Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the 35 Remington

Boolit Grand Master

Tell me about the 35 Remington

Had a dear friend of mine give me several hundred pieces of 35 Remington brass. I also have a Cabelas gift card with some money on it, so I picked up a set of dies. Now, my LGS has a used JM Marlin 336 in 35 Remington at a really good price since most want 30-30 around here.

What at can everyone tell me about their experience with the cartridge, ease of loading, accuracy potential, or anything of interest about the cartridge. I have a plethora of 357/38 moulds and can cast for everything up to 200gr.

Moderator Emeritus

Outstanding old cartridge that will haul the mail and put venison or black bear meat on the table........my 336 is a 1952 ballard rifling and is a tack driver for this type of round....would not trade or sell it!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Well it is the only Remington cartridge to survive to date, 25, 30, 32, 35 Remington! So that being said, it just works, like any 35 cal boolit! Mine is a pre-micro groove and that's not stay one micro'd ain't no good! My late Uncle enjoyed great success with his micro and RCBS 200 gr. GC! Killed a many of deer on Amos's stand in our neck of the woods in LA! That's Lower Arkansas for you city folks! You'll like her! Helps if they are a little on hard side!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Buddy

And buckwheatpaul I like how you quote the Gipper!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Great deer and bear cartridge. I used to have a Marlin and a TC Contender chambered for it. Sadly I sold them like an idiot. I liked 200gr Hornadys in mine. They were hard to find a few years ago, not sure about the current supply situation.

Boolit Grand Master
    Brass hard to find but if have several hundred you are good for a while. Great cartridge

Boolit Master
    Just about /any/ .35 caliber rifle cartridge is better than most any non-.35 caliber cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master
    My first 336CS (from 1987) in .35 Remington really liked a warmish load of H335 behind a Hornady 200 Gr RN. I haven't gotten to play around with cast in it or the 1950 vintage 336A yet.

They do have a bit more recoil than a .30-30, makes sense though, a heavier projectile at similar speeds from the same platform.

Robert

I have no idea where you might live and or what you plan to do with the 35 Remington. But as noted the 35 Remington just as the 358 Winchester and the 35 Whelen are all darn fine hunting rounds and can be very accurate to the point of surprise.

I will say right off the bat that even though this is a Cast Boolit forum Hornady makes a fine Levervolution round that is a 2OO Gr soft pointed bullet that I have yet to hear a bad thing about from its ability to shoot far flatter than other loads along with accuracy and very good game taking ability. But it is right around $30.00 per 20 rounds.

I have messed with it some for my old Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and I have to say read everything you can on the cartridge as the Marlins in 35 Remington have a very short if not almost none existent throat which means one has to be careful of the Overall length of the cartridge or to say they can be a bit picky on bullet design as to where the ogive is.

As for boolit selection and from what I remember the 35-200 mould is probably the best out there for the .35 Remington and the Marlin as far as cast boolits go.

I will say however that when one is full length sizing the 35 Remington case you have to be very careful as if you go to far down the case then it is very easy to crush it just enough for it not to chamber.

As for powders and jacketed rounds many swear by TAC powder. But as with many rifle cartridges that are in the .358 there are probably many powders that will work well.

Have fun and enjoy probably one of the best hunting cartridges around.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Moderator Emeritus

It works.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Brass hard to find but if have several hundred you are good for a while. Great cartridge
    GRUMPA makes beautiful 35 Rem. brass from .308 brass.....works smooth as butter.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I sure hope you bought the rifle, didn't you???
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Still on my to get list. Have the dies and some brass, just need to find the right Remington model 14 to go along with it.

Is that LGS near me? I'll be glad to go pick it up.

It's probably the best ctg or deer and black bear around long as your normal shots aren't past 150 yds , easy to load for with cast bullets even at full power jacketed speeds , lots of bullet options to pick from from light weight plinkers using a 125 gr up through 250 gr if the nose ain't too long , been using the 35 for deer for over 30 plus seasons never had to shot one twice .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    I was at the range several days ago with my 336, using some reloads using mixed factory and that of Grumpa. I really shooting that rifle as it is surprisingly accurate. The only game it has accounted for was a nice size hog taken several decades ago in S. Florida. Literally knocked him off his feet and he was DOA when he hit the ground.

Boolit Master
    Well, it pales in comparison to the 35 Krag, but once we have recognized that fact and lamented it, we can celebrate the good things of the 35 Remington: 1) it is chambered in a great rifle - the Marlin 336 2) it has less recoil than virtually any of the other 35 cal rifle rounds still going 3) it makes bigger entry holes in things than even the 338 Lapua Magnum 4) it is an economical 35 cal cartridge for which ammo is still made on occasion.

The 336 in 35 Rem makes a great 150 yard deer and black bear combo and a great hog slayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    My first 336CS (from 1987) in .35 Remington really liked a warmish load of H335 behind a Hornady 200 Gr RN. I haven't gotten to play around with cast in it or the 1950 vintage 336A yet.

They do have a bit more recoil than a .30-30, makes sense though, a heavier projectile at similar speeds from the same platform.

Robert
    That's what my Remington Model 81 liked. H335 and the Hornady 200 RN, when I wasn't shooting wheel weights.
    Sold it 'cause of the scope offset for a righthand shooter.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine likes long walks in the woods while being shot every now and then.

I'm a fan of the walks myself but the older I get the more I hate the walk out after a successful shot

35 Remington is a quintessential PA game cartridge. Hard to find families where no one shoots it. I find it fairly soft shooting. I'm not a fan of recoil and try to avoid it as much as possible. It has it's limitations but if you stay w/in them it will drop what you're after. I carry it during our concurrent deer/bear season. If it's just deer I prefer the lighter 1894C.

Boolit Mold
    Mine likes walks in the woods too....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3009.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	173657