MCD ProductsReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remington

Boolit Master
    Maybe there's a silver lining in there. All this publicity will likely cause some people to be more careful where they point that thing, like they should. I tried and tried to "trick" my trigger on a early 70's M700 and could not make it malfunction. I sure as heck will be making sure it's always clean inside, just the same. It occured to me this CNBC program may have been a test balloon to open up a new front against us.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    It occured to me this CNBC program may have been a test balloon to open up a new front against us.
    Do you think? I can't believe that the liberal gun haters would push to have the exemption the firearms industry has from the rule of bureaucrats at agencies like the consumer products safety people.

This is where the real battle will be fought for gun rights. They have learned they can't get in the front door. Now they are looking for a way in through the floor boards like the rats they are.

Boolit Grand Master

krag is right every malfunctioning 700 I have ever had in had either been dinked with or had been gooped up with oil or grease.

Boolit Master

here is a link to the offical remington statement

http://www.remington700.tv/

and a statement to their partners is there also

The guy next to me at the range last weekend flipped the safety on his 700 to fire and it fired. I don't know if he messed with the trigger beforehand or not but it happened.
    Bruce

Boolit Master
    Where there's a lot of smoke..........
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Would not an aftermarket trigger correct this problem until Remington gets their tail in gear and fixes it?
    Not necessarily... Having worked on quite a few 700 triggers since opening the shop, the problem I've seen is not necessarily with the trigger. It's the sloppy-ass tolerancing Remington builds into the manufacturing process of the whole gun...

The last 700 I worked on had a bolt diameter of .692", while the receiver ID was .700". Which generally is not an issue if the lugs fit tight and the bits on the back of the bolt fit tight to the receiver. But if they don't --and for Remington this is common-- you can quite literally take ahold of the cocked bolt in your thumb & forefinger and lift it off the sear, thus releasing the striker. Now take out all creep in the trigger, and you can see where there might be a real problem.

Loose projectile and Bullshot, Please PM me. Its quite apparent that you do not have the full story and yet you are willing to condem with out the full facts. CastBoolits is a great place to learn and discuss. But for the both of you to take such pot shot at some you do not even kno....shame on you.

I know this family personally and I understand a little more of the situation then you do. To be so incentive to a family that lost one of their children is wrong. Apparently neither of you have kids and both of your are so perfect that you can do no wrong. Lots mistakes were made all around, on top of the list, on top the list is Remi being a state of denial.

I am likely to be banned from castboolits....but can't sit aroun and allow a good family be treated like trash. and not say something.....

Neither of you have the full story and you were not there!!!!

I believe if an offense is committed in private....then deal with situation in private.....but if the offense is commited in public (like here) then it should be dealt with in public.....

So to my fellow castboolits brother...if I am kicked off.....thanks for the time we had.

Both of you PM me or at least apologise for jumping to a conclusion with out all the facts.

Lonerider

Boolit Master

Lonerider,

Were you there? Or do you just have a "fulller story"?

When someone puts a gun in their hands, there should be accountable for what happens, even if she did not see her son on the other side of the trailer . . . no different than being sure of your backstop . . . if a hunter shoots at a deer in the woods, but the boolit either misses, or passes through, and hits something else that should not be shot, that hunter is responsible, and should be held accountable.

Mistakes happen.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

In Remembrance

Lonerider

In the interest of fairness I will qualify my statement about gun handling.
    In the early ninties I owned a gun shop. In my opinion fifty to seventy percent of the people that own and handle guns of all kinds are not qualified and should not be allowed to own a gun without some training.
    One example is, a female BATF agent pulled a Winchester 94 carbine off the rack and exclaimed, "These assult rifles are what we are after". I was dumbfounded and didn't make any comment cause I was afraid I wouldn't be able to penetrate her ignorance with any argument. Events such as this stick in a mans mind and flavor his memories.
    I have two sons, one is a retired Air Force Major that I taught safe gun handling to when he was a pre teen. He is apalled at some of the gun handling he sees.
    The older son has given me his guns for safe keeping till his children are gone from his home. He was on the rifle team when in the military and has won many awards. None of my family has ever had an Accidental Discharge.
    Blaming someone else or the gun for poor gun handling or the manufacturer for an accident is unacceptable to me. A person has to "know" that any gun he or she is handling is safe and operating correctly. I have spent my whole adult life repairing defective firearms. Remington 700 rifles can be made to be "bet your life on it safe" along with "keep it pointed in a safe direction".
    In 1960 I was shot in the guts by a guy that thought the gun was not loaded. Surprise!!!
    If the truth hurts, history might not repeat itself!

