WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New "Bargin" rifles"

Boolit Buddy
    A few years ago I bought one of these "price-point" rifles on a whim.
    A friend had won it at a FNRA banquet and said he had no use for it.
    It is a Howa 1500 Sporter chambered in .204 Ruger, and I could not be more impressed.
    It uses the Wetherby Vanguard action and is smooth as butter.

The one thing that really surprised me though was the report.
    That little .20cal bullet is LOUD!

Finally got a chance to go pick up the m70 zastava from academy sports. In the meantime as of 3-31-15 they had gone on sale again. They dropped from 350.00 to 274.00 plus some change. Anyway with tax it was out the door at 294.00.
    This one has the high comb stock (too high for the iron sights) which should be just right for scope use. Action is not rough at all, but not smooth and polished either. Should slick right up with use. Not bad at all for a new mauser in .308 for less than 300.00 total!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Virtually for the cost of a decent barrel
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I sold myself on savages. I buy mine to shoot them and if I get a scratch on it.
    Who cares,
    Best part... With my Model 11 I have three guns.
    I picked up the Rifle for $350 in 308win and two extra barrels for $200 one in .243 and one in 7mm-08. Tools and a old style barrel nut for $120 used.
    So for $670 I have three different guns. All three configurations shoot inside 1 inch at 100 yards.

Next one is going to be a Savage Aixis 2 in 223 and a spare 300 Black out barrel.
    But that one I will put a Boyds stock on it.

Cheap guns now days are quite different than cheap guns of old.
    Expensive guns of old were made on old hand set machines and hand fit for function.
    Cheap guns were made on hand set equipment. Test fit for function and stuck in the box.

New cheap guns are made in state of the art CNC Machining centers. Made to real tight tolerances with out all the extra human hand working and added costs.
    The only time they have an issue is when they let the tooling get worn. Still happens but your luck of the draw odds have went up quite a bit from the old days.
    I suspect now days there is not a whole lot of difference between a $700 gun and a $300 quality wise. Usually just a cheaper stock. Buy a new stock.

Boolit Master
    Just won an Interarms Mark X on Gunbroker.com in 7mm Rem Mag and have a Douglas barrel in .338 Win Mag I'm going to install on it. My buddy has a project in mind for the 7 mag barrel.

looking at molds at Accurate for the .338.

Life is good...

I can't understand why the Zastava isn't available in 338WM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Said i would post pic's of the new Zastava, finally got around to it...not great pic's but....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	137394Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	137394

Sorry for the double pic's
    The next pic is after i took the comb down a bit to utilize the iron sights
    and also had to take some wood off in the safety area as it was binding on a high spot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	137395

Last pic is to show the rollover part of the comb still intact on the off side.
    Didn't have to take off too much to see the iron sights.
    Now to sand the whole stock down and get a good finish on it.
    The inletting is actually pretty good. Barrel channel needs a bit of rasping.
    ALL things considered i really like this rifle so far and the bit of stock work
    is fun and personalizes it to me!
    Also a bit of wood removal will be needed if a receiver sight is used as the screw holes on the side of receiver are almost covered by the stock.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	137396

Boolit Grand Master
    looking real good !

can't wait to see some targets shot with your new rifle.

Ben

Well stock work has come to a halt. After getting it all scraped and shaped and almost ready for a finish, i found a split in the inletting.
    It's the bridge behind the mag well where it butts up and the front of the trigger guard.
    Split is length wise from top to bottom except for the rear portion of the bottom.

Recoil lug should take the pressure off and is fit well in that area. Guess i could try to flex the stock and get some glue in there and clamp from the sides.
    Would that be enough in that area, or new stock? I'm thinking new stock...just wish i had spotted it quicker.

You can tell from the pic (i hope) the inletting was tight on the right side and someone at the factory jammed the action in anyway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	137487

Boolit Master
    You might could install a small cross-bolt in this area?

It'd be a shame to lose the original wood especially if it's as nice as what came on my M85.

