Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NOE 358009 boolit and a 35 whelen

35 shooter, That's it! Red powder came with the ES PC gun and it's on the gun, ready to go. I might not ever have to lube again!

It's gonna look like a big tube of lipstick!

TXGunNut, Glad you guys are finding your stuff, I'm still missing that tripod! I'm thinking that I'll have to buy another one to be able to find this one. That's when I'll find it, too!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    -snip-

TXGunNut, Glad you guys are finding your stuff, I'm still missing that tripod! I'm thinking that I'll have to buy another one to be able to find this one. That's when I'll find it, too!
    Found two tripods at garage sales, good thing because I backed over one with my pickup once.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

35 shooter, That's it! Red powder came with the ES PC gun and it's on the gun, ready to go. I might not ever have to lube again!

It's gonna look like a big tube of lipstick!

Lipstick? Oh man!

Here they are, HT'd and PC'd just today! Prior to PCing, I sized to .359. The .360 sizer arrives today, I'll size them with it tonight. Do you think I can shoot them this weekend or wait a few days for the HT a little?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RED 35whelen 005.jpg   RED 35whelen 006.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Those are some pretty boolits. I'm too much of a traditionalist to jump right into PC'ing but maybe someday....
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nice boolits! That's what I'm gonna do to my .35 boolits too.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Wow, i didn't realize you could tumble lube with Ben's Red!

Gonna give h4350 another try this weekend if the rain holds off. Looked like both 52 and 54 gr. tried to shoot. I know i blew one shot on the 54 gr. load the other day. I've got 3 loaded with 54 1/2 gr. just to check also.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 07-18-2014 at 11:41 PM.

35 shooter, It's Ben's Red in powder form! Dry and non sticky version!

I hope that rain does hold off for you, let's hope it's cooler, too. It's tough to shoot nice groups when the sweat is rolling down and burning your eyes!

I think I read that gun writer Rick Jamison's method for cooling his barrel was to pour ice water from an Igloo jug into the barrel from the breech end with a hose and rubber fitting and then dry it with a couple of patches. He had a shut-off valve on the hose and the fitting prevented water from entering the action. Of course that was at his home range, he didn't have to lug it anywhere.

TXgunNut, Me, too! I'm just doing what it takes. HTing is also new to me too. It's opened up a whole new range of velocity possibilities to me. Prior to HTing, 1900 FPS was where I hit the wall, accuracy wise. PCing is the only method I know of that could extend those velocities with accuracy past what's possible with HTing. That and you get purdy boolits!

Beagle333, As you must know, there's not much information on how to make PCing work good for rifles. Very few have accomplished both high velocity and accuracy with it in rifles. This could be revolutionary! I think it will work but, there's a lot to learn with very little supporting data. There's going to be a lot of trial and error. To find any info, you have to wade through an awful lot of reading. Most posts are from new shooters, new to casting, looking for the "EASY" button and claiming amazing results! It's frustrating to read that much and get so little good info. Lots of purdy boolit photos, though!

btw, Your boolits look like they'd put a hurt on something just sitting there!

Well it does look like sunshine by 7 am in the morning, got my fingers crossed. For fun i'm gonna take a few unique loads for the pb boolit. Also gonna play with my bond arms derringer 45/410 with some unique loads behind a .454 minnie ball hollow base. Shot a 4" group at 25 yds. with it last weekend but couldn't see those stainless steel sights well. I could see the sights better against the red dirt and gravel 100 yd. berm, so i shot the rest of them there after i figured out how much front sight to hold above the rear. I think that hollow base is sealing off the 410 part of the bore well as i didn't get much leading at all. Acts like it's self cleaning so far.
    Got the sights painted black for this trip. Won't be any excuses this time lol. Except of course for the 1000 pound trigger pull. Gotta get a spring kit for that thing.
    Of course i have the h4350 loads for the whelen too. Should be an interesting trip.

WoW! I thought those little pistols were for close in work only! With that recoil, I wouldn't want to shoot it too many times but, I have big hands and they don't fit me well. Don't heat it up and stick it back in your pocket!

