WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Can I use a Dillon Powder measure on a single stage press?

I'm A Honcho!

Can I use a Dillon Powder measure on a single stage press?

Greeting gents,

Can I use a Dillon Powder measure on a single stage press? Don’t want the rest of the setup. Just want the case flaring powder dispensing.

Bluejay
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Moderator Emeritus
    Sure. There are two styles of powder measures. You would want the old style that has a spring to return the measure.

Boolit Master

might look at the hornady, they would do what you want and are more stable with the weight of throws.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Sure, why not? Trying new things is the life blood of our hobby!

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Sure. There are two styles of powder measures. You would want the old style that has a spring to return the measure.
    Can you put a link to the one you’re referring to please.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

The old style referred to was used on the 450 press. A word of caution, I dont think Dillon has any parts for the old style. There is a large and small powder slide so try to get both slides for more rage of powder throws. The old style is not case activated. It is manually operated when the ram is up.
    Also the new style has to be "reset" by the Dillon press.

Boolit Grand Master

Per Dillon the dual return springs are the old style and the lock link bellcrank is the new system. I run them both ways but I find better accuracy with the old style so most of my measures have been converted back to the old style. I am running them on 650's or 1050's with a powder check die. Pics of both in the link above.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/old-...350_14_112.htm

OLD STYLE POWDER MEASURE
    January 19th, 2008 at 8:35pm
    Does Dillon still offer conversion kits to upgrade the old style powder measure, with the dual return springs, to the newer lock link bellcrank system?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

There are actually 3 generations of linkage. The first one used two springs to return the bar. The 2nd worked the same but had a fail safe rod that would pull the measure down if the springs didn't return it, preventing the possibility for squib loads. The 3rd one has no springs and a lockout on the crank so a partial stroke cannot produce double charges, like is possible with the spring return ones, as the bar is not reset until the ram moves low enough to have indexed the shell plate.

Photos of all 3 in #117 of this thread.
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-11100676

With a twisty or zip tie and springs or even rubber bands one could use even the 3rd gen linkage on a SS without a fail safe rod.

Moderator Emeritus
    The old style I referred to is the one with the springs and no fail safe. The only place you will find one is used since Dillon doesn’t make that style any more. Every time you raise the press ram with a shell in place, it will dump a charge of powder.

There was a manual version on the 450 as was mentioned and is not what I referenced. I don’t know if it can be converted to case activated. The Hornady measure gets good reviews also.

Attachment 260749Attachment 260747
    I have used a Dillon 450 measure but have upgraded to 550s on my Lyman T2s, they work great. Dillons are very consistent. But why mount it on your single stage press. Find a 450, lyman or whatever, mount it on a stand, bolt or clamp it to your bench and use an expander die in your press. Expand, throw your powder and set the case in a block. Doing what you’re thinking you still wind up with an expanded and powder loaded case but then you’ve got to deal with a measure full of powder that will need to be mty’d or put in some kind of stand or holder. Mty’ing hoppers are a big pita to me. Here’s one of the stands that I built.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-20-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Yes you can you just have to set it up correctly. Thread already produced several ways to "skin the cat".
    regards,

I'm A Honcho!

That's the failsafe & lock out linkage the previous two as well as that one can be seen in the link I posted above, in #9.

They could all be made to work on a SS though.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Is this the one?

Powder Measure
    Yes...that is the correct powder measure.

Here is the return spring that your gonna need also (stock # 14036). Your going to need 2 return springs. The 2 springs will guarantee the linkage returns to it's home position. The linkage on the side of the powder measure can be bolted together by using a bolt and a nut. I used blue loctite to ensure they don't loosen up and come apart. I'll attach a picture to show you how I have mine setup on my Redding T-7 Turret Press.
    Old style powder bar return spring stock # 14036

As a side note, the powder funnel does not come with the powder measure. You will have to order one from Dillon Precision.
    Powder Funnels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails redding press3.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Yes you can. The older measures wit the 2 springs will work better but you still need to watch the powder slide bar to make sure it fully returns.