MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Boolit Buddy

newEngland firearms 12 rifled slug gun.. it was my first deer gun ouch.. (so glad we can use a center-fire rifle now
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    ,378 weatherby, still have the scar. traded it off the same week i bought it

Boolit Grand Master

Personally, I've never yet found a rifle with too much recoil for me to handle (although 416 RemMag is the stoutest I have shot)
    I have had a few that were real dogs in the accuracy dept. but I know how to get around that. I just whisper sweet nothings and they follow the sultry sound of my voice.
    I suppose the one that has really bummed me out the worst, was this 1917 Brazilian S&W that my uncle left to me when he passed on. The cylinder chambers were reamed too close together, and the throats were .459, so consequently, it shoots like dog.
    I fixed the problem though by modifying a model 27 cylinder and boring it out to .0005 bigger than groove. Only problem is I just can't decide whether to make it a 45acp like the original or to go ahead and turn it into a 45colt.
    Tough decision!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    6## sighting in 13 rifles one Thanksgiving weekend for PA deer season, everyone waited too long and 3 got new guns. I learned to say no. And to sight in on my chest and not my hunting shoulder.
    I got a good laugh out of this. The shots were ringing out this morning. And I know how packed the ranges will be tomorrow and Saturday. I will never understand people that shoot three shots to sight in and expect to take a deer. Those three sight in shots are the only shots they fire all year.

Ive got a 4lb NEF rifled slug gun i tried touching off a 3" full bore 750 grn slug in...it wasnt pleasant.

12ga pistol.
    It was a registered specimen a gunsmith buddy had.
    I never complained about the PA63 again.
    No Excreta Taures

Boolit Master
    A friend's son showed up at our shooting site once with a .30-378. This was not a long range heavy bench gun; it was one of a handful of standard sporters allegedly built by Weatherby before even Roy had to concede that the "high-velocity, high-intensity" Magnum concept could be pushed to ridiculous extremes. Until mutant Killer Shrews actually grow to a weight of 50 lb or so, there will never be a use for a rifle of this caliber and weight.

I took one shot, which was enough for a lifetime. I flinched and missed whatever I was shooting at at 75 yards. I was utterly uninterested in trying again. This, I was assured, was a "light load" with a mere 100 grains of powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    If you ever try a good one you might have a better experience.
    Try a nice cheap Rock Island Armory, or a Ruger SR1911, and call me in the morning. I won't own a Kimber, or a colt. I carry a RIA compact.
    I would hope for the godawful amount of money they charge for them, a Wilson Combat should be as good as it gets. It shot well enough I suppose. No failures, but I wouldn't trade my Glock for one.

Boolit Master
    Most boring, Contender 22lr pistol.

Least fun with full power loads, ruger no. 3 in 45-70. Ouch!
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    A certain 356 Winchester belonging to another member. 3 shots and I was done. Shoulder ached the rest of the day from that gun.

Boolit Master

12 ga H+R single barrel with 3" turkey load

Boolit Master
    Ha Ha reading through these is great ! Thought of another ...

18 yrs old, only been shooting a couple years. Trip to range with buddy, (great people frequented this range - everybody shot everybody's guns), guy pulls out a .96 cal musket, asks for volunteers, well duh !
    Ready to pull trigger, hear a mumble thru ear muffs, just as I pull trigger I hear "better lean into it more" . Knocked me on my butt ! Asks if I wanna try again ? Uh, no, I'm good, thanks.

He proceeds to nail a gallon milk jug at 100 yds 4 out of 5 shots.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master
    A heavily loaded TC Renegade in 54 cal bites me bad. The stock design and my cheek don't mix well. One or two rounds and I am sore as heck and not willing to fire any more.

Stock design, proper fit, and gun weight make a huge difference. A well fit heavy recoiler is better than a poorlyf it lower recoiler.

