Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead prices dropping

Lead prices dropping

I just went to my local scrap yard to see if he had any lead come in. What he's had for the last month required way to much work to sort out the lead from steel and zinc. But today, there was 40lbs of fresh brand spanking new lead wheel weights right on top and I was excited about that. So, I went to make sure of the price at the office and they had to call the boss, I thought uh oh. The price had been 65cts for coww and 70cts for clean, but the price dropped 45cts coww and 60cts clean . Needless to say I grabbed all that I could easily get to. I hope this is a new trend and the price stays low. I might have to go back next week when I have more time.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice score and a nice price.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    I hope this is a new trend and the price stays low. I might have to go back next week when I have more time.
    Careful what you wish for, the price of all engineering materials is dropping because the world is sliding into recession. 60¢ /lb looks rather expensive to the unemployed! Of course, we are all in different circumstances, and it's going to work out better for some of us than others.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes! Metal prices dropping is an omen of bad things to come. I am more than happy to pay $1/# for lead and alloys at my local yards. But all primary metals are going down and that is not good for the economy......unemployed or not! I work a lot with the copper industries here in AZ and they live and die based on the Cu price index. Look at silver. I am amazed any of my customer even bother to recover it since it's production cost is far above the spot market $$.

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!!!!!!!

banger
    Last edited by bangerjim; 08-01-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Yes! Metal prices dropping is an omen of bad things to come. I am more than happy to pay $1/# for lead and alloys at my local yards. But all primary metals are going down and that is not good for the economy......unemployed or not! I work a lot with the copper industries here in AZ and they live and die based on the Cu price index. Look at silver. I am amazed any of my customer even bother to recover it since it's production cost is far below the spot market $$.

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

Yup!

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Between Greece and the Euro zone, China slow down I'm not surprised at the drop in commodity prices. I think these days speculation drives prices more than actual demand. China economy is still growing but slower growth and that is enough to drive the futures and speculative market.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I bought 3 buckets of new lead WW's. Sorted and trading to tire shops. Really stretches the ww lead

Will be interesting to see if there is a price reduction next visit to the scrap yard. If there is a price reduction it might be a good time to get some plain lead.

My guess is they will say that they paid the old price for the lead in the bin so can't sell it for a reduced price that reflects current market price. And when prices rise they can't sell it for a reduced price because they can get a higher price on the general market. Coming or going they got you. On the other hand a drop of 10 or 15 cents a pound on a hundred lbs. is a nice chunk of savings a fellow can hope right?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Will be interesting to see if there is a price reduction next visit to the scrap yard. If there is a price reduction it might be a good time to get some plain lead.

My guess is they will say that they paid the old price for the lead in the bin so can't sell it for a reduced price that reflects current market price. And when prices rise they can't sell it for a reduced price because they can get a higher price on the general market. Coming or going they got you. On the other hand a drop of 10 or 15 cents a pound on a hundred lbs. is a nice chunk of savings a fellow can hope right?
    I think, I caught my yard on one of those good days. I was set to never go back there after the last time. They are a bunch of grumpy airheads. The young guy running the office Saturday has always been fairly respectable. I got 40lbs of coww and 37 lbs of sheet lead because that was all I could easily get to and he told me 40 bucks, I paid him and didn't hesitate. They have been known to change their mind/price right in the middle of the sale. I don't even use pure lead but been buying it almost every chance and probably have 150 to 200 lbs and nothing to shoot it in. Time for a cap and ball pistol, I think.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Cap and ball pistols are great. Get a nice ML rifle too and sling some round balls. It's addictive!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

We're losing tens of thousands at work due to a drop in commodity prices. It's almost not worth it to pay a kid $10 an hour to break down HVAC equipment. But we were making a lot of money when copper was above $3 a pound so it is what it is. If the price of lead falls enough I will most likely order enough half ton of certified alloy from a foundry.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    I think, I caught my yard on one of those good days. I was set to never go back there after the last time. They are a bunch of grumpy airheads. The young guy running the office Saturday has always been fairly respectable. I got 40lbs of coww and 37 lbs of sheet lead because that was all I could easily get to and he told me 40 bucks, I paid him and didn't hesitate. They have been known to change their mind/price right in the middle of the sale. I don't even use pure lead but been buying it almost every chance and probably have 150 to 200 lbs and nothing to shoot it in. Time for a cap and ball pistol, I think.
    I buy GOOD clean pure Pb whenever I find it. I do NOT shoot BP. Pure can always be mixed with alloys to get what you want. People need to get over the mind-set of "I use COWW's and nothing else". It is extremely easy to mix any alloy you want using the alloy calc on here. Invest in a little hardball or superhard and some pewter and you will be able to mix with your pure! ( I have over 1200# of pure)

That is how I have been doing it for over 2 years now since the WW's have pretty much all turned to Zn/Fe.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I buy GOOD clean pure Pb whenever I find it. I do NOT shoot BP. Pure can always be mixed with alloys to get what you want. People need to get over the mind-set of "I use COWW's and nothing else". It is extremely easy to mix any alloy you want using the alloy calc on here. Invest in a little hardball or superhard and some pewter and you will be able to mix with your pure! ( I have over 1200# of pure)

That is how I have been doing it for over 2 years now since the WW's have pretty much all turned to Zn/Fe.

banger
    ml
    Well, you just blowed my excuse right out the window. Need to delete this thread before my wife sees it.

Shoot hopefully shot prices go down from $50 a bag.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    We're losing tens of thousands at work due to a drop in commodity prices. It's almost not worth it to pay a kid $10 an hour to break down HVAC equipment. But we were making a lot of money when copper was above $3 a pound so it is what it is. If the price of lead falls enough I will most likely order enough half ton of certified alloy from a foundry.
    Dragon, keep an eye on it. If drops more we should split a load.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Dragon, keep an eye on it. If drops more we should split a load.
    Will do, I'm thinking there might be a price break at a ton. Not like I paid a lot last time to begin w/.

Heck one can cut COWW's with plain Pb 50/50 and have a decent pistol alloy, especially if adding some tin. BHN an easy 10+ as is or can water drop for magnum.

I tend to pay less for WW's than for plain but I don't turn down a good price on sheet lead, not passing that up when it can be added to anything else I have and stretch out the useful alloys.

Boolit Buddy
    Metal prices retracting back to the levels seen in the early 2000's. China drove the scrap and primary metal prices up after 2003 for certain. In the casting industry, we had to add surcharge costs to the cost of the castings to cover the increase in base material prices. Sooner or late the prices had to move down.

Have a friend whose family owned a scrap yard for 40 years. He talks about paying .10/pound for lead for years and years. Great for manufacturing but hard on the the "scrappers" when prices drop.

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of shot, scrapper had a couple hundred pounds of shot in cans behind the desk the other day. I asked, and he let me look. $1.00/lb, he says. I noticed two cans of 71/2-8 shot, and they weren't mixed up yet. I had a bucket of jackets to sell, and ended up trading my jackets and about $8 for 40# of nice shot. Ran home and put it in some bags I had laying around, and voila! Ready to load some clays ammo! Can't beat turning $35.00 scrap and $8.00 into about $80.00 worth of shot.... By the way, how much lag time between lead spot and shot prices. Seems like a while...
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    Shoot hopefully shot prices go down from $50 a bag.
    No kidding!!
    Bob