Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 1911 boolit?

Boolit Grand Master
    Exactly original, GI mags = Checkmate Industries. Get them with the XP springs, which are Wolff Extra Power equivalent. You must ask for the XP's. Not to be dismissed; only a 2.40 option instead of seven bucks aftermarket.

Do NOT fail to order the XP springs.

These GI mags, due to a knowledgeable gunsmith's input, are actually as good or better than original GI's because the release point has been optimized..this makes these excellent for ball, HG 68 SWC's and HP's with a ball like ogive. What makes them better than original GI's is the offering of the XP springs. Not to be missed out on!

Boolit Grand Master
    Read this most excellent post on tapered lip (original GI and hybrid type) 1911 magazines.

It explains WHY they work.....because JMB designed them to work with the gun in the first place.

BUT it's never been explained better than here.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=26407

Also read the stickies under the magazine section in this forum. You will benefit thereby.

Boolit Grand Master
    INVALUABLE INFO, gentlemen. Many thanks!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Saz

I have the Lee 200 SWC (conventional lube groove). It's a fine shooter; I can't discern any difference between results with it and the H & G 68 at 25 yards, but it's not an exact copy of the H & G 68. Longer nose, smaller meplat, has to be seated to a longer COAL than does the 68. I went away from it strictly because of my prejudice ( NOT supportable with logic or empirical evidence) against bevel base boolits. If you don't share this prejudice, the Lee in a six-banger wouldn't be a wrong choice.
    Last edited by flinchnjerk; 03-18-2011 at 11:53 PM.

35 Remington,
    I believe I found the correct magazine you were referring to here but I am unsure of the spring you were talking about on this page.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Couldnt stand it anymore, and I ordered a 6 banger lee 200 swc today. Itll be here in about a week or so..........
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    When contacting Checkmate, be sure to ask for he XP springs. They'll know what you're talking about when you mention it, and you'll get them. They are not listed on site because they have not updated it, but they are available.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the Checkpoint mags and have no problem with them. They are also very reasonable in price. I can't see paying 35 dollars for a magazine when my 18 dollars magazines work so well.

Boolit Master

45 Colt bullet in 45 ACP

I primarily use the 200 grain 45 Colt LRNFP bullet in my 45 acp pistols. I only have two 1911 pistols in 45 acp left, a Springfield loaded and a Para single stack. I use Chip McCormick Power Mags and have had no failures to feed in thousands of rounds. Needles to say, I also shoot other bullets designed for the 45 acp; the 230 TC, 230 RN, and 200 SWC for the most part. The reason for the 200 grain LRNFP is because it loads so well in my 45 acp revolvers using full moon clips. It was a happy circumstance that led me to try the same load in my 1911s.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

I got the Lee 230g TC standard groove in a 6 gang and never looked back.

Lube them with White Label BAC and size them .452. Load them over 5.3g W231.

When I take my daughter's boyfriend(s) out for some quality time, they typically say I keep shooting the same hole.

Add to this, the TC bullet can be used for hunting or SD - very effective.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

I use the lee 200 grs swc, and is happy with it, but cant wait to get my hands on MiHec's 200grs hp.

I use the Lee 450-200-1R a 44 black powder boolit. Drops right at .452" @ 200gr. , 1.200" OAL in ACP

Boolit Master
    lookin for a 45acp mould also. How does one get ahold of Mihec to see if he has any HG#68 moulds you guys are so fond of....or was it a GroupBuy??

Boolit Grand Master

Send Mihec a Private Message to see if he has any left (yes, the H&G #68 WAS a couple of Group Buys).

Good luck - you cannot do better!

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    A little update on the 45 ACP subject, on a more personal level. GOT ONE--a Colt Gold Cup National Match, LNIB with one Colt magazine. Also scored 2 more Colt OEM mags for the present time.

The pistol on its first range trip fed 50 each of Lyman 452460, Lee 230 TC, and factory Ranger SXT without a bobble. Lyman's #452374 over 5.0 grains of WW-231 balked.......OK, something ain't right. Insufficient taper crimp, with remaining flare at case mouth easy to feel. Reset crimp to .473", and 100 of those ran like water through the Colt. Cause--operator headspace @ reloading bench, not attributable to pistol or mags.

The Colt OEM mags show a tapered feed lip contour when viewed from above. $18 each, and an OEM mag cheaper than Glocks. What's not to like? The Checkmates will follow, 'cause this hyar 1911A1 is a KEEPER.

I'm not sure if I ever answered the OP's initial question. Lee 230 TC, but that's not a strong preference. I like all those I've sampled so far in this pistol, as well as the BD 45. The #452460 has been the most accurate in a range of pistols for me, and very pleasant to shoot at 800 FPS or so.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 04-11-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

As I have said repeatedly here, IME 85% of jams in handloaded ammo for .45 ACP 1911s is
    inadequate TC. You proved it again, but the good news is that, as an experienced loader,
    you figured it right out by yourself.

You'll like the gun. If the rear sight is held in with a roll pin, immediately make a replacement
    out of 1/16th inch piano wire (lots of hardware stores or model shops have a small display
    of 12" or 18" long piano wire) cut a bit long with a dremel and abrasive cutoff wheel. Round
    over the ends by spinning it against the abrasive wheel and then put a noticable bend into
    it with pliers. Drive this in and you will be done - the bend keeps it from coming out and
    it won't break like the roll pin will. Eliason sights will fail at about 30-60K rounds, even with
    the solid pin, so don't be shocked. It is still a really decent sight.

Are you familiar with the Gold Cup sear arrangement? If not, PM me and I'll give you a
    quick tip which will save you HOURS of grief trying to put it back together if you pull the sear
    and disconnector. NOT the same as a normal 1911, but easy to do if you get the trick.

The 452460 was my most accurate .45ACP boolit until I got the Mihec 200 RN HP, basically a
    Cramer pin 452374 clone. It beats the 452460 at 50 yds by a good bit in my old Kimber.
    Have not yet tried the Mihec in my ultra accurate Dan Wesson Pointman 7.

Congrats, they are nice guns.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 04-14-2011 at 12:16 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

9.3X62AL;
    MtGun44 is giving you the "straight skinny" on the sight pin. When I and my sons were shooting IPSC, my son's Colt Gold Cup received the sight treatment after breaking the roll pin. It never failed again.

In my not so humble opinion, proper taper crimp diameter at outside diameter of the case mouth is .470".

My personal choice in a target and high velocity cast bullet load is the 200 gr H&G #68 (I use a Mihec moulded clone of the #68). However, the Lee TC is a good bullet if you prefer 230 gr bullets. I use the Lee for quick reloads in my 625's, also. They feed flawlessly in the revolver (as well as my 1911's) for speed reloads with full moon clips.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with your choice of the Lyman 452460 bullet, ether.

I also have the Mihec 200 gr Cramer Style hollow point and it is a varmint bullet "par excellence" as well as a VERY accurate bullet.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rogsir View Post
    I use the lee 200 grs swc, and is happy with it, but cant wait to get my hands on MiHec's 200grs hp.
    Same here!
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Master

My new Kimber Ultra carry is loving the LEE 200 grain TL SWC's. Loaded over 4 grains of Red Dot, they are a fun load with plenty of pop.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Well I finally got my lee H&G 68 copy today! Damn backorder. Gotta prep, leement and cast. More to follow.....
    Theodore Roosevelt