RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tempted to purchase

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess some people enjoy having their teeth drilled when buying used firearms. I am not among them. In a retail shop, an item needs to have a price marked plainly. When an item at a shop or gun show has no price marked, I assume "going in" that I am about to get bent over--though I have gotten a few surprises over the years. Caveat emptor--semper!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

You are letting someone else ruin your day. Like when driving, you can't control what the idiot in the other car is doing. I try to not let others dictate my day. I said try...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    You are letting someone else ruin your day. Like when driving, you can't control what the idiot in the other car is doing. I try to not let others dictate my day. I said try...
    You're absolutely correct.

Boolit Master
    We used to go round and round on pricing of a particular firearm among each other on these type forums due to regional pricing variations, etc. Nowadays the Internet has changed most all of that. What I see locally is pretty much what I see on Gunbroker - perhaps minus the transfer fees and shipping. On the 'net and locally there are a lot of used police trade model 10s for $350-375. Maybe that price was a little high but it must be worth all of $450-475. As has been mentioned pristine S&Ws from the last century are not all that common. How bad do you want it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    We used to go round and round on pricing of a particular firearm among each other on these type forums due to regional pricing variations, etc. Nowadays the Internet has changed most all of that. What I see locally is pretty much what I see on Gunbroker - perhaps minus the transfer fees and shipping. On the 'net and locally there are a lot of used police trade model 10s for $350-375. Maybe that price was a little high but it must be worth all of $450-475. As has been mentioned pristine S&Ws from the last century are not all that common. How bad do you want it?
    It's not about the price or the gun.

It's that I became frustrated after the first failed negotiation and didn't even make a second attempt. I'm mad at myself.

I negotiated on the first gun (a Ruger) and felt the seller wasn't even trying to be reasonable. We got within $40 and they were just playing games (let me go ask the boss and he would walk to the back of the store). I let the child like actions of another make me mad.
    It was a lack of self control on my part.

Now, as for the price itself - There wasn't anything special about that Model 10 other than the fact that it appeared to be in excellent condition. It was a 4", blued steel, K-frame with fixed sights. Smith & Wesson made a bazillon of them - it's not even remotely rare. With a reasonable seller we could have reached an agreement that we could both live with but I was so annoyed with that child by that time that I wasn't even going to attempt to reach a deal. And I don't need another 38 Special K-frame.

Mr. Wolf was correct, I let someone else ruin my day.

Boolit Master
    I will pay a fair price, won't stand there trying to talk them down or sweeten the deal.

But yes one does wonder how some places stay open. Someone I knew worked at a gun range, probably why it stayed open. Was not gun sales. He would go weeks and not sell a single gun, it was the jacked up prices. As if 'suggested retail' is what you can actually going to work. Even his employee discount would not bring gun into reasonable price range. Pretty bad when a guy at a gun shop shops at another one when they are looking for a gun.

Then he moved to a different place, not much different. Used guns for new prices, so sat in racks forever. Holding out for that one sucker with lots of cash and no brains. He had a S&W M&P compact I was interested in, but not for what he wanted. Had been in the case over a year, and was still there 2 years after I offered to buy it. But was the same shop who gave $250 trade on a bubbaed Mosin, just waiting on some chump. 6 mo later sold it to me for $50.

Im fortunate shop me has very fair prices and always treats you fair, why I buy so much from them, so they will stay open.

Boolit Master
    I still remember a gun show in Little Rock about 25 years ago. A buddy and I were talking to a dealer at his table, and kind of idly looking at his revolvers; all used with price tags on them. Neither of us had made an offer.

This young fellow walks up to the table, looked at a particular Smith and its tag; told the dealer he'd take it. He did not do any negotiating; just handed the dealer the cash money. We were all in a state of shock.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I don't need another 38 Special K-frame.
    Well, that about says it all... I do understand your point though: this was not a battle with the dealer but rather in your own mind - I've been there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Well, that about says it all... I do understand your point though: this was not a battle with the dealer but rather in your own mind - I've been there.
    yep, pretty much

Super Moderator

Don't argue with yourself, you'll never win...lol