WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 or 308?

30-06 or 308?

I'm really torn between getting a 30-06 or a 308 for my next rifle. Can anybody tell me some pros and cons of both?
    Dean

.30-06 is friendlier with long bullets (>180 grains) and requires a longer action.
    .308 uses less powder for the same velocity.
    Do what I did and get one of each.

Boolit Master
    30/06 = long neck = works well with many designs
    308 = short neck = fewer designs to fit short neck

Boolit Grand Master
    Tough call. They are very similar. Performance will differ more from bullet construction than case design. There certainly are differences in the cases and each has advantages as noted above. I took a .308 to Africa (the only rifle I took) and everything fell to a single shot. DRT kind of fell. ..........and I shot some big animals! Kudu, warthog, impala, blesbok, gemsbuck.........they all fell hard and didn't require a Coup d'Grace. Either is a good choice. Might depend more on the platform available. Also, both were standard military so supply for both will be good for a long time. I'll tell you, those South Africans really love the .30-06.

Super Moderator

..............I'm partial to the 30-'06 for a couple reasons that have nothing to do with the comparison to the 308. It was my first centerfire cartridge, it's full of history and covered in glory. Other then that it's VERY common and it's the cartridge any fullpower centerfire is compared to.

With jacketed bullets and handloading, the 30-'06 only bests the 308 (in velocity) with slugs heavier then 172grs. Up to that point MEANINGFULL velocity is a dead heat. The 308 has proven itself to be more accurate then the old -'06, and that's probably due to the shorter powder column, and maybe even the shorter neck.

No help, huh? Flip a coin and pick one! One thing I WILL say is that everyone should own at least one 30-'06. If you don't own one, now is your chance.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

If you don't already own a good 30/06...Now is the time! The "06" will work with any .30 bullet, or boolit from 100gr all the way to 250gr, and give satisfactory results. The .308 is a little limited to 100gr to 180gr, but I have several guns in both calibers...The "06" usually wins out. I would buy the "06" first, (in standard rifle form) then save for the .308, (light weight). Sound like a plan?

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    All the above is TRUE. I would NOT trade any of my 06īs for a 308. I have Both calibers in various action types.
    BUT here in Peru if you have a 30-06 you are flat up the creek. There is NO ammo. I live in the 2nd largest city in Peru (1.5 million) 308 is everywhere. So here I have a 308 ONLY. It would be interesting to hear from other World Wide Members what their country is like.
    God Bless you this Year !

Smile Post #1000 missionary5155

CONGRATS!
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Banned

If you are looking for the the upmost in accuracy id recomend a 308 if its power your looking for and the gun will mostly be a hunting gun get an o6. there plenty accurate and hit harder and shoot flatter.

Have both but if only one

I would go with .308. When this war is over maybe surplus ammo ( I bought loaded ammmo for .10 per round prior to 2003) and components will be available cheap again. Short action. Sniper guns. Several current military platforms available. Other than brown bear will be enough for any creature on this continent. just my .02

30/06 becouse it can shoot heavyer boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanoBeanCounter View Post
    I'm really torn between getting a 30-06 or a 308 for my next rifle. Can anybody tell me some pros and cons of both?
    Dean
    like most questions posted here, not enough info in the question.

tell us what you expect from the rifle, is it a field rifle, or a bench ? accuracy required.....moa or modeer ?

if hunting what animals ?

lots of info needed for better answers...

and i own both.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Moderator Emeritus

AIRC you have a 300 Mag but i don't remember if it is a Weatherby or a Winchester. I would go with the 308 if you have kept the mag, '06 if you sold it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    For practical use, the 308. Both are basically the same till you hit 800 yards. If you're going to hunt things that bite, scratch and claw, then go with the 06.

Boolit Grand Master

Given equal barrel lengths and when loaded to the same pressures with appropriate powders for each case the '06 will always best the .308W by 150-200 fps. The reason is simple; more case capacity. Many say the 30-30 is equal to the .300 Savage, the .300 Savage is equal to the .308W, the .308W is equal to the '06, the '06 is equal to the .300 H&H and the .300 H&H is equal to the .300 W Magnum. However it just isn't so. When loaded to equal pressure the larger case will always win hands down.

