Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age of poison ivy

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Roundup will not kill poison ivy. It will burn down what you spray, but will come back from the roots. Use triclopiyr (generic) or Remedy (brand) .
    Roundup poison ivy contains triclopiyr.
    Thank you. That explains why I can knock it down to only have it come back.
    I grew up on a farm, was a park ranger for three years and never got the itch. Fast forward a decade and I catch it in my back yard.

Boolit Master
    I actually caught some yesterday in the yard. I hit the spots with bleach and it is gone today.
    Vile weed and I am its nemesis.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy

I always had it as a kid until Mom decided to keep milk goats. The goats loved to eat the vines. It was impossible to keep them away from it.

Late that summer I was playing hide & seek after dark. A few of us hid in tall grass that concealed a patch of poison ivy. The next day my friends were covered from head to toe. I had nothing. Apparently drinking the goat's milk gave me immunity. It was 25 years after we got rid of the goats before I caught it again.

Supposedly Native Americans would eat the leaves when they first come out in Spring. Three leaves a day for three weeks. The dose increases as the leaves get bigger.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    I actually caught some yesterday in the yard. I hit the spots with bleach and it is gone today.
    Vile weed and I am its nemesis.
    Same here, If I'm cutting wood or other things wood associated I keep a tube of Clorox wipes in the truck just to clean any sap off the arms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    + 3, Never burn it and stand down wind
    The same is true with poison oak here on the West Coast. The fumes of forest fires in poison oak country are very toxic. They can cause a reaction hundreds of miles away.

Boolit Master
    Knock on wood ..... I have never had it

see it often at the gun club on the berms

if the grass is turning brown (heat of the summer) whats green on the berms is leaves of 3 .. poison ivy.. so stay out of the tall grass

I have heard that washing the sap off of you skin with brake cleaner works...
    but have never tried it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    The same is true with poison oak here on the West Coast. The fumes of forest fires in poison oak country are very toxic. They can cause a reaction hundreds of miles away.
    This is the bad one here,It will kill you Nerium oleander.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Knock on wood ..... I have never had it

see it often at the gun club on the berms

if the grass is turning brown (heat of the summer) whats green on the berms is leaves of 3 .. poison ivy.. so stay out of the tall grass

I have heard that washing the sap off of you skin with brake cleaner works...
    but have never tried it
    Stick with clorox if you can.

TechNu and Ivarest (sp?) neutralize the oil at fault. They are found at the pharmacy.

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I know the sap from the vines is many, many more times potent than the sap from the leaves. I hate it with a passion , it seems like every time I get it, it is worse than the time before .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Until I was 30 or so, I never used to get it either. Now it's pretty bad if I come in contact with the bruised/torn up vegetation when cutting trees and brush. I carry a machete on my walks in the woods just to be able to chop through such vines as opportunity presents. I second what FarmerJim and others said about using trichlopyr. The active ingredient in Garlon 4 or Garlon 4 Ultra (and there are other cheaper sources) is trichlopyr and I applied it mixed with basal oil (alyphatic hydrocarbons, basically vegetable oil with Dawn dish detergent), which is much cheaper than spraying all that foliage. Low-pressure spraying all around 18"-24" of the stem/trunk close to the ground will get it through the bark and into the living cambium layers and send it to the roots and the foliage at the same time. Works great on woody plants including Asian Honeysuckle bushes and Autumn Olive, both of which are taking over the Midwest. It's not an instant killer, but it kills the wholes plant, usually in about ten days. Works great on fresh-cut stems too when working with one guy cutting them off and another squirting the trunk.

Boolit Master
    We all have the remedy at reach according to one of cou-zans, He carries a lead wheel weight with him, When he catches a bit of poison, oak, Ivey or sumac
    he rubs the lead wheel weight all over the affected area.
    Claims he got that remedy from an old timer and it works !
    Myself, I stick with the Clorox wipes.

Boolit Master
    Read a book on the Natchez trace. The ones surveying it were not immune at all. Got hit with it even while riding horse back. To them that was the worst aspect of laying out the Trace.

I had 1 1/2 to 2" vines or trees of it in my front enclosed yard here in the delta. I am not totally immune, but have spent more that my share of time in the woods and swamps. Had it on my knee once after creek fishing when I was about 14, and my earlobe once when putting up political signs when I was about 27, but it did not spread either time.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A lot of allergies get worse the more exposure you have to them. You don’t build up a resistance the way many people think. My mother always swore she wasn’t allergic, but one day when she was in her fifties, weeding her flower garden, she got it so bad she needed medical attention.

Boolit Master

I got into some cutting down a tree and believing I was immune. I wasn't. I discovered that drywall mud soothed the itching / burning pretty good. It is messy but it did help. When I was first married my bride was helping me trim some bushes for a friend. On their fence was a nice little Poison Ivy sprig and I said " watch out, That is poison Ivy" . My bride said " No it isn't ." and proceeded to rub some on her arm. It was Poison Ivy, definitely . We had a dog that liked to sleep on my wifes pillow when we weren't watching him. I was out weedwacking and the dog was with me rolling in this and that. The next day my wife was a miserable person. Doggie was watched much more closely after that.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE