Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use 231 powder ?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Anyone use 231 powder ?

I have several pounds of 231 I'd like to try , starting with the forty-five ACP and a Lyman 452374 round nose bullet .

Does this powder work fairly well in the big bore ?

Thanks , Jack

Boolit Master
    Using a Lee 230 Grain .45 cal bullet and 6.0 grains W-231 in my Ruger Blackhawk I get 930 FPS MV...

Yep, it's a very good powder for the .45 auto, I keep several pounds on hand just for that reason. The latest edition of Handloader states it's the same powder as HP-38.

It works very well with the Lyman 452630 200grSWC. 5-6gr should get you in the black quite easily and keep you there with a good 1911.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Moderator Emeritus

Many consider Winchester 231 as THE powder for .45 acp. If it won't shoot with 231, then it probably won't shoot with anything......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Just loaded 600 rounds of .45 ACP cast and jacketed for a friend (in exchange for repairs to my Kayak!) using 231 exclusively. Burns clean and shoots accurate. I used RCBS-230-RNs and SAECO #68 200grn SWCBB. Not a fan of that last mold, all of the edges are filleted AND it's a Bevel Base, but I got a great deal on it.
    I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL! Why do business with people who hate you?
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

Boolit Master
    231/HP-38 is a joy to shoot. As stated above, it burns clean and meters well.

The only drawback is that it's a bit flashy in low-light.

Boolit Buddy
    Im using hp-38 in my Beretta Storm W/230 grain round nose lead. With a mild crimp.
    It gets a bit smoky. Am I doing something wrong?

Moderator Emeritus

The smoke is mostly from the lube on the bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

231 is a kissing cousin to Bullseye which was the original 45 ACP powder. 4.5 to 5 grains is a good load with 200 to 230 grains bullets. I certainly would not shoot that 6 grain load in a 1911 pistol. It is way over the top. It won't take a good Ruger BH apart, but would not be gentle on the autopistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    5.0 grains of WW-231 is a pretty good "hardball" 45 ACP duplicator using Lyman #452374 @ 1.260" OAL.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Man
    The max load listed for 231 and a 230 grain round nose is 5.3 grains, showing 16900 CUP. Interpolating from the pressures listed associated with the min and max charge, 6 grains would likely be over 20,000 CUP.

Boolit Master
    I love 231 in my .45's. I usually shoot 200g's though @ 5.2-5.5 depending on what I need. It's a nice clean burning powder that meters nicely.

TH
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    The max load listed for 231 and a 230 grain round nose is 5.3 grains, showing 16900 CUP. Interpolating from the pressures listed associated with the min and max charge, 6 grains would likely be over 20,000 CUP.
    Probably. But it's stunningly accurate.

6.0 grs of 231 is my "+P" load, and yields 980 fps. 5.4 grs is a closer approximation of good 'ol hardball, and very accurate as well.

So yeah, you can put me down in the "231 is THE powder for .45ACP" column.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That's all good news to me fellas , now , all I gotta do is find a bullet of proper hardness and choose a powder level . There's where it get's tricky , The winchester booklet I have shows a range of 4.7 to 5.1 . The Lyman book and a couple others start near five grains and go to 5.8 .

Hardball level would be fine for me I don't really need plus "P" for this load . What sort of bullet hardness do you use ? I cast some RN today that are at eleven brinell right now , the mix is lino and wheel weights . I have LBT blue in the sizer hoping that will work for lube and a 451 die that leaves bullets at almost .452" .

Jack

I use 452374 cast up in straight WW for a 233 gr. round nose boolit. Then load it with 5.4 gr. of 231 and it gives me about 830 fps. out of a 1911. About as close to hardball as I can get. ( sized .452 and use carnuba red lube)

Boolit Master

That is exactly the load I use for a cast hardball duplication load. 5.4 to 5.6grs is just right and will give you from 830-870fps, depending on the exact burn-rate of the powder, and the conditions your loading/shooting under. It's a good factory ball duplication.

I also would not shoot 6.0grs, as the 5.6grs is pushing +P level already, and is all the snap I want in a 1911. Of course, I shoot WWII-era 1911A1s with the narrow grip safety, so maybe the guys with the beavertails can stand the heavier loads...

You can't do much better than W231 in the 45ACP, although Green Dot comes close...

As far as the smokey-ness, yes, that's a problem. It's mostly the boolit lube, but I've noticed 231 being smokey even with jword loads. I think it's partially due to the formula of the powder and partially due to the low pressures developed in 38s and 45s.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

The three powders used by the military over the years in the .45 ACP were WW231, 700-X and Bullseye.....dependent on the manufacturer and lot numbers. Wish I had a 50# keg sitting in my shop./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The smoke is mostly from the lube on the bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Sure does.
    Thanks Fred

Boolit Master
    231 is an excellent powder for the 45 ACP. 231 is much better than Unique in progressive loading tools.

Fired a couple hundred thousand rounds of 45 ACP in practice and IPSC loaded with 231 over the years.

Checked my supply of 231 last week and have four three pounders and several one pounders in the powder mag.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

I really like 231. It meters well and gives me some accurate, consistent loads. I feel it can be a bit smoky and dirty as well, but I don't mind it. For the calibers I load it is pretty versatile and covers most all of my pistol needs. I would venture to say that I have burned more 231 than all other the other pistol powders I use combined.