WoW! I thought those little pistols were for close in work only! With that recoil, I wouldn't want to shoot it too many times but, I have big hands and they don't fit me well. Don't heat it up and stick it back in your pocket!
    The only other load i ever got to shoot in that thing was a win. 250 gr. lead rn factory round, but after about 9 or 10 shots you had to clean the lead out. I've shot 2 1/2 and 3" groups with that load from a clean bbl. @ 25 yds. with 3 shots. I would have one go through the target almost sideways sometimes though and 12" off somewhere. This minnie ball boolit actually cut clean holes the other day. Every other boolit i've tried in it has key holed badly and shot wild. If the colt brass loads don't work , i'm gonna try some 444 brass in it to get the boolit closer to the rifling. Of course i'd have to fire form it first. I was impressed at how well it did @ 100 yds. the other day but not as much as the guy that was spotting for me. I was only hitting close but it was still a lot of fun. This may turn out to be THE boolit for a 45/410...we'll see.

Boolit Grand Master

Weather looking nice in my neck of the woods this morning, cases are in the tumbler and Ol' Ugly's vacation is about to get interrupted! Hope you get to head to the range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Weather looking nice in my neck of the woods this morning, cases are in the tumbler and Ol' Ugly's vacation is about to get interrupted! Hope you get to head to the range as well.
    Glad to hear that! Did you get the new mould yet?
    I did get to the range early this morning. It was actually almost cool here today with all the cloud cover.

Tried h4350 again today with two of the loads that shot the best 3 shot groups last weekend.
    (1) 52 gr. h4350...5 shots @3.205" @ 100 yds.

(2) 54 gr. h4350...5 shots @4.601" @ 100 yds.
    (3) 54 1/2 gr. h4350...5 shots@4.683" @ 100 yds.

5 shot groups told the tale for h4350 for MY rifle. It definitely prefers imr 4350.
    I also shot the pb version with unique again.
    (1) 12 gr. unique 5 shots @2.113" @ 100 yds.
    (2) 11.8 gr. unique 5 shots @2.844" @ 100 yds.
    (3) 12 gr. unique 4 shots @ .601" @ 50 yds....only had 4 of these left.
    Good small game load.

Just for fun, i shot my bond arms 45/410 with my new .454 minie ball and some unique loads. I think i finally found THE BOOLIT for the derringer.
    (1) 5 gr. unique 3 shots in 3.395" @ 21 yds.
    (2) 5 1/2 gr. unique 3 shots in 5.558" @ 21 yds.
    (3) 6 gr. unique 3 shots in 2.201" @ 21 yds.
    I shot about 40 rounds just rolling and trying to roll cans at 50 yds. and shooting at a quart milk jug at 100 yds just having fun. I don't think anything is left in the bbl. that won't patch out.

There was signs of the boolit flying very slightly tip up at 21 yards, only slightly though and could have been due to loose backing my targets were taped to.
    This is absolutely the best boolit i've shot from a 45/410.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 07-20-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Glad to hear that! Did you get the new mould yet?
    I did get to the range early this morning. It was actually almost cool here today with all the cloud cover.
    Glad you got to the range, was just studying on your results a bit. Almost cool here this weekend too. Funny how your rifle prefers the IMR and mine just can't seem to settle down with it.

A brief summary of the 358009 gc, results is that it shoots dismal with h4350 in my rifle, but imr 4350 shoots pretty well.

The avg. of groups fired with 48 gr. imr 4350 is 1.343" @ 100 yds. with the flare removed from the cases and no crimp. Velocity is 1958 fps.

Avg. for 54 gr. imr 4350 is 2.025" @ 100yds. Velocity is 2222 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm...A Tale of Two Rifles. Can only conclude that our experiences prove that rifles are indeed individuals.

"A tale of two rifles" lol, i like the the sound of that. I guess when you think about it it has been quite a party with your "ol ugly" and my "ol contrary". Both very similar with some loads and powders and further apart with others. Both seem to like 4350, but different brands...strange indeed. One thing for sure though, they both shoot "lights out" with the loads they like with the 200 gr. boolits. Still hoping i get the 358009 a bit tighter on the high end. If not, it'll do where it's at.

Boolit Grand Master

It's helpful to have another shooter (and rifle) to confirm/contrast results. The H4350/IMR4350 question is indeed an odd one. On one sheet of paper the velocities/pressures/powder charges sound somewhat similar. On another sheet of paper-the target-another story is sometimes told.
    It's been quite a ride indeed with Ol' Ugly. Over 30 years ago she helped me learn how how to shoot, load and hunt. Now that she's out of retirement she's proven that she has a few more things to teach me, if I'm willing to learn. I guess if both these old girls tell us to take our heavy boolits and.....melt them down into something useful we're still ahead of the game.

It's really ashame that more heavy boolit molds aren't available. There's only a couple still being made. We need more .35 Whelen shooters!