DeanoBeanCounter

I'm assuming you're talking modern bolt action rifles and hunting with J bullets? If so then if the action length you're getting is chambered in both cartridges then get the '06 to utilise the action length and additional power of the larger cartridge. Some will tell you there is no difference and most often there is not whan hunting deer, elk, antilpoe or such at normal hunting ranges. However, the '06 allows a much versatility with the heavier end of bullets up through 220s and even 250 gr bullets.

If you are looking at getting a medium length action that is made for .308W length cartridges then the .308W is the way to go. It will suffice for upwards of 80% of deer, elk, antilope and such big game hunting. As reported on this thread it is also successfull on African plains game under the right conditions. Advantage here is a slightly lighter rifle with a shorter bolt thrown. How much of an advantage that is, if any, is up to you.

My first bolt action big game rifle was a .308W back in '68. It served me well and I used it on everything from varmints up through an elk. I also used several other .308s and a couple other cartridges. Then I had 2 sporter '06s go through my hands and hunted a bit with them. I quickly realised the advantage a properly loaded '06 has over a properly loaded .308W. In '81 the '06 became my primary choice for big game hunting. I have killed deer, elk, antelope, Rocky Mtn BH sheep, caribou, a couple bears and numerous varmints with the '06 since then. While I wouldn't feel undergunned with a .308W ( I have 4 of them that are suitable for hunting) I always pick one of the three '06 sporters I have for most of my big game hunting.

Now, if you are talking about a factory bolt action rifle for shooting cast bullets; get a .308W with a 12" twist.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The .308 has all the case capacity necessary to drive a boolit to any velocity you may wish for.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had a number of rifles in both calibers, and I like both--but for different things. I think the 308 makes a potentially better target rifle than does the 30-06, all things being equal--cast or jacketed. This is a very narrow advantage, though--mostly involving cost to operate over time (powder consumption), and at least a perceived accuracy advantage between the two. That last bit is arguable, I think.

For a hunting rifle, the ability to better drive the heavier bullets to higher velocty gives the 30-06 a slight advantage if (as 45-2.1 mentioned) nasty critters are likely to be quarry--or might try making you into quarry--or both. Given that the '06 (or the 308, for that matter) give you 5 rounds in the magazine in place of the belted magnum bolters' usual capacity of 3 cartridges, it seems to me that the 30-06 loaded full up with Nosler Partitions of 180 or 200 grains weight makes a formidable and very capable game-taking or nasty-critter-stopping device. This "2 more rounds" rationale pushed me in the direction of the 35 Whelen/9.3 x 62 Mauser over the 338 Win Mag for my "nasty critter rifle". That the CZ-550 is a SUPERB cast boolit rifle only sweetens the package. A LOT.

For most of the country (USA) and its whitetail hunters, either one will work very well. The 308 or the 30-06 with good 150 grain bullets will make venison very capably to any range a hunter has any business making a shot on a fine game animal. I currently do not have a 308 in the gun safe, but have never been without a 30-06 since my early teens. Maybe that says it all for me--'cause a scoped '06, an iron-sighted 30-30, an iron-sighted 22 LR, and a slide action 12 gauge have ALWAYS been around for as long as I've been hunting. The rest of the gun safe's contents are largely just toys--but these 4 specific TOOLS are well-nigh indispensable.

OK--add the S&W M-686 x 4" and M-617 x 6" to the Tools Inventory.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

The beauty of the .308 is that it is a short cartridge and will work in actions OTHER THAN bolt better than a 30-06 will work in a bolt action. If going bolt action you do not use this beauty part and there is no reason to not get 30-06 that I can see. Non bolt---.308. Bolt action---30-06.

Thumbs up

I knew I would get a lot of information from this forum. Thank you all. The reason I asked the question is that I need something between 22 rim fire and 300 win mag. I'm thinking sports, not military. Mostly all around.
    I have a old 100+ year old Marlin 30-30 but that is so wore out it is dangerous to shoot. I got it from my dad so that should tell you it'll never leave my possession. I'll get it fixed some day.
    There are good points both ways. I might still end up flipping a coin when it comes time to buy. But you all have given me some things to consider. I don't know which smilie to put here so you pick your own.
    Dean
    PS keep those cards and letters coming folks.

I couldn't see either one if you intend to keep using the .300 Mag, since you can easily load it down to those levels. I know that sensible, logical decisions where guns are concerned don't happen, sometimes you just want to buy something. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at something in 6.5mm, .270, or 7mm, they are better gap-filling choices.