Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Educate me about turret presses

Quote Originally Posted by SkookumJeff View Post
    Skipper488: I bought a Lee universal decapper so when I get the Lee Classic Turret I can leave the decapper in my single stage press and decap the cases before I tumble clean them. I have problems with primers not wanting to seat all the way if I don't clean the primer pockets first.

I know just what you mean. I decap my cases first and clean the primer pocket before reloading as well. I've always wondered how people deal with this with a progressive...assuming they're dumping their previously shot brass into the progressive before decapping and processing it?

All of the people that I know personally (3 including me) that load on progressives don't clean the primer pockets. I've never had an issue.
    My guess is that most people that reload for pistol on a progressive don't clean the primer pockets.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    All of the people that I know personally (3 including me) that load on progressives don't clean the primer pockets. I've never had an issue.
    My guess is that most people that reload for pistol on a progressive don't clean the primer pockets.

Jeff
    for normal every day stuff i use the press in full progressive...no stopping for primer pocket cleaning.

for some of my match ammo i do process brass(size deprime, bell, polish clean primer pockets, maybe hand prime) and then load( maybe prime, powder drop, seat crimp)

so i do both.....less and less pistol primer pocket cleaning....

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Grand Master
    I really like my Lee Classic Turret.

I have 6 Die Heads, I made myself a rack to organize them with.

You can change calibers in about 30 seconds now.

You'd like it

Boolit Master

I load for: 380 ACP, .30 Carbine, 327 Fed Mag, 9 MM, .38/357 Mag, .40 S&W, .41 Rem Mag, .44 Special, .45 ACP and 45 Colt in pistol calibres.

In rifle we go with .223 Remington, 6.5 x 55 MM Swedish, 30-06 (Garand), .303 British, 8 x 57 MM and in BCPR a 50-90 Sharps.

The shotguns and .22 lr's I buy store bought ammo for.

I load the .45 ACP's and 9 MM's on a Dillon 550 RL and a Dillon Square Deal Press respectfully as I load a lot of them and I leave them alone as they work fine and do not need any more tinkering nor adjusting nor fixing.

Pretty much for everything else I use the Lee Cast Turret Classic Press. The turret heads are cheap enuf that I have one availble for all my dies and my dies keep well and never require adjusting after I get the ammo I want set up.

I usually decap with a Lee Challenger Press while watching TV and then clean the brass in a wet tumbler. Again watching TV I prime the cases by hand and then proceed to the reloading part of it.

The radio goes on and with the auto advance set up on the Lee Turret press I can get some good production on making good ammo for my guns. I would be faster on the Dillon 550RL but the set up time is a PITA and the amounts of ammo made are low enuf that I do not mind spending the time with the Lee.

I can change calibers pretty fast and load as much or as little as I want the pre loaded turret rings allow me to leave the settings alone between sessions. I do not spend much time turning reloading dies.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

My mess lol.

And I have to agree I really like my Lee Classic Cast Turret Press it is all I use from .38Sp to 45-70.

I would also have to say that Pats Rock Doc is nice to have as well. Makes things so much easier and saves bench space.

If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Turrets? Did anyone say, turrets?

Ever seen a forest of Hollywood turrets?

Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ponsness-Warren Metal-Matic P-200. Shell holder pivots under stationary die turret. I like mine.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Jester I like the paint job on the classic cast.

Boolit Master

Could you explain how the P200 and its larger brother work? Their web site doesn't adequately explain. Do you manually advance the shellholder like the Dillon 550B?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper488 View Post
    Jester I like the paint job on the classic cast.
    Skipper it is the same Color as Ben's in Post 23 of this thread. I just do not know how to work a camera correctly lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Man
    Stick with your Coax Jeff, with the universal shell holder and slip-in,slip-out die changes it is just as fast or faster than a turret. IMO
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by liljohnnie View Post
    Stick with your Coax Jeff, with the universal shell holder and slip-in,slip-out die changes it is just as fast or faster than a turret. IMO
    another non-believer....

"my single stage press is faster than...(pick your name )"

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    another non-believer....

"my single stage press is faster than...(pick your name )"
    What is it i don't believe in? There is no regular single stage that is faster than a turret but we're not talking about a rockchucker now are we,no we're talking about a Forster Coax press.Google it.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by liljohnnie View Post
    What is it i don't believe in? There is no regular single stage that is faster than a turret but we're not talking about a rockchucker now are we,no we're talking about a Forster Coax press.Google it.
    its is still a single stage press and the required motions still exceed that of a turret for xxx rds of ammo.....

so it just aint gonna be faster that the turret....is it faster that other singles...maybe....

mike in co

Liljohnie,

Thanks for your reply. That's what I've always thought. I just thought I might be missing something.

Mike,

How is it possible that a turret will have fewer motions than a single stage? You still have one handle pull per operation, and you still have to index the turret for each step.
    I suppose that I have to put the round in the shell holder and then move it to the loading block for each step. Whereas you have to put the round in the shell holder and then index the turret for each step. So it seems like the same number of steps.
    I'm not claiming that single stage with quick change dies is faster, I just don't think that it is much - if any - slower.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff423; 01-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Jeff it depends on the turret Press. Most you do have to move the Turret to the next die station. The Lee Classic Cast Turret Press will automatically move to the next station so you do not have to move the turret. Plus you can use the LCCTP in single stage mode. And then you have to move the turret by hand to the next station. But you do not have to remove and install each die one at a time like a true single stage press.

And yes even with a Turret press of any type it takes a pull of the handle to do one operation. As you only have one case in it at a time.

Now back to Turret Presses lol.

Boolit Master

That's why there is more than one channel on a TV set. Not everyone like the same thing.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    That's why there is more than one channel on a TV set. Not everyone like the same thing.
    i like that

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    Liljohnie,

Thanks for your reply. That's what I've always thought. I just thought I might be missing something.

Mike,

How is it possible that a turret will have fewer motions than a single stage? You still have one handle pull per operation, and you still have to index the turret for each step.
    I suppose that I have to put the round in the shell holder and then move it to the loading block for each step. Whereas you have to put the round in the shell holder and then index the turret for each step. So it seems like the same number of steps.
    I'm not claiming that single stage with quick change dies is faster, I just don't think that it is much - if any - slower.

Jeff
    no its not the same number...you put the case in once..take out a loaded round...turned the tuuret three or four time depending on the process.........same number of handle pulls both ways.
    so without handle pulls one in , one out, four rotations...six moves per rd.
    with the single/bonanza what ever...
    one in and one out for each die...x 4 dies.....8 moves vs six......25% less movement in the turret....if you coutn handle pulls the % goes down...but always less in the turret.

mike in co

Mike,

I'm sure your numbers are right. Do you think it makes any practical difference in speed?