Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsRepackbox

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My **** Hit the Fan Kit

My **** Hit the Fan Kit

I just made an all leather case last week. If any **** HTF scenario breaks loose, I have a kit ready to pick up and get mobile.

My kit contains a G26 w/3 10 round mags, one 10 +1 Mag and 3 thirty- three rnd mags along with a fire steal, tinder , flashlight, cotton balls, 25 feet of paracord and two boxes of live rounds, a double mag holder, snap on holster, leatherman, knife, pencil and paper.

The fire starter kit is in a smaller latched pouch the incorporates a belt attachment spring if necessary.

I'm not paranoid, it was just a fun project which (doubtfully) possibly could pay off one day. It has no previsions for MRI's and the sort.

I just learned a couple months ago that cotton would burn. The fire steel lights the cotton balls right up. I also dabbed them in vaseline which increases burn time for tinder.

I probably need to make a shoulder strap for other clip-on kits.

Also learned to make some interesting knots.

That said, its all been lots of fun being a kid, in this 56 yr old tinkerers body. Its all been well worth the effort & time spent.

Next I think I will make up a small necessary kit for my Marlin 1894 (357 mag). That would be light in the weight department plus the ammo won't require a lot of space.

The 9mm kit kinda looks like this:

Last edited by Sprue; 03-22-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master

Excellent work

The leather case is well made. Hope you don't have the problem I had. I made one bag ready for my M1A, with mags, ammo, survival gear, etc. Then I had to make a bag for food and water and medicines. My wife then wanted a bag for her 32-20 rifle and pistols, complete with her own survival gear should we be separated. Then I realized I needed another bag for my P16-40 pistols and ammo. Sure glad I have a pickup truck. Now all I need is a forklift to load it with.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    Here is what I make, its nice because if you have a rifle with you your gear is there also, the stuff isnt ment for every day use although it can be taken out of the sling it is hard to get it back in.

Little over 170 feet of paracord,
    CKRT M16 folding knife
    Zip Ties,
    Carabiners,
    Small 5/8" key rings,
    Fire Striker,
    Mini Mini Mag Lite,

What I like about them is if you are hunting and get seperated from your pack and gear you have alot of rope for a shelter, knife, flash light, and a way to make a fire. I would like to add a small compass and maybe weave a couple extra loaded rounds into it.

Up close of the cobra stitch.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Nice looking stuff guys. I really like the looks of that leather bag -- good job that.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy
    A Sharpie marker is very handy too.

Boolit Master
    Next week, tips on how to turn a spare ensilage silo into a bomb shelter.

You guys are starting to scare me just a little.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Boolit Master
    Who's Kidding.......

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    ......I just learned a couple months ago that cotton would burn. The fire steel lights the cotton balls right up. I also dabbed them in vaseline which increases burn time for tinder.
    Looks real purty.

I like alcohol wipes and magnesium starters myself. The wipes are individually packed, don't take much space and can be used for more than one thing. You can sterilize and disinfect a puncture wound. Clean your bifocals (for us old folks) and they burn unbelieveably well in any climate I've ever tried them in.

Many years ago I actually had a class on fire starting. It's amazing how difficult it can be when it's 10 degrees out with snow and ice on the ground.

Banned

I like the idea of the alcohol wipes, I never would have thought of that. That also brings up that one should have some basic first aid provisions in a survival kit too.

Lint from the screen in your clothes dryer works well for fire starting too. Put a zip lock bag of that away in your kit and it will help you ignite tinder very easily. A few of the trioxane tablets like they used to put in C Rations would be good too.

Longwood
    The flash from a fire starter is brighter than a flashlight. One can be seen flashing from a rescue plane or search party from a very long way off.
    I know for sure cause I once saved a guy and his girlfriend from a 2 mile walk because while enjoying my campfire one dark night, I kept seeing the flash from the flint in his Bik lighter.

Longwood
    A fire starter kit could include some dry charcoal cloth. It is very easy to light with a spark, simple to make and it makes the job much much simpler. Those little water tight aluminum screw together pill bottles that Walmart sells are very handy. I have also seen cigar tubes that are really handy for carrying different items.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    I just made an all leather case last week. If any **** HTF scenario breaks loose, I have a kit ready to pick up and get mobile.

My kit contains a G26 w/3 10 round mags, one 10 +1 Mag and 3 thirty- three rnd mags along with a fire steal, tinder , flashlight, cotton balls, 25 feet of paracord and two boxes of live rounds, a double mag holder, snap on holster, leatherman, knife, pencil and paper.

The fire starter kit is in a smaller latched pouch the incorporates a belt attachment spring if necessary.

I'm not paranoid, it was just a fun project which (doubtfully) possibly could pay off one day. It has no previsions for MRI's and the sort.

I just learned a couple months ago that cotton would burn. The fire steel lights the cotton balls right up. I also dabbed them in vaseline which increases burn time for tinder.

I probably need to make a shoulder strap for other clip-on kits.

Also learned to make some interesting knots.

