WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dumb TV gun stuff

Boolit Master

Dumb TV gun stuff

Watched an episode of a Canadian cop shop show while snowed in - Cold Squad, I believe. Anyway an old murder was from a ".38" wound, a .357 had been recovered recently, and the forensics person was explaining to the cop that it could be the same firearm, since ".38's and .357's have the same barrel size" !
    See, who says TV isn't educational !?

My wife tapes her soaps during the week and watches on the weekend - so yeah, I sit through some of 'em with her - the gun in the hand of the "bad guy" changed from a blued pistol to a nickel/stainless revolver in sequential scenes on one of 'em ! Whatever the prop guy picks up first, I guess.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember in an early episolde of "Flash Point" the scope was mounted backwards on the rifle the actor was looking thorugh.

Even now on "Hawaii 5-0" it seems they have special firearms that have solved the recoil problem.

I always get a good laugh out of these.
    Always remind myself "it's just TV"

Boolit Grand Master
    Off topic a little bit.....but do you remember the old black and white westerns, where the 6 shooters would fire 25 times without stopping to reload ?

Banned
    Ben Listen Jerry Mickulic personally trained all those guys come on didn't you see his name in the credits ????????????? just kiddin

Boolit Master

Watched an episode of "Castle" (silly cop/mystery show) where a major plot point was "proving" that a flintlock dueling pistol couldn't hit a man-sized target at what looked like 50 feet. Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton were unavailable for comment.

Boolit Buddy
    Or in some programs/movies, when they are shooting a semi auto/auto, and there is no brass being ejected.

Boolit Grand Master
    I vote for Elmer Fudd's 25 round double barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

How about that opening shot in "Last of the Moheicans" where after running hundreds of yards after the deer, he pulls up, with his flinter, no weave or breathing problem, and drops the critter on the spot!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Now don't be pick'n on the Last ofthe Moheicans, that is one of the origonal super heros.

Just saw on one of the shows my wife is watching, the perp shot a guy with a "454". Lot of muzzle flash no recoil.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master
    What do you guys expect? They need to solve the crime the day it happened, that way the characters can get on with their over the top sex lives, etc.

I expect no more reality with firearms in tv or movies than I see with anything else.

It is all entertainment to me. Certainly not an educational experience.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    The guy who taught us hunter safety and ran our junior rifle club in the 70's started the program every year with "don't ever try anything you see on TV. And ESPECIALLY anything you saw on Hawaii 5-0!"

Now I am out doing movie and video special effects, among other things. And I often can't make them look realistic, I have to make 'em look like what the audience is used to from TV and movies they grew up with- everything blows up real slowly and with lots of fire in tinsel town. Bullets sure act funny around there too...
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Those guns were like the ASPERLY AIMLESS. (SP) see the old thread.

Boolit Master

The thing is - many non-shooters believe what they see on TV/in the movies is possible. So entertainment aside, I like to point out some of the absurdities to some of 'em. Everybody here knows better, of course !

At least on TV they keep showing people shooting straight through the windshield instead of the dash on front of the person. By seeing this all the gang bangers will shoot straight in and there rounds will end up in the roof. Try watching tv with some gun/bullet knowlege and any sort of a medical back ground, the wife really gets irritated.
    mato pezuta
    Just picking brains, mines worn out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Off topic a little bit.....but do you remember the old black and white westerns, where the 6 shooters would fire 25 times without stopping to reload ?

And not only that, they almost had to throw the bullets out of the barrel!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    How about that opening shot in "Last of the Moheicans" where after running hundreds of yards after the deer, he pulls up, with his flinter, no weave or breathing problem, and drops the critter on the spot!
    1Shirt!
    You mean like biathlon competitors do?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remebrance

It's not even the gun stuff that's over the top on the cop shows, it's conducting autopsies in dark rooms, 2 cops working one single case for weeks on end with no other cases piling up, no paperwork, court time, training time, etc. Completely unrealistic.

And I don't know how many of you have ever tried to get a plate number during a high speed chase but you need to get a lot closer than old Marty Milner and Kent McCord did on Adam 12!

Just last night on NCIS it was suggested that a test be ran on the woman suspect for the presence of cordite and sulfur to see if she fired a gun.

Douglas, Ret.

Ahhh yes, the smell of cordite - and planes on the tarmac.

Nothing like using terms that sound "romantic" or "authentic" even if the things themselves haven't been used or decades.

Boolit Master
    It's not surprising that nobody ever needs to practice their handgun shooting on TV or in the movies, since they get into at least one gunfight a day on those shows. Of course in those rare situations when they are on the range, it's always a benchrest cluster in the K zone, pretty much expected of someone who essentially gets their target practice in on the street.

They have to maintain this level of proficiency, since the bad guys, after handing over a briefcase of money, can always take a sample weapon out of a crate, pop in a magazine, and fire a 3/4" group on the brick wall at the end of a block-long alley from the hip, in the dark.

I watch most of them anyway, but not for the gun stuff. I like the part where the detective brings in the single hair or fingernail clipping and says "Get this to Trace." The person they are talking to says "I'm on it," and after A Word From Our Sponsor, the computer printout is delivered to the detective with the perp's name, address, driver and car license and his favorite flavor of ice cream.

When I drop off my samples, I get "Well, I've got Mandatory Training this afternoon, then I have a Doctor's appointment tomorrow, and then Official Travel for next week, after which I'm going on Vacation and I generally come home Sick, so I won't be able to get to your stuff for a while."

I need those shows!