Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Dogsitting. Any tips?

Boolit Master

Dogsitting. Any tips?

My dad is in the hospital for an unknown length of time due to a badly infected foot. He has a bird dog named Norm that I had to take in while dad is in the hospital.

Norm is pretty emotionally damaged due to being kept in an indoor/outdoor kennel and ignored for hours at a time. My dad is a bit of a jerk and has abused Norm physically and verbally. Norm is a sweet dog but a high energy English Setter. Everyone close to my dad has advised him to let someone else adopt Norm. My dad is a stroke recovery patient with horrible balance and Norm likes to jump up on people, which is why my dad has isolated him.

So, I have Norm at my place until dad is out of the hospital.

Fortunately, I love dogs and am incredibly kind and patient. I also lost my beloved best friend in June and still have the doggie door, fenced in yard, and leashes/dog bed/toys.

But, I am paranoid of pet damage. I dragged out the couch cover and put it back on my living room couch. My dad claims Norm only gets into the garbage, so that was addressed.

I took the night off to stay home and help Norm acclimate and observe him.

He is afraid of steps, the doggie door, and is concentrating on the rawhide toy I got him.

He will use the doggie door if I coax him through it. I'm just worried that if I leave him home alone while I'm gone for ten hours at work, he will either not use the doggie door and have an accident, or will have some sort of breakdown and chew up my furniture or other valuables.

I brought his kennel with me, but it is too small and I can't leave him in it for ten hours at a time.

Any ideas on what to do? I can't leave him outside as I don't have a doghouse and it is the middle of winter.

He seems very happy for the time being...

Attachment 294136
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    well when I take care of my neighbors dogs when she goes out of town. I put them out on chains outside where they have dog houses, food and water bowls filled in the morning. then just before sunset take them in the house and give then a few treats and milk bones and a big tub of water. one is a German shepherd the other a blue tick hound. they are happy every day but not as happy as when miss Tina returns home.

Boolit Master
    PM sent

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Feed him.
    Give him water.
    Let him out to pee.
    Pet him.

Things will be o.k.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sounds like you may be getting a new friend for good. Always be calm around him. If he is used to living in a house, you probably won’t have any problems. If not, be careful. You may have to keep him in your kitchen or garage so things don’t get damaged. Keeping his kennel around with the door open so he can sleep in it if he wants, is sometimes a good idea.

Boolit Master

Treats,lots of treats take him out before you leave him for the day be sure he is settled in after his walk then check on him as soon as possible,maybe lunch time,it will only take a day or two for him to get used to his new home. you might want to work with him after you get home each day try stacking him (a pointer stance) Sometimes they just need a job.
    Any place you can let him run to burn energy ? Good Luck.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus
    You might be able to set up a child gate in a doorway so that you have him confined to a specific room. He will probably be fine, but you both need to be able to trust each other.

Boolit Master
    kindness and patience, you would'nt banish a child for drawing on your new vehicle with a screwdriver, It's going to be a growing /learning curve for both of you and there's going to be good things and bad. One of the many dogs we've had turned my wife full length (brand new) coat into a waist length in the closet for her to discover. Another ate all but the soles off my unboxed new work boots and about 5 inches off the wood kitchen table leg while I cut the lawn, he kept attacking the mower deck discharge so I put him in for his own safety. There're like kids they just do things for no appearent reason!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I takes a dog at least a month to adjust to a new situation.
    Best things I have found to keep a dog calm in a house, is to cut a piece of maple, cherry, apple, some type of sweet wood, about 2" in diameter, a foot or so long. They seem to like to chew the sweet wood over anything else. Plan on cutting a new one every couple weeks. No need to take the bark off, they take care of that.
    Second thing is, when out of the house, leave a radio playing, talk radio seems to work well. Let them think they aren't alone.
    Although the dog is an outdoor type, they can be converted to a house dog, but it takes time. My old Chesapeake was a rescue from a situation much like yours. It took being together 24/7 for a couple months, and she would then do anything I asked of her. The bonding time is very important.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Patience and love. Accidents will happen, you could try getting one of those fake grass pee pads for pets and slowly wean him off it over time and as he gets used to the doggy door. I think you need to step in and keep the dog from the sounds of it... no dog should have to put up with abuse/neglect.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are a good man.

I do not know how to train dogs, so cannot offer advice. It would be ideal to have the dog stay with a family member or friend who does not work.

Maybe not a popular option, but why not a kennel for a few weeks?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

All went well. No accidents or damage. Norm was deathly afraid of the clear plastic flap on the doggie door, so for me to go to work for 10 hours, I could either hope he didn't have any accidents, or, just remove the flap and have a large hole in the back door.

Removed the flap. Got home and the kitchen and laundry room were cold, but Norm was happy and no accidents.

I really feel sorry for Norm; he's cooped up for 23 out of 24 hours in a small outdoor enclosure with a large interior kennel attached. My dad yells at him and rarely gives him any affection.

I just really, really don't want a dog right now. Especially a high-energy bird dog.

He stayed three days and was returned to my father, who is now on outpatient status. They saved his foot, but he has to go back to the doc twice a week to have dressings replaced.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    If I lived closer I’d adopt him!