Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote

I keep finding a male on the privacy wall in the early mornings...I don't think the neighbors who have lost their small dogs would complain, but, I don't think the neighbor across the wall would be thrilled with a .38 round smacking into their house...
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Those other two coyotes will never come back.

In general with coyote it is a one shot deal.
    Same with Wolves, miss an opportunity once with a wolf and you might as well move on, you just made one of the smartest animals on the planet that much smarter!

IIRC, wolves are off the list now.
    Whatever!

The 'dying rabbit' is hard to beat,
    that's sumpin they all like to eat.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

That's great work Rich.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Those Coyotes are damn smart in our area!!! soon the pups will be yelping and they are all a long shot!! they drive me nuts in the spring...25-35 is what I use ..........Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

For what stated that the coyote is a smart animal.Too many do not think they are.Like stated it take once and they learn fast.I tell some farmers around here that the reason that some people hate coyotes is because they do not like a animal that is smarter then them. Some will get pi'' off and some will get a kick out of it because they know it is true.I have caught some in my traps that someone had shot them with bird shot.I find it under there skin.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

The rabbits are making a come back around here maybe the yotes have gone else where.I haven't saw or heard any yotes in a pretty good while
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master
    In my area they are hunted with dogs. One hunting group has about 60 so far this year...taken in season.

But the accepted practice is to shoot them on sight anytime of the year. The first rule I learned when I moved here on retirement is the 3S rule. Stray dogs without a collar typically get the same treatment. Depending on the location, the Shovel part is optional.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

what a waste you didn't keep the pelt
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    some pelts are not worth keeping or putting up
    mange,rubbed out that sort of thing
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Where to take the pelts when you get one skinned? Need to be fleshed and salted or will some take them raw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

its winter so this time of year the pelts should be full.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Lived in and still work in Oldsmar FL. Coyotes walk the streets in the wee hours of the morning, in neighborhoods as well as main roads. It is very strange to drive by one that looks like it's taking a walk in the park without a care in the world.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master
    mange and breeding season is rough on winter pelts too
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

This one's fur looked pretty good, I just had a lot to do and didn't feel like messing with it. I started hunting them because I want them dead, the fun factor is secondary.

I managed to call in another a week or so later. Just showed up, maybe 25-30 yards away. Shot him, reloaded the shotgun and stayed put hoping another might be coming in. The one I shot fell below line of sight, but I was sure he was dead. A few minutes later I heard something moving through the leaves behind me and to my left so got ready but nothing. When I turned off the caller and went to get the coyote, I found a big, bloody mess where he had been standing, but no coyote. Managed to blood trail it for 50 yards or so until it petered out. I'm sure it was dead pretty shortly thereafter, but I didn't recover it.

Haven't called in a couple of weeks. Next week is Spring break so I should have more time. One thing I want to do is wait for the fawns to be born and try a fawn in distress call.

Boolit Master
    Here's a pic of the one I shot last fall. Picked up the tanned skin about 2 weeks ago. The camera didn't pick up the color correctly, what shows up as white is more of a golden color. This was a female, and weighed 27 lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170303_120059_resized.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	190479

Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    Where to take the pelts when you get one skinned? Need to be fleshed and salted or will some take them raw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you are selling the pelt you do not salt them. Check your area for a fur buyer. Some will buy them not skin some will buy them both ways skin and un skin. You like to put your skins up you do flesh them and put on boards to dry and then you will be able to market them better. I put up all my own furs and I get more for them. If there is any holes sew them. that way you will not get a lower price on them.When you sew up coyote skins it will not show much if you do it right and they will give you more for the skin.Other wise it will be class as damage. On other furs that I put up it will show if I sew it but do not get reduce bad on it since I sew the pelt.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    If you are selling the pelt you do not salt them. Check your area for a fur buyer. Some will buy them not skin some will buy them both ways skin and un skin. You like to put your skins up you do flesh them and put on boards to dry and then you will be able to market them better. I put up all my own furs and I get more for them. If there is any holes sew them. that way you will not get a lower price on them.When you sew up coyote skins it will not show much if you do it right and they will give you more for the skin.Other wise it will be class as damage. On other furs that I put up it will show if I sew it but do not get reduce bad on it since I sew the pelt.
    Thanks for the info!
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

you are welcome 1989toddm if to stop the pelt to rot in the hard to dry areas you use borax. You can get it in the store where you get your closes wash and dish wash powders.there is 20 mule borax or anything other brand will do.