WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to open a safe????

Boolit Grand Master

Best way to open a safe????

I may have a gun safe to try and open.
    Owner passed away.
    There are firearms inside, and who knows what else.
    I don't know what brand it is yet. Will find out on Wed.
    Would be nice to open it without to much damage. But I don't think that's going to happen.
    I have a torch, plasma cutter, grinder with cutting wheel, BFH.
    Someone said locksmith would charge $500.
    Any suggestions.

Banned

Tip it on its back and get out some very big pry bars. Most safes are not that well built. Pry on the openings and pop the bars. Or, Contact the maker and get a death cert. and serial #. They usually will give it to you that way.

Boolit Master
    Some people intentionally store black powder in gun safes just for sparks from plasma, grinder or torches. I will advise against sparks.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

Pay a locksmith.

Vendor Sponsor

If one of the name brand safes browning , cannon ect there will be a stamped code on the back of the safe. Get that code
    Call the mfg for their recovery procedure.
    Usually the cops will need to come out confirm the code and certificate of death.
    Cops will then write letter on police letterhead confirming code and their contact info.
    You fax that to safe company they call you with the combo
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    If one of the name brand safes browning , cannon ect there will be a stamped code on the back of the safe. Get that code
    Call the mfg for their recovery procedure.
    Usually the cops will need to come out confirm the code and certificate of death.
    Cops will then write letter on police letterhead confirming code and their contact info.
    You fax that to safe company they call you with the combo
    +1
    Been there, done that.

Boolit Buddy

For FUTURE reference--

I wrote down the combination to my safe, put it into a zip lok bag, then the first bag and paper into a 2nd zip lok bag. Pulled the cover off of my electrical circuit breaker box, stashed the "baggie" in a corner of the box, and replaced the cover.

Informed my wife, sister, and one very trusted friend, of the location. Inside the breaker box is one place common burglars will seldom visit. Most of my friends and acquaintances would have little or no reservation about taking the cover off and retrieving the baggie. Worst case, a local electrician shouldn't charge any more than $25 for the service, if he would charge at all, given the circumstances.

A little thought could come up with a few other hidey holes around the house, then, when necessary, entry can be made without time and other factors getting in the way.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Master
    first got to a locksmith and ask him. then you will know. don't believe what "some one tells you". it only cost me $400 to open and repair mine after some one tried to break into it. the money spent will be recouped when you sell the safe in good working condition. plus you will not damage anything in the safe.

Boolit Master
    I would agree, depends on the type of safe. Any of the higher end I would contact the manufacturer. If its a cheap one from a local big box store, the bottom will be the weakest point. Depends if the safe is worth more than what the locksmith is going to charge.

Banned
    ".....Depends if the safe is worth more than what the locksmith is going to charge. "

That's the winning answer. If it's a cheap safe I would just lay it on its back and pry it open. You'll destroy the safe but paying $400 dollars to save a $400 safe is not cost effective.
    If a locksmith can open a $800 safe without damage and only charge you $400, you'll be money ahead.

If the manufacturer can give you the combination and you're not in a hurry to get it open; that is another option.

Boolit Grand Master

I would start by calling a lock smith. I would call several, as you might find one that is cheaper for some reason. Calling the manufacture is another starting point.

This is no help to you, but I have the combo to a few friends safes and at least one trusted one has mine. We are all going to be gone someday, and we may not know exactly when it will be.

Boolit Master
    Find a 5 year old kid...they can get into anything... Jus kidding... I have seen good ideas on the net that you could try. One involved drilling 2 holes in the right place....

In Remembrance

Almost all combination safes come from the plant with a combination of all zeros. It is amazing how many safe owners never change that combination.Robert

Banned

Never ever seen a safe with all 0's

Boolit Master

The price of the items that are stored in the safe would more than pay for the price of a locksmith.Take your pick.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy
    95% of the safes I seen on display opened with all 0's or 123456 if they had a digital dial

Boolit Master

Calling the manufacture is the best bet, as most don't change the combination upon purchasing the safe. Otherwise, if you think the individual did change the combination, try opening with his birth date, spouse's birth date, his home address etc, as a person usually changes a combination to something easily remembered. If all fails, then you either pay or get your tools out and see just how bad you can ***** that safe.

Boolit Grand Master

A locksmith is the really viable answer to this he can normally open one fairly quickly and if licensed can be a go between with the manufacturer to get the actual combination. Or you can Call manufacturer and fax or send required info to get factory combination. Keep in mind better safes allow the combination to be reset to the owners desire so factory may not have it per say. Most decent safes have 8-10 free rotating locking bolts of a material that dosnt crind or tourch cut easily. DAmage to contents is high with the home brew opening method. SOme really good safes have glass links in the mechanisim when they break from forced opening the bolts are in place with now means of retracting them.Also chck in the owners manual for the safe if still there it ay be noted in it.

Dont cut it unless you know what is inside. I would think that is a last resort. Is it a Combination or key safe? I would agree with contacting the manufacturer first.
    Bring your hip waders!!

Boolit Master

dont tip it on its back, unless you want to damage everything thats in it! first contact a locksmith, that is the easiest way to get in, just has some cash outlay. failing that cut it open, either cut the top off or cut out one of the sides. cutting them open works better if the safe is fire rated, as the layer of sheetrock inside will keep the sparks from actually getting at the contents.