

Dont remember the load that I used as it was couple of years ago..
    Sorry about the bad pic.. It was taken with my old mobile.

S

I had a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 about 15 years back and it was a total failure at regulating barrels and had no "spreader bar" to adjust them.The best it did was 3" apart at 25 yards and got worse from there.A friend who owned some fine English doubles told me to just save my money and stay away from the cheap side by sides.Problem is his inexpensive ones were $8-$10,000 !!

HMP

I've shot a freinds `06 Baikal here and with some trigger work and careful adjustments to the regulation adjustments they are very accurate DR's. (Think 2" groups at 50 yds offhand easily.)

BUT the stock trigger adjustment is very heavy. It needs to be 4# on the front and just a shade less in the back.

The stocks need some rasp work but you won't shudder to think of doing it yourself because they're so cheap priced.

These will make a very good entry level DR for brush busting.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I appreciate your input

I still want one of the 45-70 double rifles. I have no problem with providing the work to make it a better gun. Trigger jobs, stock work, regulating the barrels.... really not a big problem for me. Being retired gives me a bunch of time. Having a gunsmith as a great friend gives me the expertise for all the work. To be honest, I have always wanted a double rifle and the EAA gives me the chance to get a starter at a fair price. The only animals I will shoot with it will probably be deer and hogs. Of course there is the occasional cotton tail. You know if those things charge there is nothing better to have in your hands than a double rifle
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

"You know if those things charge there is nothing better to have in your hands than a double rifle"

i still have scars from one cottontail the hounds cornered back in 1982.Wasn't a pretty sight! Seriously...... a pal has a 32-20 double he built on a 410 shotgun i would love to have for a bunny gun.

HMP

Boy, thas "Africanization" if such was ever seen. Double rifle fer cottontails LOL! Thot ah had seen everything.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Talking

I had a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 that would keep both shots at 200 yards on a clay pigeon with one tang sight. I used Lyman's 575513 with Elephant powder. I traded it at Kittery Trading Post for a Leupold scope.

Boolit Grand Master

I have handled and shot two of them so far and if you are a fan of traditional double guns you will be disappointed. Quality control is like Taurus some are really goo and some are not so good. The sights are at best clunky and the stocks harken back to a fence post. Since I get to handle a lot of fine english doubles I am somewhat more picky about what i like than some.

Boolit Master
    We orderd one for a customer and the comb on the fence post stock was so high it was impossible to use the sights.

Another option is the Sabatti double 45/70. I picked one up this morning at Cabelas, and while it isn't a Rigby, it isn't bad. It's regulated to 1.5"@50 yds, basically it shoots a figure 8 shaped group. The triggers are a bit heavy but a trip to a good smith will fix that. I took it shooting today and was glad I had a bunch of ammo because everybody wanted to shoot it. Now I need to find some ill tempered rabbits that need delt with.
    Last edited by Greg in Malad; 03-26-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Greg, look closely at the muzzles and see if they are crowned properly. There has been reports that they have been 'regulated' with a dremmel to shoot to point of aim.
    Basicly don't trust the factory target. It might be a bit off...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    That DR in 32-20 WCF would be a ton of fun, for certain. Rogue cottontails can have their moments, but you haven't lived until you've faced down The California Black-Tailed Jackrabbit. Hot August afternoons.......jumping them off the marijuana grow sites where they graze themselves into a Moro warrior-like frenzy, and attack the unwary brushlands traveler. Fine sport, indeed.

DO NOT--I repeat, DO NOT carry Doritos on any such foray. If the jacks smell snack food, they will attack en masse. Only something belt-fed will save you under such circumstances.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have been charged by an Idaho blacktail jack. A friend made a bad hit with his .458 and the rabbit charged me, unlucky for him, he veered at the last minute and ran into a 500 grain flat point from my 45/70. It's a good thing I didn't have any Doritos on me!

Mike,
    The muzzles look fine. I shot it again this morning and it really likes the 300 grain RCBS bullet. With 14 gr. of trail boss it shoots both barrels into 2"@50 yds and with 20 gr. of 2400 it is perfectly regulated for windage at 100 yds. One barrel hits 3" higher than the other which makes a 6" figure 8 shape group. After the triggers are fixed it should do better.

Sounds good for plinking loads..

What's it do with a fullhouse load?

Two of my 450 NE's love 96 grns of IMR 4831
    The 100 yr + old 500/450 loves 102 grns of IMR4831 all with 450 grn / 500grn boolits.

This is just your first one.. There will be more to come!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Al has terrified me. I will never be able to get near a stoned gopher again.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Mike,
    I will probably never shoot a full power load in it. It will kill deer and rabbits just fine with light loads. I'm already planning a way to afford a Merkel. If I work 80 hrs a week and stop buying food, maybe by 2025.