That said, its all been lots of fun being a kid, in this 56 yr old tinkerers body. Its all been well worth the effort & time spent.

Next I think I will make up a small necessary kit for my Marlin 1894 (357 mag). That would be light in the weight department plus the ammo won't require a lot of space.

The 9mm kit kinda looks like this:

That looks very nice indeed! I was trying to think of a project for a big hunk of hide I have and you just made up my mind for me. Haven't used many of the tools for several years, should be a real pleasure to work with them again.

What ever happened to Waksupi’s “99 ways to start a fire without matches”?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    What ever happened to Waksupi’s “99 ways to start a fire without matches”?
    I look for that now and then. I'm not sure where the Gremlins stored it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Don't forget a bic lighter
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

FYI........ I didn't make the Bag shown. I made one similar to this one.

I wouldn't call this kit a survival kit, its just ready for fast deployment with no time to open the safe & pull out a accurrized (sp) cannon.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I like the idea of the alcohol wipes, I never would have thought of that. That also brings up that one should have some basic first aid provisions in a survival kit too.

Lint from the screen in your clothes dryer works well for fire starting too. Put a zip lock bag of that away in your kit and it will help you ignite tinder very easily. A few of the trioxane tablets like they used to put in C Rations would be good too.
    I'll tell you the secret of making it through most survival situations you are ever likely to experience and it has nothing to do with what most people think it does.

Control your environment.

Seems simple, almost stupid, but that's it right there. I used to think that teaching somebody how to make fire, how to signal with a mirror, or maybe build a snow cave or trap game, that this would be the ticket. It ain't, it's not and it never will be. The trick is to overcome the psychological barrier of not being quite in full control. It absolutely cripples some folks ability to function.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamouselguapo View Post
    I'll tell you the secret of making it through most survival situations you are ever likely to experience and it has nothing to do with what most people think it does.

Control your environment.

Seems simple, almost stupid, but that's it right there. I used to think that teaching somebody how to make fire, how to signal with a mirror, or maybe build a snow cave or trap game, that this would be the ticket. It ain't, it's not and it never will be. The trick is to overcome the psychological barrier of not being quite in full control. It absolutely cripples some folks ability to function.
    Good point !
    Sprue ™

Boolit Grand Master

I used to do a lot of backpacking. Since I always had a job, it had to be built around available vacation days and week ends. However, every year, I would take a nine day trip by my self (generally in the Smoky Mountains). This was before hiking was "popular". Often I would not see another soul after the first day from the trail head until the last day from the trail head.

You learn pretty quickly how to "take care of yourself". Wildlife was never a problem - I just "paid attention". We did have some interesting bear encounters as well as feral hogs (descendants of genuine Russian wild boars).

I was always concerned that I would run up against a marijuana patch but never did in Tennessee. Ky was another story...

At any rate, besides recharging my batteries for another year in the rat race, I did learn some life lessons about what is REALLY important. When my children came along, they had the "opportunity" to learn to back pack and be self sufficient, also. It has stood them in good stead.

My oldest son, now a retired full bird Colonel (medical officer) of Delta Force used to look forward to Mash exercises in the field (he LOVED them) when his fellow officers hated them. He would just shake his head at the "wuss factor"...

Understand, that was before he got into Delta Force. There are NO wusses in Delta, Officer or enlisted, male or female, NONE! These are the "Best of the best"!

My daughter is a Dr. of Pharmacy and when she was engaged to a Naval Officer (Exec on a Destroyer) they took a week long hiking and camping trip. It rained the entire week. Mud up to the kazoo. Ray told me later, that my daughter didn't utter one bit of complaint in the entire week and laughed and joked the whole trip. He told me that was a new experience in women for him. They have been married about eleven years, now with two little campers (yeah they took them camping in the mountains of Utah when they were toddlers).

Back on topic. Having a good "kit" is a good idea in general. Whether it is to have at hand all of your hunting gear for a particular type of hunting, or what, it is a good idea.

We had specific shelves that organized our hiking and camping gear. Whether it was used for pure hiking or when hunting it was ready at hand. Good idea...

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Water or obtianing drinkable h2o is #1, packable food or ways to obtain food sources, snares fish/trotline, etc., & First Aid #2, heat source(ex. firesteel/waterproof tinder, etc.)#3, portable shelter #4,,,,, anything beyond simple survival, is convience or comfort. It all depends to distance, time expected to point B, and time of year and conditions. And then point B is already stocked. ( if I was alone without family member(s), i would switch priorities from above)
    It's all sorted by season and need,,, ready, but not packed, (but then it has always been ready, not necessarily for a SHTF situation) ,,,,If I don't have 5 mins. to pack for time&conditions, I figure I'm in a position that's near ***** or worse , I'm better off where I'm at., and or assess at that time.
    Pretty much go the minimalist route,,,1 to 3 weapons of course, but used only as last resort.
    If it got to a SHTF situation, last thing I want is to be near people or attract attention!!!
    Last edited by onesonek; 03-25-2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Dave