MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Happened! I Shot My Chronograph

Boolit Master

Finally Happened! I Shot My Chronograph

Not really. I have the CED M2 and the electronics are on the bench. I was checking a variety of 9mm loads and was trying to finish before it started raining. I shot the support for the light diffuser(CED calls it a skyscreen). Boy! Was I shocked when pieces went flying. I've nicked them before but this is the first time for a direct hit. I was almost finished when it happened so I had enough data to work with.

Luckily, I prepared for this by buying spares. Now I'm down to three spares(a full set is four). I can't imagine the feeling if I had shot one of the sensors or if the base unit was located out in front. You can see what I'm talking about here:
    http://www.cedhk.com/shop/categories...6-Accessories/
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Well like crossfireing during a match, dropping a mould into molten lead,shooting the screes on a chronograph isnt a matter if if but when its going to happen. There are those who have and those about to. LOL. It happens and the thing to dop now is replace those spare parts before they are needed agion.

Boolit Bub
    Welcome to the club!

Boolit Master

Of all the abuse my chronograph has taken, and it's lots and lots, a pact 2 professional, it was a .177 pellet that killed it, yep a pellet rifle.

You joined a big club, we meet on Tuesday!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master

two kinds of folks: those that have shot their cronos and those that are going to
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Had one for over 20 years, never a direct hit. Dinged a skyscreen rod now and then before I quit using them. It appears my Chrony will retire unscathed, using a Labradar now and it sits right there on the bench beside me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I figured only an idiot would shoot the chrony. I mean... look how far off target you would have to be shooting to hit the thing!! So I hit mine on the first day. Got the suspense out of the way. LOL
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    BTDT.

220 round nose from a .30-40 Krag. Sent the remains to CHRONY for 10% off a new one.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    If you can't shoot your own chronograph, whose can you? I punched a hole in a printed card screen on a friend's, with a .455 Webley eggcup-shaped manstopper bullet, when they used a card with a hole to indicate where to shoot. No wad punch could do it more precisely. I offered to buy or scan and laminate a new one, but out of some distorted idea of humour he insisted on keeping it, and may be using it yet.

Welcome aboard. I'm on my third unit.......
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Had one for over 20 years, never a direct hit. Dinged a skyscreen rod now and then before I quit using them. It appears my Chrony will retire unscathed, using a Labradar now and it sits right there on the bench beside me.
    I hit that metal screen too and promptly went to Lowes and bought some small wooden dowels. If you nick one of those, it wont break anything but the dowel.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

You know, those chronographs live in a very dangerous neighborhood.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Hi. My name is Blackwater, and I'm a chronograph shooter. OK, meeting adjourned. Where's the coffee, doughnuts and smokes now?

Boolit Master

I use the tall soda straws from Schlotzskys
    Lots of nicks but does not fracture the plastic case
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    two kinds of folks: those that have shot their cronos and those that are going to
    /\ You beat me to it /\

Boolit Master
    There are always two kinds of folks. Those that have guns and those that dig. When you fly private planes...there are those that have forgotten to put down their landing gear and those that will. I thought that was a myth. Then my father bought what is known as the "fork tailed Dr. killer". He being a physician it was appropriate. Damned if it wasn't a myth....then I shot my CED M2 Chronograph and now own a LabRadar unit. I look forward to doing a gear up landing soon.
    [

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You know what they say . . . "some chronographs just need killin' ".

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gun-adian View Post
    welcome aboard. I'm on my third unit.......
    lol!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Is it true that they charge when they are wounded? I haven't shot mine yet but I have sent the top panels flying from the muzzle blast several times.