Life is good
    Last edited by looseprojectile; 10-30-2010 at 06:13 PM.

In Remembrance

Lonerider

Have you lost my email address?
    Montana has a lot of dirt and Big Sky to point a gun at when unloading it. No need to endanger a horse trailer. With or without an occupant.
    Ms. Barber said that she is sure that her finger was not on the trigger.
    She is probably just as sure as those women that have testified against their rapist that were convicted and later found to be innocent. Lots of that kind of thing happens. "Vengeance is mine", said the Lord.
    JUSTICE is gonna cost ya.

Life is good

Boolit Master
    I'm going to stick my size 12 in my mouth and comment on this one.
    I'm appaulled by gun handling I see out in the field, gun ranges, shotgun, longgun and handgun, all three. I'm 44 have no kids, but do have a 16 year old (pretty much fatherless) nephew who I'm mentoring. Drilled through his head everytime he picks a firearm up is it is a killing machine, plain and simple and even though it is a phrase not liked here by many, a weapon. Yes we have fun with them, target shoot with them, and some see them as benign machinery, but they are still the most efficient killing machine us humans have invented and should be treated as such.
    Myself I did have a rifle go off once, thank God it was pointed into the side of a mountain (yes, it was a 700, and it was my fault, I had gloves on and simply had some cloth caught in the trigger and didn't realize it). It frankly scared the hell out of me, maybe was one of the best things that ever happened in that regard, never, nevernevernevernevernevernevernever ever trust a safety, or your fingers, or anything else when you have a weapon armed, not ever.
    My nephew gets it, I've told him stories, and scared him. He keeps the damn muzzle pointed wherever it won't kill anything and always we hunt with bolt down on an empty chamber with the trigger pulled at the ground when we load the magazines up, when and if game is spotted then a round will enter the chamber, and not until then. Like I said safety first.
    And the rifles are unloaded well before we reach the truck or whatever we have come in on, walk into camp, or wherever with the bolts open, always.
    This certainly is a sad case, no doubt, this person involved in this must be living the worst kind of hell, and I certainly have sympathy for the family.
    However if Remington has anymore of a problem than any other rifle manufacture of rifles out there (I have my doubts and have more 700's than any other rifles put together, and yes triggers all adjusted properly) then it should be dealt with on a fact finding basis, not a sob story tactic that the press and modern courts seem to replace investigating with these days.

Boolit Bub
    i am kinda suprised by loneriders statement , there is no arguing the point that if the rifle had been handled safely this would have not happened its that simple , people who can not take responsability for their actions make me very angery , now with that bein said this isnt calguns lonerider you wont be banned from here for saying what you feel unless its wildly inapropreate

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm going to agree, safe gun handling is the only solution. I will shoot with few people, and even fewer will I hunt with. I have kicked people off of our ranges for doing stupid things. They don't like it, but I don't like having guns pointed at myself, or others. I will not let their hurt feelings stand in the way of not letting some innocent person being shot by their carelessness. If you shoot some one by a careless action, you screwed up, and you need to suffer the consequences.
    We have the full story. Someone was shot by someone who didn't care, or pay attention to what what they are doing.
    The only problem with Remington triggers, is when some one who doesn't have any idea of their proper function, tries to "fix" them. Recipe for a major screw up. Somethings, you need to leave to a professional, who understands engineering aspect of a mechanism.
    Last edited by waksupi; 11-15-2010 at 02:14 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Lonerider
    Have not revisited this thread to see your post. No PM necessary. My position is unchanged. Nothing to do with being insensitive or in your words "perfect" This sir was a preventable situation that was brought about by not using safe firearms handling. It makes no difference what other circumstances you know about this situation. It was pointing a firearm in a direction that obviously not safe. This is a tragic situation but not inexcusable. If it had been someone else holding the firearm when it went off, I'm guessing there would have been a law suit and I'll bet involuntary manslaughter would be mentioned. It looks like you may be to close to this situation to be objective. If you don't think this was preventable then I think you may want to reassess your position on safe firearms handling.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor