WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WW smelting. Any reason to keep the steel or zinc?

WW smelting. Any reason to keep the steel or zinc?

I'm starting to build up a little cache of steel and zinc WWs. Also, I'm getting ready to dump the trash and it has 10-15 pounds of steel clips from the WWs. Any reason to keep this stuff?

Moderator Emeritus

I found out after just putting mine in as scrap the some yards will give you regular ww rates even though there is no lead. Might work for you.

Steel Clips, not unless you can come up with a couple tons of it. Only worth about 2 maybe 3 cents a lb. Zinc, sell back at WW price, becareful not buy them back if you buy WW from them.

Boolit Grand Master

I save the zinc because it would make cannon balls. The steel weights will go to the scrap yard when I go again. The clips get thrown away.

I toss it all into a scrap bin and about once a year take it in. Helps to separate metals though.

Boolit Master

I give mine to my son who sells them along with other stuff at the scrap yard,no gain for me.lol
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Myself it is all headed to the scrap yard, consider it a "discount coupon" for the lead I'm buying there that day. I do keep the steel clips, Fe WW's, and zinc WW's separated. The WW's as part of getting ready to smelt, the clips just get their own 5 gallon bucket(s) after cooling when skimmed.

I'm going to the scrap yard anyway for lead so getting a couple of bucks off on it from my sorting/smelting scrap works for me.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you get into sand casting some time, you will find the zinc is a very good thing to have around.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I use it to make the big coast sinkers. Shark fishing off the beach, you lose some.

Does it cast OK for fishing sinkers? Seems a shame to chuck it.

On sinkers, you don't worry if the mould is cold, they all work, LOL

I make several types the triangle, the flat round, the claw, the pyramid and have no problems

Boolit Buddy
    Zinc sinkers should give you an electrical discharge in salt water. Sharks might like this.

Boolit Grand Master

If you live near the ocean save them up. When you have several pounds cast them into zinc anodes for lobster or crab pots and then trade them for lobster or crabs to a fisherman.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

Last summer:
    Scrap yards are cleaning up these days. I tried to sell the zinc WW like I do copper and al. The scrap yard considered them junk and wanted to give me .03-.05 per pound for WW. SO, I took all my clips and skimming's put them in a can loaded the pick-up with other miscellaneous metals and got .09c per pound. The real kicker was they wanted .80c per pound to sell me WW.
    Zinc is .90c lb. So how is this any different that taking in a bunch of copper pipe and AL cans and storm doors?

Here's an article from January:
    https://www.steelmarketupdate.com/bl...-to-drop-30-50

Moderator Emeritus

I am saving the zinc to cast some wheel weights for my lawn tractor. Have a couple steep spots in the lawn and if it is wet I spin out.

I can always throw them at my boys when they piss me off!

Boolit Buddy
    sure save all metals and slag it all goes in the shread pile it pays about 10cents a lb or more

Boolit Master
    Has anyone ever tried trading a bucket of steel and/or zinc weights at those tire shops that say they have a deal with the battery company?
    You could throw in $20 or $30 and he'll still have something to turn in to the battery co.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

I assume the battery company's want the lead to recycle into new lead-acid batteries. So the steel and zinc are probably trash to them. They probably just recycle the steel and zinc at a scrap yard.

I remember a while ago reading a suggestion about returning the good condition zinc weights to the tire shop. Believe it or not I have run into more then 1 shop that claims they try to reuse their weights. When you consider that the zinc weights are usually in "reusable" condition, atleast the best condition weights in a bucket, then I could see how some shops might like to have a bucket of zinc weights to trade for their bucket of misc weights. The lead weights are soft so usually snipped in 2 or bent out of shape. The steel weights are often all rusted up. However the zinc weights have a good portion of them in good condition. I find quite a few zinc COWW's that look like they havent been used.

Scrap is high price stuff anymore. Five gallon bucket of dross is about thirty dollars. Clips go in with rest rest of the farm steel.
    Just dump it in five gallon buckets. They fill up faster than you may think.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln