Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington roller build

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 49Reo View Post
    Howdy all, I've been a member here for a year or so, just kind of hanging in the shadows and enjoying the site. As a big fan of the .45-70 round, and rifles chambered in such, I decided it is time to start a build. I have a Green Mountain tapered octagon barrel, 1.12 on the big end, and just picked up an early rolling block; a Remington built 1867/89 in 8x58R action(and barrel too, for that matter)is in excellent condition. The issue is, when I measured the new barrel, it is slightly(about.102) bigger than the face of the action below the radius of the fronted fe of the action. I'm thinking of just radiusing the corners of the barrel down to match the action contour. Someone mentioned a "wedding band" cut on the barrel where it meets the action. Has anyone on here done, or seen, this done, am trying to visualize how it would look, either way, the wedding band cut of turning the corners to matched the action face. Any pics/ideas on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance;
    Reo
    Here is one that I did several years ago in 40-65. It actually shot pretty good in the 8MM but I had the barrel and wanted the larger caliber for hunting. I don't remember the shank size but it matched up nearly perfect. Fun rifle to shoot and not too bad to carry.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 004.jpg   71' Rolling Block 001.jpg   71' Rolling Block 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Right after Ballards, I'm a huge Rolling Block fan! Love them, and have built a few, plus own about a dozen originals presently. Remington made barrels larger than their actions, and when fitting them to the action they simply beveled the back edge down on the octagon corners.
    Similar to this Carlos Gove Remington:

This is my .44-77SBN heavy barrel. Just slightly larger, so slight bevel:

I've used Al Springer in Moore, Mt. to do my case coloring, and his work and prices beat everyone else I've tried. Probably the nicest colors around, and definitely the most reasonable if you polish the action yourself first!
    This one I built from a #1 Sporting action, and barreled with a .40-65 Win. GM full round barrel.

Color casehardening by Al Springer
    Last edited by marlinman93; 12-26-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Here is one that I did several years ago in 40-65. It actually shot pretty good in the 8MM but I had the barrel and wanted the larger caliber for hunting. I don't remember the shank size but it matched up nearly perfect. Fun rifle to shoot and not too bad to carry.

Bob
    Wow, nice. Nice wood on it too, nice grain.
    It is up to us to maintain that which so many have fought and died to gain

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Right after Ballards, I'm a huge Rolling Block fan! Love them, and have built a few, plus own about a dozen originals presently. Remington made barrels larger than their actions, and when fitting them to the action they simply beveled the back edge down on the octagon corners.
    Similar to this Carlos Gove Remington:

This is my .44-77SBN heavy barrel. Just slightly larger, so slight bevel:

I've used Al Springer in Moore, Mt. to do my case coloring, and his work and prices beat everyone else I've tried. Probably the nicest colors around, and definitely the most reasonable if you polish the action yourself first!
    This one I built from a #1 Sporting action, and barreled with a .40-65 Win. GM full round barrel.
    Nice rifle, looks like a brute for weight!

Nice rifle, looks like a brute for weight!
    I absolutely love big heavy singleshot rifles! I know they make no sense for hunting, but love them. The heavier the barrel, the better! Have a friend who owns an original Hepburn with half octagon barrel in .40-70 that is a good 1/8" larger than the receiver on each side! I have lusted over it for years, but he's never going to let it go!

Boolit Mold
    I would love to have a Hepburn in my toy box. But, never had the opportunity to buy but one, and he wasn't in a 'dealing' mood. So, one Highwall, 1 roller,(and one still needing to be re-barreled) one H&R BC, re-stocked to suit my long LOP, one Marlin 1895 CB, all in.45-70. This roller I want to re-barrel myself; I'm no machinist, but would still like to give it a try. All I can do is end up with a slightly shorter barrel.....

I would love to have a Hepburn in my toy box. But, never had the opportunity to buy but one, and he wasn't in a 'dealing' mood. So, one Highwall, 1 roller,(and one still needing to be re-barreled) one H&R BC, re-stocked to suit my long LOP, one Marlin 1895 CB, all in.45-70. This roller I want to re-barrel myself; I'm no machinist, but would still like to give it a try. All I can do is end up with a slightly shorter barrel.....
    I'm no machinist either, and my Chinese mill/lathe combo is not accurate enough for any critical work. I had John Taylor fit the GM barrel to my action, and then I did all the metal prep and wood fitting. Sent the barrel and action to Al Springer to do the color casehardening, and rust bluing.
    In the end, I'm probably in my Roller a bit over $1,000 including original purchase price for the #1 Sporter action.

Boolit Mold
    Back at last, been hiding in the shop rebuilding the engine in my Jeep. Dropped my barrelled action and Green Mountain barrel off a Corlane Sports, Dawson Creek, B.C. today to get the barrel chambered, threaded, and installed, by then I'll hopefully be finished the Jeep(project from He!!) then start finishing the metal and build some stocks...
    Managed to pick up a Pedersoli Creedmoor today as well, comes with the long brass scope installed on it but didn't get sights with it..gonna have to scrounge a set for it a sic don't think I will use the scope. I'll get pics up hopefully sooner than later, and will update periodically on the Roller build.

Reo

Boolit Master
    The 8x58 Barrel will make a fine 32.40 barrel liner.I did it with a Greener Martini Action and it is on Target with a 165 grain gas Checked Bullet measuring .324 and 40 Grains of 3f BP".Waste not want not.

Boolit Mold
    Now that is an interesting bit of info; I'll be filing that away for future project material...

Reo

Back at last, been hiding in the shop rebuilding the engine in my Jeep. Dropped my barrelled action and Green Mountain barrel off a Corlane Sports, Dawson Creek, B.C. today to get the barrel chambered, threaded, and installed, by then I'll hopefully be finished the Jeep(project from He!!) then start finishing the metal and build some stocks...
    Managed to pick up a Pedersoli Creedmoor today as well, comes with the long brass scope installed on it but didn't get sights with it..gonna have to scrounge a set for it a sic don't think I will use the scope. I'll get pics up hopefully sooner than later, and will update periodically on the Roller build.

Reo
    Sounds like a good choice! I would love to do some tasks, but since I do rebarreling rarely, I leave it to the experts. The Pedersoli sounds like a great purchase too! If the long brass scope has those funky original mounts, you'll want to locate some decent mounts to replace them! I have two of those old Tasco/Navy Arms Co. long brass scopes, and adapted Winchester rings to one, and Leatherwood Malcolm rings to the other. Adjustments are much nicer, and the scope sits in line with the barrel, not off to one side. Works way better than the funky brass mounts.
    I also patina'd both of my scopes to make them look aged, and more like old Malcolm scopes.

Boolit Mold
    Nice! What is that scope mounted on? My roller is in at Corlane Sports in Dawson Creek B.C. getting the barrel put on, and dovetail for front sight. Hope to have it back in a couple o weeks...

Reo

Don't forget to sporterize the action, I sent mine to John King, up in Montana, and he fitted the 38-55 barrel and sporterized the action for me; makes it look pretty nice.

McLintock