WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Alox

In Remembrance

Shipping Alox

I had an order ready for Midway and to round it out decided to add a LEE push thru sizer in .311" The phone desk person informed me that with Alox in the box it now is considered a "Flammable Liquid" by the post office and can only be shipped by UPS. I would really like to hear from whatever expert that determined this how and why Alox is now a "flammable" problem?Robert

Boolit Master
    I'm from the government ..and I'm here to help.
    Really its just because it is gun / boolit related. Government types get all freaked out about it.

I tried to mail a shotgun in state. Followed all the rules and regulations listed on USPS website. all packaged and labeled correctly.

took it in to my local post office to mail it. when the young lady who was helping me asked about the package I informed her it was a shotgun. She FREAKED started screaming and told me it was a federal offense to bring a firearm to a post office and this went on for several minutes. I asked to speak to a supervisor. when he showed up I explained to him what was happening and quoted their own regulations and rules and where to find them. Evidently he was clueless too because he had to go look them up.

I finally gave up and went to UPS where there were no hassles
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    You have to be an FFL shipping to another organization that is a legitimate firearms handler. There is also a form that has to be filled out by the shipper in duplicate and presented at the time of shipment. That form is signed by the clerk helping the shipper and one (1) copy is returned to the shipper. Anyone that handles that package after the form is signed has to also sign that package out to move it. As told to me by my local Post Office.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Some wrong info here. BATF says to NEVER tell the PO you are shipping a gun. Shipping a long gun between private purchasers within most state borders is perfectly legal, without an FFL.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

you can ship a fire arm to or from a gunsmith through the mail I have had an unknowing postal clerk try to tell me other wise . they do get a bit pissed when you take it higher to prove it is ok to do

Boolit Master

Absolutely ridiculous. Lee needs to start selling the sizing die separate from the alox.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Waksupi is correct. Shipping a long gun is not a problem. I should have specified a handgun.

Boolit Master

Darn strange, I had the same issue with Midway ordering a couple sizers & told them to keep the whole order. Ordered the same things from Titan & it got shipped USPS Priority flat rate box. When the box arrived I made a video of the outside of the box, me opening it and what it contained...sent it "attention Larry Potterfield, President Midway USA" explaining the issue & why my $$ went elsewhere but I never heard back.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

That damned LLalox is some bad stuff!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yeah... back to the OP... What about the Alox? I wanted to sell some of it a while back, but didn't know if I could ship it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    some wrong info here. Batf says to never tell the po you are shipping a gun. Shipping a long gun between private purchasers within most state borders is perfectly legal, without an ffl.

this!
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    The solvent in lee liquid alox is truly flammable. Commercial outfits have to salute the msds and when a flammable solvent is used, we get screwed. That isn't to say that you couldn't order from someone else that doesn't salute. It has been a while, but I think that I successfully ordered from grafs w/o the flammable hassel.
    Last edited by OuchHot!; 07-13-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Ordered a Lee .401 sizing die from Titan last week. Shipped via USPS 2nd day no issues, no additional costs, no hassles. easy peasy. I look at the total cost of an item/order including shipping, hazmat, handling and go with the vendor with the overall lower cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    I'm from the government ..and I'm here to help.
    Really its just because it is gun / boolit related. Government types get all freaked out about it.

I tried to mail a shotgun in state. Followed all the rules and regulations listed on USPS website. all packaged and labeled correctly.

took it in to my local post office to mail it. when the young lady who was helping me asked about the package I informed her it was a shotgun. She FREAKED started screaming and told me it was a federal offense to bring a firearm to a post office and this went on for several minutes. I asked to speak to a supervisor. when he showed up I explained to him what was happening and quoted their own regulations and rules and where to find them. Evidently he was clueless too because he had to go look them up.

I finally gave up and went to UPS where there were no hassles
    The postal workers union doesn't want to handle anything flammable or combustible. It has nothing to do with gun related items. You can't mail paint, fingernail polish, alcohol, any flammable petroleum or alcohol based liquid.

Boolit Master

I guess those regs against LLA don't apply to the original stuff. A few years ago I bought a 5 gal. bucket of both Alox 606-55 and Alox350. I wasn't too familiar with cast boolit lubricants back then and thought that the world would come to an end if I couldn't get Alox.

OK! I went overboard but it turns out I like the stuff(as well as the smell).

Maybe I didn't have a problem because it was shipped to me by motor freight.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I guess those regs against LLA don't apply to the original stuff. A few years ago I bought a 5 gal. bucket of both Alox 606-55 and Alox350. I wasn't too familiar with cast boolit lubricants back then and thought that the world would come to an end if I couldn't get Alox.

OK! I went overboard but it turns out I like the stuff(as well as the smell).

Maybe I didn't have a problem because it was shipped to me by motor freight.

correct because it went SURFACE. The NTSB don't want anything on planes that could cause problems. Ya can't even send or receive lithium batteries in the mail. They aren't gun related.

In Remembrance

FOLLOW UP: I sent an E mail to LEE saying I only wanted the sizer and not necessarily the Alox seeing as how I don`t use it. I got a 2 sentence reply saying I could buy the sizer PARTS from them direst and avoid buying the ALOX. The parts spread page they sent on the .311" sizer had the parts listed seperatley. The cost of the sizer die body alone was the same price range of the entire kit I bought from Midway minus the special UPS shipping imvolved! They did not even mention the omission of Alox from the sizer kits I suggested nor thank me for my concerns.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered 2 lee sizer kits with their Alox and it came priority mail 3 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    I just ordered 2 lee sizer kits with their Alox and it came priority mail 3 days ago.
    Who did you order those through that sent them through the mail? I would love to hear.

From the USPS web site
    343.2 Mailability and Packaging

343.21 Requirements for Flammable Liquids

The following conditions apply:
    a.International Mail. Flammable liquid is prohibited.
    b.Domestic Mail via Air Transportation. Flammable liquid is prohibited.
    c.Domestic Mail via Surface Transportation. Flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 20° F (–7° C) or below is prohibited. Other flammable liquid is permitted if the material can qualify as an ORM–D material and meet the criteria in Exhibit 343.21. A mailable flammable liquid must be prepared according to Packaging Instruction 3A in Appendix C, as applicable.
    Last edited by FLHTC; 07-18-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    Who did you order those through that sent them through the mail? I would love to hear.

From the USPS web site
    343.2 Mailability and Packaging

343.21 Requirements for Flammable Liquids

The following conditions apply:
    a.International Mail. Flammable liquid is prohibited.
    b.Domestic Mail via Air Transportation. Flammable liquid is prohibited.
    c.Domestic Mail via Surface Transportation. Flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 20° F (–7° C) or below is prohibited. Other flammable liquid is permitted if the material can qualify as an ORM–D material and meet the criteria in Exhibit 343.21. A mailable flammable liquid must be prepared according to Packaging Instruction 3A in Appendix C, as applicable.
    Just an FYI: Priority Mail is automagically considered Air Transportation "By Nature" even if it is being delivered in the same Town. With all the vendors using Priority thanks to the Discounts USPS is offering, Flammable liquids are a problem. Just because it is not using Priority Packaging, if you check the label, you may find that things you through went Regular Mail, actually were sent to you under Priority.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER