Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primitive archery?

Primitive archery?

anyone else ever tried primitive archery? i was real big into a few years back. used to go hunting rabbits in the fields behind the house. anyone esle ever try it?

Boolit Master

I, and several other men, have hunted deer for 15 years using our version of primitive equipment; i.e., no compound bows, no sights.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

I shoot a custom longbow and several recurves. I also have a nice Mathews Drenlin, but I get the most enjoyment shooting the traditional gear. I took my archery clubs top honors in traditional one year because I shot every single tournament (3D, animal and target) using nothing but my longbow. In fact - I have a whole quiver of flu-flu's permanently in my truck for when I get the urge to hunt some rabbits...

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    I shoot a custom longbow and several recurves. I also have a nice Mathews Drenlin, but I get the most enjoyment shooting the traditional gear. I took my archery clubs top honors in traditional one year because I shot every single tournament (3D, animal and target) using nothing but my longbow. In fact - I have a whole quiver of flu-flu's permanently in my truck for when I get the urge to hunt some rabbits...
    do you make your own arrows. i got real deep into at one point, knapped my own head and cut my own shafts and quills. i think out of 15 shots at rabbits i manged to take 2. i never had much luck with game heads. most of the tips i used for bunnies where home made steel tips.

I am big into archery, and have several of just about every type of bow... From primitive to my hoyt carbon matrix.. I make all my own arrows....

AG

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used them most of my life. Between arthritis and a bad back, I have several recurves and a long bow I can hardly shoot any more. Should pass them on. I do have a sinew backed osage bow that is light enough for me to still shoot. I make my own arrows, foot shafts, and make Flemish twist strings. I've done some sinew strings, hard on the fingers! Not the shooting of them, but the twisting. I did quite a few bows, arrows and quivers for movies and collectors.
    Attachment 84402
    Here are a few different types of arrows.
    Attachment 84405
    Last edited by waksupi; 10-15-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Shshsh, be vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits. Hehehehe

Did a little rabbit hunting with a recurve about 35 years ago. Was good enough to put a couple of bunnies a month on the hibachi. In SoCal it's only cold enough to take them from late Nov to late Feb. Check their livers for tularemia.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Perma-Banned

I used to be pretty heavy into it. My shoulders are not as strong as they used to be so I do not shoot it as much.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=waksupi;2431786]I've used them most of my life. Between arthritis and a bad back, I have several recurves and a long bow I can hardly shoot any more. Should pass them on. I do have a sinew backed osage bow that is light enough for me to still shoot. I make my own arrows, foot shafts, and make Flemish twist strings. I've done some sinew strings, hard on the fingers! Not the shooting of them, but the twisting. I did quite a few bows, arrows and quivers for movies and collectors.
    Attachment 84402

Waksupi,
    That's really very nice work and illustrates another set of things that I've never learned how to do.
    Gun control is not about guns.

I have a few bows still. Have a nice 65lb sinew backed recurve hickory bow. Also have a 130 lb english long war bow. I dont think i could pull it now.......

Boolit Buddy

it's been a few years; but i only shoot with fingers and no sighting adds.

me and my two brothers use to shoot out to 50 yards at 8 inch paper plates.

had to learn how to Fletch my own when i was hitting so close they were getting ripped off by the next arrow.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is my 1959 Tri State Wildcat.... First bow i ever owned, and still shoot it... I reworked it again last year, shooting 38 lbs at 28 in draw.... My favorite bow... It doesnt see the field much anymore, but it sits just above my carbon matrix in the most honored position on the wall... It is a real collector now... At least to me...

Attachment 84440
    Attachment 84442
    Attachment 84443
    Attachment 84444

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    When I was about 14 dad got me a #45 recurve. Carried and shot it at near everything.
    About 20 years ago decided where I hunted in the river bottoms I no longer needed a muzzleloader. So out came the recurves.
    I did use a #55 ash longbow off and on till it snapped in half one morning while limbering it up for some backyard practice. That was exciting and happily the upper limb went over my right shoulder.
    Have an older Bear recurve takedown here with me I practice with but it is not "primitive" being of man made materials. But it was mine and fitted into the suitcase.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I've done the traditional archery and it was very enjoyable. I still have my 2 favorite longbows.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Buddy
    Been shooting/hunting with lonbows and recurves since I was 9, and started making my own longbows about 15 years ago. Very satifying hobby much like casting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by psl sniper View Post
    do you make your own arrows. i got real deep into at one point, knapped my own head and cut my own shafts and quills. i think out of 15 shots at rabbits i manged to take 2. i never had much luck with game heads. most of the tips i used for bunnies where home made steel tips.
    I make all my own arrows also. My Flu-Flu's are footed shafts with a .357 cartridge case for a blunt head, filled with enough lead to make it 125 grains.

I got hooked on traditional archery while I was in college back in 1970, by taking an archery class, you still had to have some physical education back then. Started making take down long bows in 2000 using a Bingham kit, I'm still hunting with that first bow. I've made 16 of them so far, mostly for family and friends. I also make arrows, quivers, and arm guards.............. but I've never done anything really primitive, all of what I do is the more modern traditional equipment. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Bows.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	92612 These are the first two bows that I made one for me and my best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've used them most of my life. Between arthritis and a bad back, I have several recurves and a long bow I can hardly shoot any more. Should pass them on. I do have a sinew backed osage bow that is light enough for me to still shoot. I make my own arrows, foot shafts, and make Flemish twist strings. I've done some sinew strings, hard on the fingers! Not the shooting of them, but the twisting. I did quite a few bows, arrows and quivers for movies and collectors.
    Attachment 84402
    Here are a few different types of arrows.
    Attachment 84405
    Very nice work and detail waksupi. Love that quiver. I have a pinched nerve or disc in my back that has affected my shooting now a days too but i still love to try. I especially love the cherokee style flat handled bows and that is my favorite to make but also make a few neolithic european styles as well. There's nothing quite like a well made all wood bow, especially one you've made yourself. I love seeing folks keeping the old traditions going and passing it on.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice, love it. Got my girls 8-7 Easton recurves this Christmas.
    I was not expecting to find this thread here, very cool. Found a mag last year 'Primitive Archery' fell in love with all thing wood. Bows, stock, furniture. Want to learn flint knapping, arrow making, flax gathering etc. teach the kids, learn 'em to track and hunt.
    I have my eyes on a Samick Sage, hell yeah. More time in the bush to hunt, not just rifle season now!!!
    Last edited by Littleton Shot Maker; 02-04-2014 at 03:12 AM.

Boolit Master

My dad taught me when I was 5, and I was allowed to roam the property with a bow and arrows long before I was allowed the same liberty with a BB gun or rifle. A simple 10# fiberglass Bear recurve. Had lots of other bows over the years, but that old red recurve is the only one I care to remember. I dabbled in everything bow-related for many years and still enjoy reading about it.

Once my son gets a few years older, I will teach him the ways of the bow, and we'll make some bows and arrows together. Looking forward to it. A proper woodsman MUST be able to make and use a bow.

Bulldogger