Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can Catholics eat bacon ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmalder View Post
    I see no one wants to do some deep soul searching and question am I following what God wants or am I following man. God bless!
    To be blunt it was a somewhat stupid question. A simple Google or a visit to www.catholic.com would have revealed the answer in less than say 3 minutes. The topic was posed for several possible reasons on of which was to inflame catholics or prior catholics by camparing them to Muslims in that Muslims cannot eat bacon or pork products. It has absolutely nothing to do with following God or following man.

This thread should have been closed at post number 2 but then again it would seem that who you are plays a part as to the thread staying open or getting closed once again. This thread is offensive in my opinion and certainly out of place the the "Chapel" portion of the forum. It belongs in the pit and should be moved there if moderators do their job instead of playing favorites.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I questioned this thread. Then I realized it is doing what we want chapel to be. Everyone realizing in spite of different churches it is Jesus we all Worship. Not the trappings or dogmas but the Lord Jesus Christ you all have showed that except for a couple I closed.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Agreed Jim , there are many here that understand the common bond in our faith in GOD.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    As far as us of faith ..all we have to fear is ourselves .

I put this thread up that we might learn something about one another . Looks like we could love our neighbor that much .
    I'm with you, Brother. I really did enjoy this thread! Mostly I thought it humorous, with a few of us taking it much too seriously. GO BACON!

Boolit Master

You do know that Israel was under the thumb of Roman rule at the time right. I guarantee you no Hebrew was allowed to raise pigs while any of the Sanhedrin was in place. Also wild boars are pretty rampant in Israel.
    The point was that pigs seemed pretty domesticated based on that passage.

So how do we get past Matthew 5:17. "I did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets but to fulfill it."
    Fulfill means to bring to completion. So he outlaws certain foods only so later to fulfill his law he allows it. Very contradictory

I propose His written laws are still valid! It's the oral law of the Pharisees that were to be done away with. Those laws in the Talmud are of higher order then the laws in the Old Testament according to Rabbis(who are the present day Pharisees).

As God cried out "Come out of her!"(Babylon)

Boolit Master

I propose His written laws are still valid! It's the oral law of the Pharisees that were to be done away with. Those laws in the Talmud are of higher order then the laws in the Old Testament according to Rabbis(who are the present day Pharisees).
    The Law was done away with in its entirety. People living under the New Covenant are not circumcised (see Galatians) nor do we offer animal sacrifices in the Temple (see Hebrews), etc.

The spirit of the Law was to put God first and love other people. Christians follow this command as a result of being joined with Christ not a prerequisite for salvation. The Law was a list of requirements to be acceptable to God and was not satisfied by anyone except Jesus. That is why it was done away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The Law was done away with in its entirety. People living under the New Covenant are not circumcised (see Galatians) nor do we offer animal sacrifices in the Temple (see Hebrews), etc.

The spirit of the Law was to put God first and love other people. Christians follow this command as a result of being joined with Christ not a prerequisite for salvation. The Law was a list of requirements to be acceptable to God and was not satisfied by anyone except Jesus. That is why it was done away with.
    Being that you are in Shawnee it would be neat if you could join me at the Feast of Tabernacles in Chandler next year.

Banned
    You do know that Israel was under the thumb of Roman rule at the time right. I guarantee you no Hebrew was allowed to raise pigs while any of the Sanhedrin was in place. Also wild boars are pretty rampant in Israel.
    There's some rampant wild bores here too.

Boolit Master
    I'm Catholic and I perceived no intent to flame or inflame. The OP said it well, that it's about fellowship, discussion and comparing notes, and no harm done if there's a little humor in it. There's always something to learn or a fresh way of looking at old unquestioned beliefs long taken for granted. If I can't get to know how someone else looks at things, how will I know them? Some of the most incomprehensible things begin to make sense when I get to know who someone is.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Yes, although not on Fridays during Lent when all "meat" is forbidden. The definition of meat is as odd as a congressional district map. The Belgians or Dutch convinced a pope to rule that muskrat and beaver did not count as meat since they came from the water like fish, for example.
    I thought that originated with Acadians because étouffée coypou (nutria stew) be "kosher" in Louisiana!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Yeahbub #90 You have summarized the whole point of this thread. It's not about hogs, it get to know you or as they say in Kentucky, gotta look you over rite smart To know you and love you as a brother in Christ.

Yep ! Nothing to do with hogs , just fellowship . What about you Methodists ....Ya'll eat bacon ?

Boolit Buddy
    Us United Methodists will tear some bacon up!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Thank you sir ! That is good news !

Banned
    I'll bet there are some Jews that would like to tear up some bacon. There are Muslims that won't touch it or any pork for that matter. I say lets force feed them pork and make true believers out of them. Hey! let them also share in your fellowship.

Banned
    So the tale goes, a rabbi and a priest happened to be sitting opposite each other in a train. Discussion, as you might expect, turned to religion, and eventually got around to personal experiences. The priest eventually asks the rabbi, "You're not allowed to eat pork are you." The rabbi confirms this. The priest then asks the rabbi if he has ever eaten a bacon sandwich. The rabbit confesses he has, and the priest asks "did you enjoy it?" The rabbi rather shamefacedly admits he did. The rabbi then asks the priest if he has ever slept with a woman in spite of being prohibited to do so by his calling, and the priest, rather shamefacedly, admit he has. "And did you enjoy it?" asked the rabbi. "I certainly did." replied the priest. The rabbi then said "Beats the hell out of bacon, don't it."

Boolit Master

WOW I am frequently amazed by the discussions I see here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    So the tale goes, a rabbi and a priest happened to be sitting opposite each other in a train. Discussion, as you might expect, turned to religion, and eventually got around to personal experiences. The priest eventually asks the rabbi, "You're not allowed to eat pork are you." The rabbi confirms this. The priest then asks the rabbi if he has ever eaten a bacon sandwich. The rabbit confesses he has, and the priest asks "did you enjoy it?" The rabbi rather shamefacedly admits he did. The rabbi then asks the priest if he has ever slept with a woman in spite of being prohibited to do so by his calling, and the priest, rather shamefacedly, admit he has. "And did you enjoy it?" asked the rabbi. "I certainly did." replied the priest. The rabbi then said "Beats the hell out of bacon, don't it."
    That of course would depend on your age and what kind of bacon we are talking about. Really good bacon is hard to beat.

Only if its cooked good & crispy.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"