Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first pistol?

Boolit Mold

What was your first pistol?

I remember mine fondly. It was the Davis 380 pistol in stainless with a 6 round magazine. I was 21 and it was a gift to myself. 95.00 plus tax. I shot it so much the slide had a small hairline crack in it. I sent it to DAvis and they replaced it. However, I traded up to a Ruger p89. I miss that pocket pistol. I also got that slide bite too with it for free. : )

Boolit Master

The first one I ever bought myself would have probably been a Series 70 Colt 1911, although a Ruger Mk-I or Mk-II would have been a close second, I suspect. That would have been in the late 1970s.

Boolit Buddy
    Given pistols are heavily restricted here in Aus I didn't get into pistol shooting until the mid 90's. First purchase was a Browning buckmark field. Still have it, would be close to 100k rounds now. My son now uses it for competition, won a few medals with it last month at the state championships and manages to outshoot me more often than I would like despite the $2k+ target pistol Im now using.

Boolit Master
    First pistol was a Browning HP, which was preceded by a Colt Python, my first revolver.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Astra Cub .22 short. Something was wrong with it and it'd fire all 7 at the first pull. But it was my carry pistol and I figured I'd only pull it when they were real close, if I needed it, and unzip em.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold

my first was a Browning HP I loved that gun and while it was one of the best hand guns I've owned I can remember how i wished it was a 22 when I was buying ammo for it, it would be another two years before I started reloading

Boolit Master

Benjamin .177 air gun.
    Dad bought it for me when I was 8.
    I have loved handguns every since....dale

Boolit Master
    When I started college I was driving a long ways to school and back every day. I was given a Lorcin 380 automatic. Thing was supposed to be decent according to the schister that sold it to my folks. You couldn't hit the bottom of a bucket from inside of it, it would jam and stovepipe every other round, and sometimes it would randomly spit a extra unfired round out the top when cycling. Flip side is it did go boom on the first trigger pull. I only had to use it three times in a decade. Once to put down a badly wounded dog. Once to put down a badly wounded Doe. And Once to convince a feller with a switchblade knife that I was serious. Right after the knife incident it was retired in favor of a Ruger GP100.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Banned
    If we're talking about the first pistol purchased, it would be a Ruger Mark II.
    I miss that Ruger, it would outshoot some rifles!
    I sold it to fund some other itch, thinking, surely...it could easily be replaced.
    Well that bone-headed move resulted in a long succession of Ruger .22 pistols in search of the original's equal. I came close but never found one. My own personal Zeno's paradox of firearm acquisition - you can get really close but never there!

Boolit Master

Raven .25 cal. It was the reason I did not get another pistol for a long time. Stove pipes, jams, couldn't hit the ground if I pointed it down. Ammo was expensive. A terrible pistol. Too small.

Boolit Master
    colt 22 /22mag six shooter!

wish i still owned it.

Boolit Master

Mine was an Iver Johnson 22LR/22mag,I think it was an Iver Johson been so long ago I don't rightly remember.But I do remember it being 22LR and 22Mag
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    When I started college I was driving a long ways to school and back every day. I was given a Lorcin 380 automatic. Thing was supposed to be decent according to the schister that sold it to my folks. You couldn't hit the bottom of a bucket from inside of it, it would jam and stovepipe every other round, and sometimes it would randomly spit a extra unfired round out the top when cycling. Flip side is it did go boom on the first trigger pull. I only had to use it three times in a decade. Once to put down a badly wounded dog. Once to put down a badly wounded Doe. And Once to convince a feller with a switchblade knife that I was serious. Right after the knife incident it was retired in favor of a Ruger GP100.

GoodOlBoy
    I feel your pain my second handgun was a lorcin 9mm, worst poecenof junk I've ever owned and then shortly after got the post card advising me not to fire it and soon they would send a mailing label to send it back for replacement or repair, they went belly up. I turned it in to one of those gun buy back schemes some years later got 150 USD! Only paid $99, kept the mags as a reminder that you get what you pay for!

Boolit Master

mine was a Ruger Semi auto #1...$39.00 I bought with my paper route money...Mom had to sign for me
    still have the pistol and the memories that go with it
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

Browning model 1922 32acp
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm the oddball here . . . 1851 Colt (repro - 1966 or so)

Boolit Grand Master
    CVA .45 cal Kentucky Pistol kit in 1978 or so for $33 or so. I had to buck a lot of hay bales to pay for that.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger Standard Auto .22 LR, when I was 13. I had just received my Jr. hunting license after completing the NRA hunter safety course. My Dad had to sign for it and I had to pay half (Lawn money). The total cost of the pistol was $35 and the Jr. hunting license was $1.25.

It was 1961

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger MKII Target. It's been a love hate relationship because it's a picky SOB when it comes to ammo. And of course the ammo that doesn't cycle the action is the most accurate. I still have it. But a Beretta U22 Neos and GSG 1911 see a lot more range time.

High Standard bull barrel target 22. I got the slide bite for free also. Second was a Star (Astro) 380 that looked like a mini 1911. Both gone now. Third is a workhorse XDm 40. Anything my mark III won't eat shouldn't be shot.
    Whatever!