Get in touch with the importer and ask about a replacement stock--forlorn hope but it don't cost to try.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Well stock work has come to a halt. After getting it all scraped and shaped and almost ready for a finish, i found a split in the inletting.
    It's the bridge behind the mag well where it butts up and the front of the trigger guard.
    Split is length wise from top to bottom except for the rear portion of the bottom.

Recoil lug should take the pressure off and is fit well in that area. Guess i could try to flex the stock and get some glue in there and clamp from the sides.
    Would that be enough in that area, or new stock? I'm thinking new stock...just wish i had spotted it quicker.

You can tell from the pic (i hope) the inletting was tight on the right side and someone at the factory jammed the action in anyway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	137487
    Put in a cross bolt, and some contrasting wood plugs to cover the end. Bed it well with epoxy or Acraglas.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Kinda late to this thread .......

But, several months ago I traded a Gen2 Glock 20 for a NIB Stainless/Synthetic Savage Axis in .223 Remington. All I can say is WOW ..... it shoots under 1" at 100 yards with Federal American Eagle 55 grain FMJ (the 30 round box on AR Strippers). I traded with intention of using it as my knock around on ATV's and am happy to say it fits that role perfectly. I have an older Leupold Vari-X II in 3x9 that I am thinking about putting on it. My only dismay with whole deal is wishing I would have traded for a .243 Winchester instead ...... In short, I am extremely pleased with my no-frills little companion .....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    Actually they want to be killed by a really nice rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

No game animal I know of will ever be able to tell the difference between getting shot with a premium rifle or with an econo-gun.

EDG

Thanks for the advice. I had thought of a cross bolt and my next thought was i may not be the best person for that job lol.
    Sounds like that's the way to proceed though to save this stock. I do know someone who can do it.
    This is just one more reminder i need a good drill press along with some other things.

One old way of fixing a split was to get a small bolt and nut, drill a hole either side of the split, cut a trench between the two holes, fill with epoxy or similar, drop the bolt and nut in top up the epoxy and clamp or bid the stock with surgical tape or bicycle inner tube. Assembe after cleanup and the repair is invisible.

Boolit Grand Master

You can flex it open and work a good thin epoxy into the crack, I have at times even used a rubber tipped blow gun and air compressor to hel;p push it deeper into the crack and get a more consistent fill. Then clamp from the sides in a padded vise. Working the glue in like this gets a solid bond and fill. Ideally when you clamp it youshould see a little glue push back out of the crack. This tells you you got a good fill and coating. A cross bolt can be installed also.

Thanks again for all the stock repair tips guys! Looks like this stock is fixable for sure and we'll try to get it done! I'm glad to know it after i went to the trouble to shape the stock for iron sight use and had it just perfect for me.
    It'll see mostly scope use, but i like irons as a back up too, just wish i could see them as well as i used too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Virtually for the cost of a decent barrel
    Speaking of a good bbl....this deal keeps getting better. I was hoping the Zastava in .308 would have a 1/12 twist like the CZ's.
    Tonight i ran a tight patch through the bore with a piece of tape on the rod and got a 1/12 twist measurement dead on. Should be great for what i wanted as a good cast shooter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    I think any rifle that one can afford, that allows them trigger time is a good rifle.

I to have preferences, and that is for old steel and wood. My last several bargin rifles were all made around or well before the middle of the last century. Many people fail to consider used rifles as a source of constant enjoyment. I think part of this comes from todays throw away teachings and schooling.

The first place I go when touring LGSs is the used racks.

Ken
    I concur - when I get to the city, which happens several times a year. I look at the used gun racks and have found a jewel now and then.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    I think any rifle that one can afford, that allows them trigger time is a good rifle.

I to have preferences, and that is for old steel and wood. My last several bargin rifles were all made around or well before the middle of the last century. Many people fail to consider used rifles as a source of constant enjoyment. I think part of this comes from todays throw away teachings and schooling.

The first place I go when touring LGSs is the used racks.

Ken
    i have to go with that. its hard to find "old school wood n steel" . its alot easier to find a 328 superdoopermagnumitis with a synthic stock and stainless barrel for around $300-400.
    now don't get me wrong, i like my tc encores. but i love my "old school wood n steel" .