Boolit Master
    Problem with the Renegade for full size fellas in LOP and drop at the comb. My .50 was the same until a 1" pad was installed. Turned into one of my favorite rifles after that. It wasn't the shoulder that got stomped, it was my cheek from rolling my head over to find a sight picture.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    TC Contender in .45-70 with a 14" barrel. Even with the muzzle brake, 2 shots were as much as I wanted to attempt. Brutal.

Shiloh
    I only made it as far as one shot with one of those. no more. never.

Boolit Master
    A Smith and Wesson 357 (model) Scandium .41 magnum, flipping brutal.
    It's gone
    My Smith and Wesson 60 3" barrel with .357's, it should be a .38 and has been relegated to them only.
    Any straight grip lever action .45-70, me and straight grip lever guns don't mix with anything more powerful than a revolver cartridge, especially in the woefully light Marlin Cowboy flavor, I'd rather shoot my Ruger 77 mkII magnum in .416 Rigby with full power loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    A few come to mind. In more or less chronological order they are:

A CBC (I think) Brazilian made 12 ga single shot that weighed about 4½ lbs, with a stock that made a dogs hind leg look straight. A buddy and I had been out squirrel hunting with light loads and on the way back we saw a bunch of starlings. Leaning over a fencepost to ground sluice the flying rats with a 1½ oz short magnum was not fun. I gave $15 for it and sold it shortly after wards for $25, I made out for a couple of reasons on that sale.

A Stevens 16 ga that liked to misfire. You never really knew if it was going off or not.

A Winchester Model 670 in .300 Win Mag. Helping to sight it in for one of the rangemasters of one of the local PD's that used my range while thier's was getting rebuilt. 10 rounds were enough for me.

I had a Ruger No.1 in .45-70, and of course had to load up some Elmer Keith Memorial Loads. The box of Speer 405's I had were not up to having a full load of 3031 behind them, a tougher bullet probably would have been fine, but these turned inside out when they hit anything.

The most obnoxious gun I have shot is an H&R Turkey 12 ga 3½" turkey gun. Light, ill balanced with the recoil reducer in the stock, and the dang thing will not even extract a 3½" hull. I took the reducer out of the stock and use light field loads in it for squirrels.

I really didn't care for the 25mm chaingun (should have used a power supply instead of a battery on board ship) or the MK 19 (any gun that is issued with a jackscrew to get projectiles out of the barrel when, not if, a case blows out needs to be redesigned).

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    In my early teens, a friend of my dad was into black powered gun's an I was just getting into them myself. He handed me what I thought to be a old double barreled shot gun. Turn out to be a .500 Nitro Express. Once was enough.
    Next would be a I think it was a North American 45/70 derringer. A whole lot of no fun.
    Another derringer same make in .44mag.
    A Ruger #3 in 45/70
    A .22Lr Sig. auto. Doesn't function very well and the groups are even worse.

Ghost101

Boolit Buddy
    14" TC Contender with the old wood thumb rest grip. When I was 14, I shot one in 44mag with 300gr bullets and max loads of WW296. The recoil was incredible. The gun would twist almost sideways in my hand and flip up almost completely vertical. It hurt...

A 10mm Colt Delta (circa 1995) was a close second. The recoil was very sharp. Interestingly, my all time favorite gun is a ported 10mm Springfield Armory Omega (1911 like). The porting really tames the recoil.

All this talk about 45/70 Ruger No. 3's being unpleasant, has me rethinking my plans to convert a No. 1 into a smokeless 45 cal muzzleloader...

I got a pretty good deal years ago on a Lew Horton model29 with a three inch barrel and round butt.Took it to the range and shot one of my SuperBlackhawk hunting loads with Blue Dot, the muzzle flash and recoil was obscene and the gentleman next to me says "What the hell was that?"
    After that I only fired .44 specials and it still was too much. Made someone else a pretty good deal on it.
    The other two weren't recoil related but hearing related, .357 Maximum and .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawks.