RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning High Power--need advise

Boolit Master

Browning High Power--need advise

Need a little advise and opinion here. I'm looking to buy my first high power pistol. Found one that's in pristine condition, not a blemish on it. Serial # starts with 76C, so I believe it's made in 1976. Has nice walnut grips and adjustable rear sight. Gentleman is asking $800 for it. Would that be a fair price? Can someone clue me in a little more about this pistol.
    Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

i love my Hi-Power. It is a Belgium from1974....price sounds about right....check with gunbroker.com
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In 1976 they changed the serial number sequence, but yours sounds like it could have been assembled at the time of the transition http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=35

If the pistol is factory original, unmodified, and in VG+ to Exc. condition the price is about right.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Great pistol and you'll love it if you get it. It's amazing how good a pistol it is considering it came about before all the wonder-nines we have today. For example the double column high capacity magazine and bullet feed ramp integral with the barrel. It was ahead of times.

Banned
    If it is an unmolested early 70's Browning in very good condition that's actually a little below average asking prices around here.

Perm-Banned
    the last time i checked they go for a lot more than that. had one many years ago and wish i still had it. it was a shooter.

Perm-Banned
    anybody have a ruger vaquero bisley? thinking about getting one after christmas. really like the way it feels in the hand. what would be better, the 45 long colt or 357 mag. i now load for both.

Perm-Banned
    oops wrong place, oh well

Boolit Master

I think new price is around $1K for that pistol. Price sounds right. I saw a 90% one with Pachmayr's for asking price of $795

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    If it is an unmolested early 70's Browning in very good condition that's actually a little below average asking prices around here.
    This!

I would never let mine go, let alone for $800 lol......

Banned
    There's a lot of history wrapped up in a P-35

Boolit Master
    I think the hi-power grip is the best out there, it is a natural shooter, all the polymer guns grip feels like a square box by comparison.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love those HP's, I will own one someday. I have a special savings envelope for a new Mk. III wich I drop a couple of bucks in every time I think about it. Guess I better get up and make a deposit!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Gave the man a call, I'm going for it. It'll be a few weeks before I can get it, New York State paperwork, even have to get the local judge to approve it. Fortunately, in our upstate county, our local judges and sheriff are really pro-gun. In fact, last week our sheriff made a public announcement to licenced CCW holders to carry if they felt competent to do so. Local liberals gave him a lot of flack for that, but he's standing by his word.
    Now in the meantime, can you good folks recommend a good bullet mold and your favorite loads for this gun? Thanks to all for responding.

Boolit Master
    mine eats the Lee 9mm 90309 boolits just fine. I tried low power target loads and they don't work so well, it is called a Hi Power for a reason, it works better with standard power loads.
    I would recommend the Lee 6 cavity mold with Green Dot or Unique.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    mine eats the Lee 9mm 90309 boolits just fine. I tried low power target loads and they don't work so well, it is called a Hi Power for a reason, it works better with standard power loads.
    I would recommend the Lee 6 cavity mold with Green Dot or Unique.
    It's called a Hi-Power ["Grande Puissance" in French] because it incorporated the first double stack pistol magazine.
    But yes, I'd stay in the standard pressure range with that fine gun. Something in the 115-125 grain range for bullet weight and around 1000-1150 fps. I like the 120gr truncated cone profile for 9mm pistols. It feeds well in most guns, isn't too heavy and they shoot well.
    Don't beat that gun up with heavy loads!
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 12-15-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    I load Green Dot & Unique in 9mm and 45acp.
    There is a Lee disc measure that sits on top of the case flaring die, it allows me to interchange GreenDot & Unique with 9mm and .45acp all in the same powder measure. no changes.
    IIRC it is 5.2gr green dot and 5.7 unique. (.68 disc in the auto-disc)?
    it is in the old allient handbooks.
    Last edited by kens; 12-15-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Now in the meantime, can you good folks recommend a good bullet mold and your favorite loads for this gun? Thanks to all for responding.
    may still be one left
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...low-point-mold

Boolit Master
    I carry a old Belgian military from 1962. for carry I use Remington 123 gr. golden sabers. loaded warm. for just shooting I use the rcbs 124 gr tc. I put a wolf heavy recoil spring in mine.

Boolit Master
    I have had the same HP since I bought it new in 1989, my first pistol. A copy, but has never failed me.

The only reason I would consider getting rid of it, is to get one of the new FNX pistols, which is in many ways same gun, just modern polymer, with more lefty friendly controls.